Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd of December 2012 (Mon)   #1
LV Moose
Silly Wonka

Default 5DIII and off-camera flash options

First, I've yet to use an off-camera flash, so forgive my ignorance.

Am I correct in thinking that the 5DIII needs a cord or separate trigger unit to trigger a 580EXII, but it will (via radio signal) trigger the 600EX-RT?

If I use both a 600EX-RT and a 580EXII off camera, can I use the 600 to trigger the 580?

If either is used ON camera, can it trigger the other?

Thanks

Gear... Flickr...Macro...Hummingbirds
LV Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of December 2012 (Mon)   #2
Mistabernie
Goldmember

Default Re: 5DIII and off-camera flash options

I'm going to jump around a bit..

Quote:
If either is used ON camera, can it trigger the other?
Yes, but only optically. The 580EX-II can be a wireless master on a camera (or on a TTL Cord). The same is also true, but if you're trying to trigger non-RT flashes (anything but a 600EX-RT), then you have to do it optically.

Quote:
Am I correct in thinking that the 5DIII needs a cord or separate trigger unit to trigger a 580EXII, but it will (via radio signal) trigger the 600EX-RT?
This is a confusing question, but here's your answer -- to trigger any flash off of the 5D3, you need either a cable connected to the flash off the camera, or some sort of trigger -- that trigger can be Canon's ST-E3-RT Radio Trigger for 600EX-RTs, ST-E2 trigger for optical trigger (which will trigger any optical slave), or a third party trigger (Such as PocketWizard Plus system or TT1/TT5s, Pixel Kings, etc).

To clarify: the 5D3 will not, without a trigger/transmitter, fire the 600EX-RT via radio. It doesn't have the capability built in, and to my knowledge, no camera will have radio firing built in, as this would kill future sales of the ST-E3-RT radio transmitter.

Quote:
If I use both a 600EX-RT and a 580EXII off camera, can I use the 600 to trigger the 580?
I think I addressed this earlier for you; basically, yes, but only optically. You need one to be the master and one to be the slave; the 580EX-II only has the one slave mode (optically), and the 600EX-RT has two master modes (radio and optical).
Mistabernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of December 2012 (Mon)   #3
LV Moose
Silly Wonka

Thanks, Bernie. I appreciate the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistabernie View Post
To clarify: the 5D3 will not, without a trigger/transmitter, fire the 600EX-RT via radio. It doesn't have the capability built in...
Dang. For some reason I thought the 5DIII had that capability with the 600EX-RT.

This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of December 2012 (Mon)   #4
starkyrulz

first do you want to keep it easy - use ettl with all ocf and just dial in exposure control i n groups - go for the 600ex-rt anf 580exii or 430exii. if you want to go the manual way you can use the yongnou rf603 and some cheap yongnou flashes.

my advice when you want some quick snaps of family etc while travelling etc - keep one/two ettl flashes handy. Helps when you are on the run and do not have time to change settings etc.

PS: coming to your question, the 600 can control the 580exii/430exII optically and the radio will not work in parallel - don't know the other way round though.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/suprateep/
http://500px.com/starkyrulz
starkyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of December 2012 (Mon)   #5
LV Moose
Silly Wonka

thanks Starky

Old 21st of January 2013 (Mon)   #6
wmcy

I know I am joining this thread a little late, but I just purchased a 5DIII and 600 series Speedlite. I, like the above poster, I am almost certain I read somewhere that this body/Speedlite combo would work wirelessly without additional "help". Not the reason I bought either, but was certainly looking forward to this convenience which is offered by Nikon.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 22nd of January 2013 (Tue)   #7
mystik610

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcy View Post
I know I am joining this thread a little late, but I just purchased a 5DIII and 600 series Speedlite. I, like the above poster, I am almost certain I read somewhere that this body/Speedlite combo would work wirelessly without additional "help". Not the reason I bought either, but was certainly looking forward to this convenience which is offered by Nikon.

Thanks for the clarification.
Nikon's (and some Canons) have optical flash triggers.....which, IMO, are somewhat of a novelty as their performance is hindered by the need to maintain a line of sight between the body and the speedlight.

600 EX needs the ST-E3 radio trigger to fire off camera. It's expensive, but worlds more versatile than an optical trigger, and much less cumbersome than something like a pocket wizard. As of right now, Nikon doesn't offer a radio flash trigger system.

I picked up a ST-E3 today and am really liking how intuitive and minimalistic/simple it is to operate. (setting up optical triggers is a PITA)
Old 22nd of January 2013 (Tue)   #8
wmcy

Thanks Mystik. I will look into the ST-E3. It sounds like a viable option.

Wm.
Old 22nd of January 2013 (Tue)   #9
dexy101

I just got one of my 2 600EX-RT's for my 5D3 and a set of these . http://www.pixelhk.com/proshow.aspx?id=101

They are pretty good, at first they didn't work at all but after a 2 minute firmware upgrade online they work perfectly. You can also change all the settings for the flashes on camera and have the flashes on the trigger somewhere else.

Gear List
dexy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of January 2013 (Tue)   #10
apersson850
Cream of the Crop

Setting up optical triggers, which the 600 EX-RT also supports, to be compatible with the previous 580 EX II, isn't any more cumbersome than the radio version. Not the setup and programming, that is. It's making sure the slaves can see the optical control signals (flashes) from the master that's the cumbersome part of the whole thing.

Just in case that was unclear from the previous post.
Old 22nd of January 2013 (Tue)   #11
Northwoods Bill

The ST-E3 works very well. I use it to trigger the 600ex-rt flashes and it works great. The camera will not fire the 600 directly without the use of the ST-E3 but interestingly I seem to remember reading somewhere that it would. I am thinking there must be an add or a review out there that is not as clear as it could be. I know there are people that will disagree but given the 600ex's wireless ability I can't imagine why anyone just getting started would deal with ettl cords or optical triggers.
Northwoods Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of January 2013 (Tue)   #12
dmward
Cream of the Crop

Unless you already have speedlites you are doing yourself a long term disservice unless you get 600Ex-RT(s) and optionally an STE3-RT to trigger the 600s off camera.

You have more control via the camera LCD and External Flash Control menu(s).

I have 5DIII and 600EX-RTs as well as lots of other speedlites and monolights. There is nothing available in the speedlite realm that is as easy to use and control from the camera.
Old 22nd of January 2013 (Tue)   #13
wmcy

All,

Thanks for your response to my post re the 600 ex-rt. Other than the booklet that came with the speedlite, is there any resource or link that you've found beneficial as a good training tool. I am coming from the Nikon world and the Canon lighting configuration is new to me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

BTW, loving my 5DMIII - and the very helpful POTN.
Wm.
Old 22nd of January 2013 (Tue)   #14
dmward
Cream of the Crop

Syl Arena did some useful videos when he had the Pre-production 600s. He was using a 5DII at the time but still it was useful.

I think they are still accessible via his website or blog.
Old 23rd of January 2013 (Wed)   #15
dexy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcy View Post
All,

Thanks for your response to my post re the 600 ex-rt. Other than the booklet that came with the speedlite, is there any resource or link that you've found beneficial as a good training tool. I am coming from the Nikon world and the Canon lighting configuration is new to me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

BTW, loving my 5DMIII - and the very helpful POTN.
Wm.
I got couple of books for my speedlite.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Speedliters-...8944703&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Speedl...8944703&sr=8-8

I know that is the UK site but i got them via kindle books on amazon and put on my Iphone and Ipad.

Gear List
dexy101 is offline   Reply With Quote