Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th of January 2013 (Wed)   #1
raptor117

Default Lens help for HK Disneyland

Going to HK in a couple of weeks with my wife and my 3 yr. old kid.. I plan on bringing just my 7D w/o grip, Samyang 8mm Fisheye, Sigma 17-50, travel tripod, accessories. Since it's my first time going there and I want minimalist gears/less weight for travel. Plan on shooting fireworks with my Fisheye (Is this doable? not too close to the castle for less distorted images) as I want to cover most areas of the fireworks. Do I need to bring flash or my Sigma 30 1.4 instead? Which lenses are great for fireworks(still or video)? Thanks for the help
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 9th of January 2013 (Wed)   #2
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Lens help for HK Disneyland

Fireworks with fisheye should definitely be doable. However, it depends on how tall your tripod is. There are going to be pretty huge crowds there for the fireworks, and the HK disneyland is tiny. This means you have to either back up to get away from the main body of the crowd which may mean you have to use a longer lens, or you have to get your camera above the heads of the people in front of you.

Any lens can be good for fireworks, but I'm assuming you want to include the castle in the shots, so you'll need wide.

I wouldn't try shooting fireworks by handholding the camera. You can get good results for handheld, but compared to tripod shots, they will likely not be very nice.

If you haven't shot fireworks before, definitely do some reading beforehand, it'll save you a lot of fiddling around in the field and you can actually just concentrate on watching the fireworks while just pressing the shutter release on and off on your camera (get your framing right in the first couple of bursts so you don't have to fiddle with the camera at all afterwards, then just vary your exposure times from ~2-6 seconds by using bulb mode on the shutter release).
Sirrith is offline   Reply With Quote