Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Jan 2013 (Sunday) 14:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: Fuji Users Unite - Post your comments, questions and images here

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
2,254 posts
Gallery: 251 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited 3 months ago by Two Hot Shoes.

Feb 06, 2018 10:46 as a reply to  @ post 18557556 |  #6571

23/2 is a good lens from all results. I own the 18/2 and love it for casual wide shots. It's way better than some people give it credit for AF is not that fast though. As I own the 23/1.4 I doubt I'll ever own the f2 version. My friend owns the 27mm and loves it for it's small size.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip
Gear & Discounts (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

sponsored links
EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,119 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 06, 2018 11:39 |  #6572

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18557672 (external link)
23/2 is a good lens from all results. I own the 18/2 and love it for casual wide shots. It's way better than some people give it credit for AF is not that fast though. As I own the 23/1.4 I doubt I'll ever own the f2 version. My friend owns the 27mm and loves it for it's small size.

I loved my XF 27mm... I kinda wish I still had it. I traded my X-E2 and 27mm for my X100T... imo, the 27mm is a nicer lens than the 23mm on the X100T, though the extra stop is useful.

X-T1 + XF 35/1.4

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4704/39898250432_e93e065ed9_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/23ME​XPw  (external link) DSCF3364 (external link) by Lucas (external link), on Flickr

7artisans 25mm

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4666/39930752361_c682166805_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/23Qx​xvB  (external link) DSCF3381 (external link) by Lucas (external link), on Flickr

Rokinon 85mm + Lensturbo II

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4711/39930751551_eb9ddaae75_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/23Qx​xgD  (external link) DSCF3412 (external link) by Lucas (external link), on Flickr

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

Owain ­ Shaw
Some of my best friends are people.
2,012 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited 3 months ago by Owain Shaw.

Feb 06, 2018 14:40 |  #6573

F2Bthere wrote in post #18557647 (external link)
My first response is, why not?

Lenses are, ultimately, a personal choice and we have little to go on from your question. The fact that you like the 40 and don't like the equivelent lens on the Fuji makes it more challenging because that implies it isn't about angle of view.

For travel, in my experience, wider is generally more useful. I like the 35/1.4 because I can use it in low light and for headshots and it is surprisingly light and compact but find I get more use from a wider lens. I prefer the 18/2 or the 16/1.4. The 23 is too close to the 35 to be useful for me as a second lens (not an issue for you) and the 23 often seems not quite wide enough.

The 18/2 has the significant advantage that it is quite small (almost as small as the 27), renders beautifully and is still pretty easy to use with people. Any wider and you need to know what you are doing if there are people in the image.

The 16/1.4 is a good bit bigger. It also requires a bit more attention if people are in the image to avoid unflattering perspectives. The 16 is also fast, can do things few other lenses can do and is, arguably, Fuji's best lens so far.

I have been very happy with the 16, but I must admit the 18 gets a lot more use since I got it because it is so handy and compact.

Anything I can do to provide a bit more to go on?

I'll give it a go myself ... when I first got the camera, the 27 was the lens I used most as a natural step from the 40/5D combination. I don't remember having any problem with it initially - probably because I was using it for more intentionally photography minded situations, whereas over time, by virtue of its size, it has come to be my "I'll take a camera and see" lens and often used for snapshots. This is why I suspect it is a victim of my own use more than anything. When I was using it with time to shoot and in good conditions, I was happy with the results.

Here's some stuff I'm happy with from when I used this lens properly ...

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1482/23985188561_a3dcf53ed0_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Cxum​VP  (external link) Bath (external link) by Owain Shaw Photo (external link), en Flickr
IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5747/23248134800_c3295f733b_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/BqmL​wm  (external link) Madrid (external link) by Owain Shaw Photo (external link), en Flickr
IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5672/23543867985_0b6e54e5dd_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/BSut​Gn  (external link) Madrid (external link) by Owain Shaw Photo (external link), en Flickr
IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/639/23435326002_af58787ac3_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/BGUa​WS  (external link) Madrid (external link) by Owain Shaw Photo (external link), en Flickr

A couple of months into my time on Fuji was when I had my "18/2" moment and then I used that camera and lens combination for about the next six months. Then I decided to use my 5D and a manual 50 for a project I wanted that look for and that eventually took me back to the Canon as I convinced myself it was better for serious work even though I'd been really happy with a lot of pictures taken on the X-Pro/18 over the previous months, and it's clearly not an issue but sometimes one's brain just insists on defying all logic. The 5D/40 became my go to again until I decided to give the Fuji stuff some time and attention again because, as stated above, the idea of buying more Canon gear just doesn't appeal to me - I can't see myself replacing my 5D but I'd happily upgrade the X-Pro to a newer version at some point down the line. I think Mirrorless is clearly the future and there's a lot of things I really like about the Fuji cameras.

My conclusion is: this is probably just in my head. However ... the 18 is a bit too wide for me, all things considered, even though I made it work for a good while. Maybe the 23mm could be just right. It's also weather sealed which might be good for Poland, and has an aperture ring which I do like to have as one of the really nice features of the Fuji cameras is the tactile manual control ... or is this the G.A.S.?

| Photographic for the People - New website coming soon. |
| Gear | Flickr (external link) |

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
2,254 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Feb 06, 2018 17:20 |  #6574

Owain Shaw wrote in post #18557900 (external link)
My conclusion is: this is probably just in my head. However ... the 18 is a bit too wide for me, all things considered, even though I made it work for a good while. Maybe the 23mm could be just right. It's also weather sealed which might be good for Poland, and has an aperture ring which I do like to have as one of the really nice features of the Fuji cameras is the tactile manual control ... or is this the G.A.S.?

Did someone say weather sealed... (note the 18/2)

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,312 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 06, 2018 20:28 |  #6575

Owain Shaw wrote in post #18557556 (external link)
Looks like someone is having fun with the wide angle.

(First World) Question for recommendations ... I'm not 100% sure because I feel like I've never given the 27mm a fair chance, but for some reason I don't like this focal length on my X-Pro whereas I really do like 40mm on my Canon 5D. The other week I realised that the idea of buying more kit for my Canon just didn't appeal because it's always bigger and heavier so I'm trying to love my Fuji more. Next month I'll be going to Poland for a few days which I'm really excited about but I'm not sure whether to pick up a 23mm f/2 before I go. I have a Canon 50mm f/1.4 I rarely use and would be plenty willing to let go of to partially fund it.

I'm guessing you do not mind having more dof with fuji's f2 prime vs a Full frame with f/1.4. If your doing landscape photos anyways f/1.4 is too shallow. The 23mm will be used for??????

I think the whole point of your Fuji kit is for smaller form factor. For travel I'm finding the 10-24mm UWA is imperative in a travel kit. Mind your f/4 is kinda slow but for outdoor photography it's great.

If your doing portraits with sunflares the 5d with 50f/1.4 IMO produces gorgeous beams of sunlight vs Fuji's mirrored system.

What will be your subject matter??

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 50-140 | EF-X500 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter

F2Bthere
854 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 06, 2018 23:51 |  #6576

Owain Shaw wrote in post #18557900 (external link)
Anything I can do to provide a bit more to go on?

I'll give it a go myself ... when I first got the camera, the 27 was the lens I used most as a natural step from the 40/5D combination. I don't remember having any problem with it initially - probably because I was using it for more intentionally photography minded situations, whereas over time, by virtue of its size, it has come to be my "I'll take a camera and see" lens and often used for snapshots. This is why I suspect it is a victim of my own use more than anything. When I was using it with time to shoot and in good conditions, I was happy with the results.

Here's some stuff I'm happy with from when I used this lens properly ...
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Cxum​VP  (external link) Bath (external link) by Owain Shaw Photo (external link), en Flickr
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/BqmL​wm  (external link) Madrid (external link) by Owain Shaw Photo (external link), en Flickr
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/BSut​Gn  (external link) Madrid (external link) by Owain Shaw Photo (external link), en Flickr
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/BGUa​WS  (external link) Madrid (external link) by Owain Shaw Photo (external link), en Flickr

A couple of months into my time on Fuji was when I had my "18/2" moment and then I used that camera and lens combination for about the next six months. Then I decided to use my 5D and a manual 50 for a project I wanted that look for and that eventually took me back to the Canon as I convinced myself it was better for serious work even though I'd been really happy with a lot of pictures taken on the X-Pro/18 over the previous months, and it's clearly not an issue but sometimes one's brain just insists on defying all logic. The 5D/40 became my go to again until I decided to give the Fuji stuff some time and attention again because, as stated above, the idea of buying more Canon gear just doesn't appeal to me - I can't see myself replacing my 5D but I'd happily upgrade the X-Pro to a newer version at some point down the line. I think Mirrorless is clearly the future and there's a lot of things I really like about the Fuji cameras.

This is helpful.

The 18 is too wide. This makes it sound like the 23 is the only real candidate, unless the 18-55 would be good. The 18-55 is pretty handy and quite good for what it is. It is a bit slow and it is a zoom, so if you prefer primes.... I prefer primes in the field but use the zoom in the studio :). It sounds like longer is the wrong direction (for which the 35/1.4 is a good option).

If it isn't going to strain the budget, I would try the 23. If it works, you can sell the 18 and/or the 27 if you don't think you would use them. From what you have said, it sounds like a good solution.

GAS is to be considered but I wouldn't worry about it befor you have four lenses ;).

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

Owain ­ Shaw
2,012 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited 3 months ago by Owain Shaw.

Feb 07, 2018 02:57 |  #6577

AlanU wrote in post #18558145 (external link)
I'm guessing you do not mind having more dof with fuji's f2 prime vs a Full frame with f/1.4. If your doing landscape photos anyways f/1.4 is too shallow. The 23mm will be used for??????

I think the whole point of your Fuji kit is for smaller form factor. For travel I'm finding the 10-24mm UWA is imperative in a travel kit. Mind your f/4 is kinda slow but for outdoor photography it's great.

If your doing portraits with sunflares the 5d with 50f/1.4 IMO produces gorgeous beams of sunlight vs Fuji's mirrored system.

What will be your subject matter??

More/less DoF isn't a biggie for me, especially because I don't normally photograph things at distances where bokeh is a consideration. That said, an extra stop from f/2.8 to f/2 is a nice boon for low light but I'm not desperate to get to f/1.4.

I have the 18/2 for wide-angle stuff. It's a really nice lens and I used it a lot for while but I prefer shooting slightly less wide. I've really got on well with the 40mm length on my 5D. For some reason I've convinced myself that the equivalent Fuji lens doesn't work for me.

Just to be clear though: I'm happy selling my Canon 50mm but I'm not looking for a 50mm equivalent for Fuji, more like a 35mm equivalent.

The 23/2 Fuji would be used for my everyday photography which is street-ish, travel-ish, documentary-ish, with the 18/2 there in case I want to go wider.

F2Bthere wrote in post #18558249 (external link)
This is helpful.

The 18 is too wide. This makes it sound like the 23 is the only real candidate, unless the 18-55 would be good. The 18-55 is pretty handy and quite good for what it is. It is a bit slow and it is a zoom, so if you prefer primes.... I prefer primes in the field but use the zoom in the studio :). It sounds like longer is the wrong direction (for which the 35/1.4 is a good option).

If it isn't going to strain the budget, I would try the 23. If it works, you can sell the 18 and/or the 27 if you don't think you would use them. From what you have said, it sounds like a good solution.

GAS is to be considered but I wouldn't worry about it befor you have four lenses ;).

I also prefer primes. I like knowing my field of view and working with it a little if necessary to find the right composition, either moving the camera or moving my body.

You're right. I'm not looking at the Fuji 35s because I have a couple 50s (Canon 1.4 and an adapted manual lens) that I hardly ever use and I would probably sell the Canon 50 if I end up buying the Fuji 23. I'll probably keep the 18 because although it's too wide to be an everyday lens for me, I think it's worth hanging onto as a very nice wide-angle lens. If I do end up becoming a full Fuji convert (and I think over time this will happen) then eventually a Fuji 35 will probably end up in my bag just to cover those occasions where I do use that focal length, but it's not a priority because those occasions are rare. Ideal kit is probably 18/23/35 - I could even have them all at f/2 or just the 35 as f/1.4 perhaps.

I have about a month to think about it, and I have enough to buy the lens shortly before I go should I decide to.

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
2,254 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Feb 07, 2018 05:13 |  #6578

I really think the 18/2 and 35/1.4 are good lenses for every day work. Some more thoughts and images here (external link)

F2Bthere
854 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 07, 2018 10:56 |  #6579

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18558359 (external link)
I really think the 18/2 and 35/1.4 are good lenses for every day work. Some more thoughts and images here (external link)

I agree. In fact, 16 and 35 if I don't mind the bulk, 18 and 35 for compact. I rarely want longer than I have but often enough wider :).

Owain clearly prefers a focal length between the 18 and 27, so the 23 sounds like the right fit. For a given prime photographer at a given time, certain focal lengths just fit better than others.

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,119 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 07, 2018 11:06 |  #6580

F2Bthere wrote in post #18558525 (external link)
I agree. In fact, 16 and 35 if I don't mind the bulk, 18 and 35 for compact. I rarely want longer than I have but often enough wider :).

Owain clearly prefers a focal length between the 18 and 27, so the 23 sounds like the right fit. For a given prime photographer at a given time, certain focal lengths just fit better than others.

I think for someone with an eye for 35mm equivalent FOV, the 23/2 and 50/2 would be as awesome a combo as the 18/35 combo is for others.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses

Owain ­ Shaw
2,012 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 08, 2018 03:53 |  #6581

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm still flitting between the prudent, austere option of saving the money and using the kit I have; and the indulgent option of spending the money and getting the lens. I do think a 23mm would be good for me. I don't know if I truly need one when I already have the 27mm. I'm highly unlikely to be missing pictures between the two lenses, but would I be more comfortable with the 23? Is it the right tool?

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,312 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 08, 2018 16:33 |  #6582

Owain Shaw wrote in post #18559136 (external link)
Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm still flitting between the prudent, austere option of saving the money and using the kit I have; and the indulgent option of spending the money and getting the lens. I do think a 23mm would be good for me. I don't know if I truly need one when I already have the 27mm. I'm highly unlikely to be missing pictures between the two lenses, but would I be more comfortable with the 23? Is it the right tool?

Focal lengths is all about personal comfort zones and preference.

IMO most Fuji glass is small..... I have no interest in the 18mm or 27mm pancake. For the flexibility I'd definitely appreciate faster glass in the f/1.4 realm.

Choose your lenses that suites your style of photography.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 50-140 | EF-X500 | TT685

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,119 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 08, 2018 17:05 |  #6583

AlanU wrote in post #18559542 (external link)
Focal lengths is all about personal comfort zones and preference.

IMO most Fuji glass is small..... I have no interest in the 18mm or 27mm pancake. For the flexibility I'd definitely appreciate faster glass in the f/1.4 realm.

Choose your lenses that suites your style of photography.

The size difference for 1 stop of light can be quite drastic though (as has been stated by numerous members on this topic)

http://1.bp.blogspot.c​om …18mmTest-0186_1200_MP.jpg (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,312 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 08, 2018 17:59 |  #6584

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #18559562 (external link)
The size difference for 1 stop of light can be quite drastic though (as has been stated by numerous members on this topic)

http://1.bp.blogspot.c​om …18mmTest-0186_1200_MP.jpg (external link)

Yes that's true. I couldn't adapt to the 27mm or 40mm equivalent focal lengths for the fuji pancake lens. Using a FF with 24mm or Fuji with 16mm is seamless for me. My preference is my reasons. 16mm size is still nothing compared to my Canon 24Lmk2 on FF so Fuji just is a killer package!

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,119 posts
Joined Oct 2012
Post edited 3 months ago by EverydayGetaway.

Feb 08, 2018 21:46 |  #6585

X-Pro2 + XF 35/1.4

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4760/28171993479_4002915cf9_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/JVsQ​av  (external link) DSCF3753 (external link) by Lucas (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4624/39951648331_3c98838bee_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/23So​D9X  (external link) DSCF3761 (external link) by Lucas (external link), on Flickr

Looking at that second shot now on another screen I'm realizing I should probably straighten it out... alas, the file is on my other computer :lol:

sponsored links

835,115 views & 4,423 likes for this thread
Fuji Users Unite - Post your comments, questions and images here
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.