Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th of December 2012 (Thu)   #1
alintx

Default 600EX-RT gels and holder?

Have misplaced one (of 3) gel holders and gels for a 600EX-RT. I don't see that set offered anywhere, as accessories or otherwise. Maybe I'm looking under the wrong rocks.

I have read several of the threads questioning whether the flash actually recognizes Canon's exact gels, or just uses the sensors on the flash head to determine if a) the flash is gelled and b) if it is gelled, then with which one of the two gels included in the original box is in use.

So . . . anyone know a source for a replacement set (and extra Canon-made gels, 'cos you know more are going to go missing)?
5DIII, 5DII, T2i, TS-E 24mm f3.5L II, 17-40 f/4L, 24-70mm f2.8L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 70-200 f/2.8 L II, 135mm f/2L, 180mm f/3.5L, Canon 40mm f/2.8, Sigma 50-500 OS, 3 x 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, RRS tripod + BH-55, bags out the wazoo, other crap +++Austin Real Estate
Appraisal IQ
alintx is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 27th of December 2012 (Thu)   #2
convergent
Goldmember

Default Re: 600EX-RT gels and holder?

I couldn't find any additional gels or anything that work with that setup, so I just ordered a Rogue gel kit that attaches with a big black rubber band and going to use that until Canon (or someone else) starts producing something compatible with the 600EX system. It was a great idea, but execution seems lacking. Also, the way the thing is made, its a bit of a pain to pack in the camera bag without breaking. The Rogue system is completely flat.
convergent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of December 2012 (Thu)   #3
alintx

Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent View Post
I couldn't find any additional gels or anything that work with that setup, so I just ordered a Rogue gel kit that attaches with a big black rubber band and going to use that until Canon (or someone else) starts producing something compatible with the 600EX system. It was a great idea, but execution seems lacking. Also, the way the thing is made, its a bit of a pain to pack in the camera bag without breaking. The Rogue system is completely flat.
Thanks. Glad to know I'm a) not alone, and b) not completely crazy.

The holders are annoying - can't find any way to transport them neatly/compactly. Why on earth didn't they design the flash case to hold them like it holds the flash foot?

When you use your Rogue gels, are you still using ETTL, or do you set them manually?
5DIII, 5DII, T2i, TS-E 24mm f3.5L II, 17-40 f/4L, 24-70mm f2.8L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 70-200 f/2.8 L II, 135mm f/2L, 180mm f/3.5L, Canon 40mm f/2.8, Sigma 50-500 OS, 3 x 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, RRS tripod + BH-55, bags out the wazoo, other crap +++Austin Real Estate
Appraisal IQ
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 27th of December 2012 (Thu)   #4
dmward
Cream of the Crop

replacement filter holders that fit the 600Ex-RT are available from B&H, Adorama and others. It appears to be a Canon part number.

More important, there is a company in England that is offering a wide range of filters cut to fit the holder. Reasonable prices and acceptable delivery delay considering Royal and US postal services.
They are at flashgels.co.uk
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of December 2012 (Sat)   #5
convergent
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by alintx View Post
Thanks. Glad to know I'm a) not alone, and b) not completely crazy.

The holders are annoying - can't find any way to transport them neatly/compactly. Why on earth didn't they design the flash case to hold them like it holds the flash foot?

When you use your Rogue gels, are you still using ETTL, or do you set them manually?
Thus far I'm on ETTL.
convergent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of December 2012 (Sun)   #6
Whortleberry

Alison: Here you go:
Canon SCH-E1 filter holder at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...er_Holder.html
Canon SCF-E1 gel set at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ilter_Set.html
Wow, they certainly know how to charge for those things! Add the carriage costs on and it was an expensive loss. But we've all been there, done that - goodness only knows how much gear I've left here, there and everywhere over the decades.
Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4" Ross Xpres, 6" Aldis, Super XX in 24 DDS, HP3 in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20. Just one or two other bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about!
FlickR ◄► The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.08 ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79

Last edited by Whortleberry : 3rd of January 2013 (Thu) at 04:47.
Whortleberry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of January 2013 (Thu)   #7
SillyGuy

these holders are freaking annoying. most annoying size ever.
Old 3rd of January 2013 (Thu)   #8
Indecent Exposure
Goldmember

Nikon's gel holder is similar in size to the Canon's, but Nikon offers many more gel colors apart from the 2 CTOs Canon does.

I picked up the comprehensive 20-piece Rogue set, with gels made by Lee, and haven't looked back. I liked them so much I also picked up the Rogue grid spot kit and gel set.

Honl also makes a well thought out gel kit.
Gear List and Feedback
Indecent Exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of January 2013 (Thu)   #9
alintx

Thank you for the links and info. Yeah, expensive lesson. I have also recently realized that the lovely young woman who cleans my place has been squirreling little things in drawers as she tidies up . . . legos, mixed with quarters, mixed with single socks and pen caps. I'm betting I find all sorts of things the deeper I dig. #firstworldproblems
Appraisal IQ
Old 3rd of January 2013 (Thu)   #10
Whortleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indecent Exposure View Post
I picked up the comprehensive 20-piece Rogue set, with gels made by Lee, and haven't looked back. I liked them so much I also picked up the Rogue grid spot kit and gel set.
Yes, I like the Rogue idea although I find it rather whimsical that the filters are exported from Southampton (UK) to USA and then re-imported. Not the cheapest way to buy filters but it's a nice flat little bag which tucks in just about anywhere very easily.

If you think the Canon and Nikon filters are awkward, take a look at the old ones for Metz 45s - YUK, just asking to be broken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Metz 45-32.jpg (39.8 KB, 84 views)
Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4" Ross Xpres, 6" Aldis, Super XX in 24 DDS, HP3 in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20. Just one or two other bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about!
FlickR ◄► The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.08 ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79

Last edited by Whortleberry : 3rd of January 2013 (Thu) at 18:38.
Whortleberry is online now   Reply With Quote