Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th of August 2013 (Wed)   #2206
Robsphoto

Default Re: 33" QWBD White Beauty Dish/OCTA

That photo of the loose thread irritates me! I have the 19"version and loving it....
Old 7th of August 2013 (Wed)   #2207
Chad D

Default Re: A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives

ordered a couple extra parts dual cord and bulb protector before dinner so had my after dinner espresso checked my email and already got my shipping notice !!!
that is service like I give to my clients !!!! got to say two thumbs up again
Chad D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of August 2013 (Wed)   #2208
BigIronCruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsphoto View Post
That photo of the loose thread irritates me! I have the 19"version and loving it....
Yes, it is definitely irritating. It's a quality control issue rather than a design issue, and I'm nearly certain that Edward will replace it when I call. I have a 22" aluminum BD that I've used extensively with PCB lights, but it's not the easiest thing in the world to transport. I may end up getting one of the 19" collapsible versions to use with the Cheetah's. Do you use yours for location work?

Last edited by BigIronCruiser : 7th of August 2013 (Wed) at 02:02.
BigIronCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 7th of August 2013 (Wed)   #2209
Nikkor316

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoranC View Post
This worked for me, yay! _However_, I too noticed "interference bars" on one occasion when flash was used in H mode. I am guessing that underexposure makes them more visible.
Great, I'm glad the settings worked for you!
Old 7th of August 2013 (Wed)   #2210
Nikkor316

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIronCruiser View Post
Yes, it is definitely irritating. It's a quality control issue rather than a design issue, and I'm nearly certain that Edward will replace it when I call. I have a 22" aluminum BD that I've used extensively with PCB lights, but it's not the easiest thing in the world to transport. I may end up getting one of the 19" collapsible versions to use with the Cheetah's. Do you use yours for location work?
Yes, I have 19" collapsible version that I use on location with CL-180/CL-360 all the time. This has replaced using PCB mono lights with VML + 22" metal BD. I typically use my 19" without the front diffuser when shooting on location. I want all the light I can get so I just use the reflector plate and get great results.
Old 7th of August 2013 (Wed)   #2211
dmward
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkor316 View Post
Yes, I have 19" collapsible version that I use on location with CL-180/CL-360 all the time. This has replaced using PCB mono lights with VML + 22" metal BD. I typically use my 19" without the front diffuser when shooting on location. I want all the light I can get so I just use the reflector plate and get great results.
I really like my 19" collapsible as well. I played around with different sized disks and found I like it best with a 3 inch disk. Its the sealing cover for a Ball Mason jar. Got a box of them at the hardware store for a couple of bucks.
Old 7th of August 2013 (Wed)   #2212
scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmward View Post
I really like my 19" collapsible as well. I played around with different sized disks and found I like it best with a 3 inch disk. Its the sealing cover for a Ball Mason jar. Got a box of them at the hardware store for a couple of bucks.
How do you mount the 3 " disk ? Any picts of it?
scorpio_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of August 2013 (Wed)   #2213
mmmfotografie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoranC View Post
This worked for me, yay! _However_, I too noticed "interference bars" on one occasion when flash was used in H mode. I am guessing that underexposure makes them more visible.
Tested some more and this time with a Speedlite on top (set 1/128th power) of the FlexTT5 so I can use the PocketWizards in normal settings to trigger the AD360 (CL360) through P2. Thank for the tip Chris.

Suspecting that the flash does not strobe at a very high frequency but maybe at 10KHz or even lower. It makes a big difference if I use 1/8000s or 1/800s and on the latter one I have no pattern because the slit in the curtains is wider and more pulses will hit the sensor area.

I don't miss HSS very much. I use a CPL filter when being outside (bright sun) and that takes almost 2 stops so I am below 1/250s shutter time. When the light gets lower I take off the CPL filter or just crank up the ISO.

The AD360 is now my favourite flash next to my Bowens Gemini 500. It is so portable, versatile and I love my 19" octa softbox without the disc. I will have al look at a smaller disk from a jar to see if the blackout in the middle is less.
mmmfotografie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of August 2013 (Wed)   #2214
dmward
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_e View Post
How do you mount the 3 " disk ? Any picts of it?
I drilled a hole in it and mount it the same way the larger disk that comes with the box mounts. I also experimented using a long bolt and nut to see if farther away was better. No real difference. What I noticed with the smaller disk was a bit less light loss, maybe half 2/3 stop.
Old 7th of August 2013 (Wed)   #2215
scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmward View Post
I drilled a hole in it and mount it the same way the larger disk that comes with the box mounts. I also experimented using a long bolt and nut to see if farther away was better. No real difference. What I noticed with the smaller disk was a bit less light loss, maybe half 2/3 stop.
Make sense and thanks !!!!
scorpio_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of August 2013 (Wed)   #2216
Robsphoto

Quote:
Yes, Very sturdy and the quality is excellent! Thinking about grabbing that 33" Octa!!
Here is a couple from the weekend wedding.

Old 8th of August 2013 (Thu)   #2217
BigIronCruiser

Quote:
Yes, Very sturdy and the quality is excellent! Thinking about grabbing that 33" Octa!!
Using a CL-360, the 33" BD/Octa at full power without the diffuser yields roughly f/8 at 8', ISO 100. I've been using a Buff BD as my go-to modifier for location work, but the weight and space savings/portability (when collapsed) of this 33" Octa will most likely mothball the Buff BD unless a grid is needed. As a matter of interest, the small hole that was reported in an earlier post is a one-off issue, so it's no surprise that a replacement is on the way
Old 8th of August 2013 (Thu)   #2218
Robsphoto

Quote:
Using a CL-360, the 33" BD/Octa at full power without the diffuser yields roughly f/8 at 8', ISO 100. I've been using a Buff BD as my go-to modifier for location work, but the weight and space savings/portability (when collapsed) of this 33" Octa will most likely mothball the Buff BD unless a grid is needed. As a matter of interest, the small hole that was reported in an earlier post is a one-off issue, so it's no surprise that a replacement is on the way

Did you purchase the 33"? Th only thing I dislike is that you have to purchase a special bracket for the 33".
Old 8th of August 2013 (Thu)   #2219
Nikkor316

I was looking at the 33" BD but it was more expensive than I was expecting compared to the regular Phottix luna folding beauty dish that includes the adapter ring. They look like the same product, simply re-branded. I don't mind paying more if the quality is there, but at that price point, I have to also start to consider other brands. Does anyone have a Wescott 26" or 36" Rapid box octa for comparison? I would love to see how these two stack up against each other. Obviously Wescott is the higher price option but doesn't mean they always have the better quality. I want quality and durability for my location work.
Old 9th of August 2013 (Fri)   #2220
BigIronCruiser

Quote:
Did you purchase the 33"? Th only thing I dislike is that you have to purchase a special bracket for the 33".
There are so many options for this style of modifier that it makes my head spin. Nikkor316 mentioned the Phottix Luna, and after seeing the picture, it appears that the logo's and price are the only thing separating it from the Cheetah 33".

Robsphoto: Yes, I purchased the 33" BD/Octa. I already had the bracket, so it wasn't an extra expense for me.