Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 30 Nov 2012 (Friday) 18:40
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Use your camera to create slit camera (slit-scan or timeline) images.

Martin ­ Dixon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
Ealing
May 17, 2013 09:00 |  #31

Panphoto wrote in post #15937182external link
Here's an image I made using your program! I hope you like it. David

I do!! its brilliant - what is it! Can I use it (attributed of course) on slitcam.comexternal link?

flickrexternal link Editing OKexternal link

sponsored links
Panphoto
35 posts
Joined May 2013
May 17, 2013 15:32 as a reply to Martin Dixon's post |  #32

Hi Martin,.....Bluebells! If you'll excuse the pun, it is spring after all. It's not an original idea, check out Bryan Mumford's and Ted Kinsman's work, to name but 2. I'm flattered that you like it enough to want it on your website...so of course! The quality looks rather ropey at only 150kb so let me know what size you'd prefer. David

Martin ­ Dixon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
Ealing
May 17, 2013 18:37 |  #33

Panphoto wrote in post #15923728external link
Please can you tell me how to configure the program to accept stills

Done!

I have a modified version which I have just successfully processed a set of 200 .JPG images.

See slitcam.comexternal link where I have now added a link to the bare sketch - please let me know if this works OK for you.

Martin ­ Dixon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
Ealing
May 18, 2013 05:06 |  #34

Panphoto wrote in post #15941924external link
Bluebells!

Thanks David - I have added your image to the home page :)

Also linked to the 2 people you mentioned.

Cheers!

Panphoto
35 posts
Joined May 2013
May 19, 2013 04:31 as a reply to Martin Dixon's post |  #35

Hi Martin, You'll see from the attached image that I've run into a blockage. I think it might be an addressing issue but really I'm only guessing. I hope I've provided you with sufficient info. David

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Martin ­ Dixon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
Ealing
May 19, 2013 12:34 |  #36

panphoto - not sure why this should happen

The sort is probably unnecessary so try removing it

// Arrays.sort(imglist);

"//" comments out the line.
Possibly comment out the line:

// import java.util.Arrays; // probably not needed - ensures file names are sorted.

let me know if this works, otherwise open up the bottom right output box (black background bit) and send a screenshot of just that bit - can't quite read the one above.

Cheers!

Martin ­ Dixon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
Ealing
May 20, 2013 10:59 |  #37

I have created version 0.02 0f the image processing version which is now on slitcam.comexternal link Ist should be a bit more friendly with error messages and contains a (poor!) set of images to test it.

Panphoto
35 posts
Joined May 2013
May 21, 2013 16:27 as a reply to Martin Dixon's post |  #38

Hi Martin,
Sorry for the delay in trying out your new program. You'll see from a crop of the full size image at 100% that whilst the program has worked admirably the same can't be said for my efforts. In all I used 838 JPEG images, at 7360 x 4912 pixels. It took about an hour to shoot with the turntable rotating 300-degrees approx.

HOSTED PHOTO

You'll see that stepping is very noticeable, presumably indicating that far more images need to be made per revolution, or the speed of the turtable needs to be slower. Realistically though, I think we'd be talking about many thousands of images to achieve the desired smoothness at high resolutions. Also, notice that there are subtle vertical striations visible slightly left of centre - probably the result of tiny luminance changes from the tungsten lighting over the lengthy exposure period. Clearly this is not the way to go with high resolution slitscan. I feel sorry that your work has come to this but it does at least clarify the options. So, thank you again for your noble efforts in this regard.
There are however 3 possible alternative solutions, neither of them cheap:
1. Sony make a slow-motion (up to 200fps HD) video camera, the FS-700 which is 4K ready, so double the width of HD. The camera is available but as yet the 4K recorder isn't. Little change can be expected from £14,000 + lenses.
2. Seitz make a D3 Roundshot panoramic camera that has a vertical size of 7500 px. This will set you back around £30,000 + lenses.
3. Spheron make a panoramic camera too. I don't know what size the chip is but it's the one used by Jay Mark Johnson. I believe that this camera is in the £40,000 region.
So far no one has come up with a 'smiley' that captures the depth of disappointment this all brings! David

Martin ­ Dixon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
Ealing
May 22, 2013 04:59 |  #39

Panphoto Glad you got the program to work!

Many people have admired your bluebell image :)

I think(?) the magic lantern people have made 4k video possible from a 5dmkIII if you happen to have one.

What kind of turntable to you use? I am inspired to give this a go if I can figure out a very cheap way to do it!

Martin ­ Dixon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
Ealing
May 22, 2013 05:21 |  #40

Panphoto: I am assuming you mount the camera very firmly and an external shutter release timer, if so what rate of image taking and speed of turntable? Presumably manual mode to avoid exposure changes, fixed WB.

Do you use mirror lockup (I think you need to be in live view for multiple images)? I was wondering inf the turntable drive mechanism triggers the shutter.

The image looks as if steps are more than 1 pixel which is odd. Perhaps some kind of vibration o synch problem with shutter rate?? What was the subject?

Panphoto
35 posts
Joined May 2013
May 22, 2013 12:13 as a reply to Martin Dixon's post |  #41

Hi Martin,
Dare I say it on this forum but I'm a Nikon D800 user which already has a RAW video output, though not 4K...but the way things are going I'm sure it won't be long.
My turntable is made by Seitz and is actually the bottom part of a Roundshot 220VR Panoramic film camera. I was on the verge of putting it on ebay but realised that with a small accessory (it was designed to be used also as a slitscan/panoramic/per​iphery camera) I could use it as a very accurate and flexible turntable with stepper-motor control. It allows you to assign an angle and also the speed per revolution...ideal for this kind of work. The camera operates independently of the turntable. Manual mode of course.
These cameras come up on ebay from time to time with an asking price between £1,000 -£6,000, more often at the lower price.
Regarding the image, as posted, I expanded it about 3-4 times to show the stepping effect more clearly. I didn't take notes but I think that the interval was about 1 sec between exposures of 1/2 sec. So, thinking about it again, the gap might be excessive. You make a good point about the mirror-up/live view. I didn't do it that way and maybe I should have. So when I've got the setup in place again I'll do a sequence like that...I think it should make a significant difference. The subject by the way was a lump of coral. More in due course...hopefully all is not lost! David

Martin ­ Dixon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
Ealing
May 23, 2013 04:29 |  #42

Very impressive stuff! Glad you found this forum despite its Canon bias. I see Canon and Nikon as extraordinarily similar, just wish they had both adopted an open set of standards and were cheaper!

The stepper motor seems likely cause of the steps in the image?

I was thinking (in the distant future?) of digging out an old record player turntable and rejigging it to revolve very slowly - perhaps with a trigger for the shutter.

Panphoto
35 posts
Joined May 2013
May 25, 2013 07:00 as a reply to Martin Dixon's post |  #43

Hi Martin,
You'll be pleased to know that the new program works fine, I've learned from my earlier errors! The detail below left is a full height render compressed down for the forum, so with some artifacts. I slowed down the rotation speed and increased the number of shots - in this case to 800pixels (therefore 800 shots) from top to bottom. The exposures were spaced 1s apart, lit with a diffused tungsten Redhead. I used the built-in intervalometer in the D800 and the sequence took roughly 30 minutes. So a 30MP image done this way would take a few hours!

The other image is a version made from a video file using your earlier program. It's the same subject but sliced from a slightly different place. The subject by the way is the blossom from a Chestnut tree.
David

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Martin ­ Dixon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
Ealing
May 25, 2013 13:48 |  #44

Gorgeous!

daveduca
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Aug 21, 2013 16:47 |  #45

Hi Martin,
Love your program. It simplifies my process tremendously. Three years ago, I figured out a painstaking, Rube Goldberg way of achieving SlitScan using three programs and two operating systems (at first). In the process, I also discovered that Time was one dimension, and that a higher frame rate would increase Time resolution. I recently acquired a GoPro Here 3, which has the capability of shooting @ 240 fps, albeit @ SD (848x480). This has allowed for much better images, though limited in to a max of 848 pixels tall. This is a slightly cropped version of a ten person bike.
Not being a programmer, I was wondering how difficult it would be to modify your program so that the slit could move? Basically, start at the left, and go to the right for the length of the video, (or the number of images).
Thanks again,
Dave

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

35,737 views & 11 likes for this thread
Use your camera to create slit camera (slit-scan or timeline) images.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.