Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > General Photography Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th of January 2013 (Sat)   #1
jlstan

Default NYIP

Does anyone have any current reviews of NYIP. I have read past reviews what I am looking for is from Sept. 2012 to current. Is it good? I am looking for a structured program. I am a hobbyist and have learned tons on-line.In a nut shell is the course worth it? I can get it for $798.00

jlstan
jlstan is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 5th of January 2013 (Sat)   #2
Heath
Goldmember

Default Re: NYIP

I have not taken any courses at NYIP, but I really like ICP.

ICP and SVA seem to come up the most in conversation when looking for photography classes in NYC.

Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of January 2013 (Sat)   #3
tonylong
do I really have to respond?

I gather that NYIP is mainly about photography in and of itself. It offers things like direct comments on your shots.

There are online "courses" that have a very good reputation and that offer pretty extensive coverage of both photography and digital post-processing. KelbyTraining.com and Lynda.com are two examples.
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
tonylong is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of January 2013 (Sun)   #4
jlstan

Is anyone currently in the course?
jlstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of January 2013 (Sun)   #5
alabama1980

I don't have personal experience with it, however I do know someone that completed it. This person recently commented on a shot of mine of my niece in front of the Christmas tree. They wanted to know how I got the nice orbs of light in the background. I replied that it was simply using a large aperture and the subjects distance from the light to make them go out of focus. I really don't think if the course was worth the price that question would'nt have had to be asked. Your mileage may vary.
asheltonphoto.com
alabama1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of January 2013 (Sun)   #6
V4her

I am currently in the course. It covers both photography and business aspects. the initial assignments are rather basic, covering very specific single aspects of photography such as DoF or selective focus. Later lessons are more complex assignments covering different areas of photography, from portraiture, sports, architectural, etc. So you get exposure to different areas should you not know what or how to shoot that area. Each assignment is critiqued.

Is it great? No. It is a good general course covering a broad area that will make you work to improve and explore your photography.