Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > The POTN Lounge
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd of December 2012 (Sun)   #1
nardox

Default USPS not updating tracking status?

A friend of mine borrowed a lens from me while he came in town a few weeks ago, when he went back to New York he forgot to give the lens back to me so he decided to ship it back to me.

He used USPS Priority Mail and sent the package out on Friday, but so far the tracking status of the package is stuck in 'Electronic Shipping Info Received'. The track status did show 'Manifest Ack' for a very brief period but now the 'Manifest Ack' is gone.

Does USPS update their tracking status during weekend? What is this 'Manifest Ack' thing?
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 2nd of December 2012 (Sun)   #2
mjkubba

Default Re: USPS not updating tracking status?

no USPS sucks, they don't update the tracking during weekends/holidays.
mjkubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of December 2012 (Sun)   #3
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

USPS and Tracking are mutually exclusive concepts. If your local office happens to be conscientious, you'll get reasonably current data once the package hits them Otherwise, don't hold your breath.

Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules
and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of December 2012 (Mon)   #4
gibbit1

Yeah, I just got a package delivered on Saturday, and the USPS tracking still said "Electronic info received". I also have my wife's new Kindle en route, and the tracking has two very disturbing entries. The first says "possible delay in delivery due to arrival at incorrect sort facility". Then the tracking showed it had arrived in my home town...and was shipped out again...to a city 70 miles away! WTF!? I hope it still gets delivered today.
Gear: EOS 5DMKII; EOS 400D; Canon 24-105mm f/4 L; Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 EX; Canon 70-200mm f/4 L; Canon 135mm f/2.0 L; Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 with EOS adaptor, only enough knowledge to be a clear and present danger to society.
flickr

Last edited by gibbit1 : 3rd of December 2012 (Mon) at 05:29. Reason: Spelling
gibbit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of December 2012 (Mon)   #5
mark48

I would never send anything of value via the USPS. Their tracking system leaves a lot to be desired and I've had things being tracked as "delivered" only to be actually delivered the next day. I would not rely on them at all. UPS or FedEx.
mark48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of December 2012 (Mon)   #6
Gizmo1137

I have shipped packages using the delivery confirmation service (i use the term lightly) and the recipient has notified me of receipt of the package, before the tracking shows the arrival. USPS sucks.
Old 3rd of December 2012 (Mon)   #7
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop

be happy if they get it there
rick_reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of December 2012 (Mon)   #8
IShootThings

USPS has horrible online tracking. I wouldn't be too worried.
Old 3rd of December 2012 (Mon)   #9
ventureon
User is banned from forums

they got a huge funding cut a while back if i recall correctly. they changed a lot of protocol.
ventureon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of December 2012 (Mon)   #10
Josh_30

I've never had anything lost by them, but yeah, it's only useful to make sure something got there within a day or two after. Their tracking sucks when compared to just about anyone else.
GEAR LIST 5D Mark III/G11/60D/580EX II/430EX/430EX II/Tokina 10-17/17-35 2.8L/24-70 2.8L/24-105 4L IS/70-200 2.8L IS/EF 50 1.4/EF 85 1.8/TAMRON SP AF 1.4x/TAMRON SP AF 90 2.8 MACRO/Manfrotto 209 & 055XPROB/488RC2/GITZO 1541T/MARKINS Q3T
Josh_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of December 2012 (Wed)   #11
20DNewbie
"don't listen to me, I'm an idiot"

Yup the tracking definitely sucks. I've got a package coming in from Canada but according to the tracking it's been sitting in customs in San Francisco since the 28th.

20DNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of December 2012 (Thu)   #12
morph2_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbit1 View Post
Yeah, I just got a package delivered on Saturday, and the USPS tracking still said "Electronic info received". I also have my wife's new Kindle en route, and the tracking has two very disturbing entries. The first says "possible delay in delivery due to arrival at incorrect sort facility". Then the tracking showed it had arrived in my home town...and was shipped out again...to a city 70 miles away! WTF!? I hope it still gets delivered today.
I've seen that before but can't remember the carrier exactly (I think it's USPS). A package arrived in my town sorting facility (less than 20 miles from where I live). It then got shipped out the next day to central California, about 150+ miles from my home. I got it a couple of days later.
morph2_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of December 2012 (Fri)   #13
gibbit1

Quote:
Originally Posted by morph2_7 View Post
I've seen that before but can't remember the carrier exactly (I think it's USPS). A package arrived in my town sorting facility (less than 20 miles from where I live). It then got shipped out the next day to central California, about 150+ miles from my home. I got it a couple of days later.
I still got mine the same day. It arrived back in my town early in the morning, and was out for delivery that day. Don't know why it had to take a 70 mile detour, but I got it.
Gear: EOS 5DMKII; EOS 400D; Canon 24-105mm f/4 L; Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 EX; Canon 70-200mm f/4 L; Canon 135mm f/2.0 L; Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 with EOS adaptor, only enough knowledge to be a clear and present danger to society.
flickr
gibbit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of December 2012 (Sat)   #14
Thorrulz
Goldmember

Every item I have shipped using USPS here in the Midwest has arrived at it's location on the same date as promised or earlier. UPS or FEDEX though, even if their tracking is superior I can literally watch an item circle within a 100 mile radius of my address for a day or more and pass through several locations inside that radius before it gets delivered at any time of day. Did I say day, I live within 10 miles of both UPS and FEDEX and most of the time it's 5:00pm or later and usually nighttime before I get my package.

With USPS I have my items by 10:00AM on the morning that was promised. I can live without tracking as long as I get my item without any hassle.
Thorrulz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of December 2012 (Sun)   #15
oldtimingman

When I order small 'mailbox size' items from New York they usually come usps, almost always if the shipping is free. All my packages end up in Utah and then are backtracked to Colorado. I'm not sure what logic is used to determine 'cost effectiveness' but something is missing. They operate like they have a rich Uncle footing the bill.....

....old