Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th of January 2013 (Sat)   #1
LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop

Default Why are the SAME Canon lenses getting more expensive year after year?

Seriously...wtf is going on? Canon is introducing new lenses at more and more astronomical prices, and existing lenses (that have been around for 10-20 years) are costing more and more each year.

Example: Last year I bought a Canon 100 f2 for $425 with a $50 instant rebate. Right now that SAME lens is $450 with the $50 rebate. WHY?? It's not the tsunami (its effects were actually more apparent last year)...it's just Canon screwing us, isn't it? I've been a loyal Canon customer for years, but lately they've just been taking us for a bunch of suckers.

Just venting...that's all....

LowriderS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 5th of January 2013 (Sat)   #2
kouasupra
Goldmember

Default Re: Why are the SAME Canon lenses getting more expensive year after year?

Canon wants us to believe its a "Inflation" problem.

GEARS
kouasupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of January 2013 (Sat)   #3
Earwax69

Default Re: Why are the SAME Canon lenses getting more expensive year after year?

Well, american dollar is low and yen is high. Of course prices of japanese goods are rising. 6 years ago it was the opposite.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 5th of January 2013 (Sat)   #4
sol95

I agree that it is infuriating to see prices chop and change so much...

but, much of it is currency fluctuations...the cost of lens production is in Japanese Yen, and with the dismally performing US Dollar, of course the nominal USD price will go up.

On the other end, prices for us here in Australia have fallen compared to what they were even just 12-18 months ago. It's just a reflection of how poorly the US is doing these days.

It doesn't explain everything, but i guess a significant part of it is fluctuations of various economies in this globalised world we now live in...

Last edited by sol95 : 5th of January 2013 (Sat) at 05:11.
sol95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of January 2013 (Sat)   #5
LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earwax69 View Post
Well, american dollar is low and yen is high. Of course prices of japanese goods are rising. 6 years ago it was the opposite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol95 View Post
I agree that it is infuriating to see prices chop and change so much...

but, much of it is currency fluctuations...the cost of lens production is in Japanese Yen, and with the dismally performing US Dollar, of course the nominal USD price will go up.

On the other end, prices for us here in Australia have fallen compared to what they were even just 12-18 months ago. It's just a reflection of how poorly the US is doing these days.

It doesn't explain everything, but i guess a significant part of it is fluctuations of various economies in this globalised world we now live in...
Ahhh...interesting....that sounds very plausible. However...the price of Japanese cars, MP3 players and computers isn't going up...so why just lenses? Are Nikon lens prices skyrocketing as well?
LowriderS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of January 2013 (Sat)   #6
sol95

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowriderS10 View Post
Ahhh...interesting....that sounds very plausible. However...the price of Japanese cars, MP3 players and computers isn't going up...so why just lenses? Are Nikon lens prices skyrocketing as well?
When's the last time you bought a car, mp3 player, or computer that was actually made in japan, even though it's a japanese company?

as for nikon lenses, no idea what goes on that side of the fence....
sol95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of January 2013 (Sat)   #7
Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember

You think you're getting ripped off? Come live in Europe or CIS here with us, then you'll be glad to get things for so cheap anywhere else in the world.

Quote:
When's the last time you bought a car, mp3 player, or computer that was actually made in japan, even though it's a japanese company?
I find that funny, Zeiss lenses are made by Cosina in Japan, and Japanese lenses are probably made somewhere even cheaper.
Modern photographers are unbelievably spoiled by how cheap things are today overall. Want to buy an actual Zeiss or Leica lens actually made in Germany? It'll set you back at least $5000 for one of the cheaper ones. Thank the Asian machine for making $450 lenses possible at all.

I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.
Kolor-Pikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of January 2013 (Sat)   #8
Earwax69

If you consider, lenses like the 18-55 IS II and 55-250mm are very very cheap for what you get.
Old 5th of January 2013 (Sat)   #9
bent toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowriderS10 View Post
Seriously...wtf is going on? Canon is introducing new lenses at more and more astronomical prices, and existing lenses (that have been around for 10-20 years) are costing more and more each year.

Example: Last year I bought a Canon 100 f2 for $425 with a $50 instant rebate. Right now that SAME lens is $450 with the $50 rebate. WHY?? It's not the tsunami (its effects were actually more apparent last year)...it's just Canon screwing us, isn't it? I've been a loyal Canon customer for years, but lately they've just been taking us for a bunch of suckers.

Just venting...that's all....

Totally agree.. when looking at the 1993 model 28 f/1.8 USM and the pricetag it have.. it's outrageous. Show me any product that is 20 years old and still have a expensive pricetag. No, art does not count
They did release the 40mm pancake for a reasonable price
Old 5th of January 2013 (Sat)   #10
Zivnuska
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by bent toe View Post
Totally agree.. when looking at the 1993 model 28 f/1.8 USM and the pricetag it have.. it's outrageous. Show me any product that is 20 years old and still have a expensive pricetag.
Coca Cola Price History

Based on advertisements in the Daily Record (a Morristown, NJ newspaper) over the years, Pepsi and Coca Cola prices look like this:

[1944] Coca Cola, .05/bottle

[1982] Coke, .99/1 litre bottle

[1995] Coca Cola, .59-.99/2 litre bottle

[2002] Coca Cola .99/2 litre bottle

[2005] Coca Cola, 1.09/2 litre bottle

Drink up!

http://sodaisgood.blogspot.com/2008/...la-prices.html

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."
Zivnuska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of January 2013 (Sat)   #11
bent toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivnuska View Post
Coca Cola Price History

Based on advertisements in the Daily Record (a Morristown, NJ newspaper) over the years, Pepsi and Coca Cola prices look like this:

[1944] Coca Cola, .05/bottle

[1982] Coke, .99/1 litre bottle

[1995] Coca Cola, .59-.99/2 litre bottle

[2002] Coca Cola .99/2 litre bottle

[2005] Coca Cola, 1.09/2 litre bottle

Drink up!

http://sodaisgood.blogspot.com/2008/...la-prices.html
You had to be that guy dident you?
Old 5th of January 2013 (Sat)   #12
vaflower

L Lenses still made in JAPAN - unlike Nikon counterparts are now all in Asia.

I bet when Canon moved all of its production oversea, there will be a premium over the originally Japanese made lenses. Buy them up !
Old 5th of January 2013 (Sat)   #13
JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"

Is this thread really questioning if inflation is a real thing?
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of January 2013 (Sat)   #14
nightcat
Goldmember

greed!
nightcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of January 2013 (Sat)   #15
Sarel

Very Simple.

Because we are dumb enough to pay their prices over and over again.

35L | 85L Mk II | 135L | 300L | 17-40L | 24-105L | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8IS | EF 1.4X II | 580EX II
Sarel is offline   Reply With Quote