Lens help for HK Disneyland

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 09 Jan 2013 (Wednesday) 07:14   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

raptor117
Joined May 2010
358 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Going to HK in a couple of weeks with my wife and my 3 yr. old kid.. I plan on bringing just my 7D w/o grip, Samyang 8mm Fisheye, Sigma 17-50, travel tripod, accessories. Since it's my first time going there and I want minimalist gears/less weight for travel. Plan on shooting fireworks with my Fisheye (Is this doable? not too close to the castle for less distorted images) as I want to cover most areas of the fireworks. Do I need to bring flash or my Sigma 30 1.4 instead? Which lenses are great for fireworks(still or video)? Thanks for the help

Post #1, Jan 09, 2013 07:14:51

Canon 6D | Canon 17-40L | Sigma 12-24ii | Canon 24-70 f/4L IS | Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 VC | Canon 70-300L | Sigma 35 1.4 Art | Canon 85 1.8 | Canon 85 1.2Lii | Canon 135L
Canon 7D | Sigma 50-150 OS

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2010
10,448 posts
Hong Kong
[MORE/SHARE]

Fireworks with fisheye should definitely be doable. However, it depends on how tall your tripod is. There are going to be pretty huge crowds there for the fireworks, and the HK disneyland is tiny. This means you have to either back up to get away from the main body of the crowd which may mean you have to use a longer lens, or you have to get your camera above the heads of the people in front of you.

Any lens can be good for fireworks, but I'm assuming you want to include the castle in the shots, so you'll need wide.

I wouldn't try shooting fireworks by handholding the camera. You can get good results for handheld, but compared to tripod shots, they will likely not be very nice.

If you haven't shot fireworks before, definitely do some reading beforehand, it'll save you a lot of fiddling around in the field and you can actually just concentrate on watching the fireworks while just pressing the shutter release on and off on your camera (get your framing right in the first couple of bursts so you don't have to fiddle with the camera at all afterwards, then just vary your exposure times from ~2-6 seconds by using bulb mode on the shutter release).

Post #2, Jan 09, 2013 07:26:03

-Tom
Flickr
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

LIST NEARBY THREADS
235 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens help for HK Disneyland
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES