Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th of February 2013 (Mon)   #286
dmward
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetrode View Post
I don't have a CL-360 yet so I'm not able to post any images showing comparative size between it and the CL-180. However, Edward did send me a short (25 second) video that has both CL models in it. The purpose of the video was to demonstrate how a single Lithium 4500 battery pack could power four flash units simultaneously and provide very good recycling time while doing it. The four flashes were all set to full power.

To connect four units to a battery that has only two ports, Edward used two "one-to-two" cables. The flash units from left to right are a Canon 580EX II, CL-180, CL-180, and CL-360. Since questions have come up regarding the size of the 360, I asked ET if it would be alright to share the video here on POTN. He said that would be fine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glld-y2YZms

Of course, better images of the CL-360 will be forthcoming shortly.
Its bigger but not that much bigger. Especially considering the power.

Main thing for me is will it use the same diameter flash tube so the modifiers can be used on either unit.
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 12th of February 2013 (Tue)   #287
silvrbullet

So... is it safe to assume we will be able to purchase extra Cl-Rx receivers to trigger other equipment, like hot shoe flashes and studio strobes? I really don't want to have two sets of triggers, and I'm at the point now where I could jump to cheetah if this would be possible.

For Sale -- RRS 5DII BGE6-L L-Plate

For Sale -- Fuji XF 56 F/1.2
silvrbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of February 2013 (Tue)   #288
elv

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrbullet View Post
So... is it safe to assume we will be able to purchase extra Cl-Rx receivers to trigger other equipment, like hot shoe flashes and studio strobes? I really don't want to have two sets of triggers, and I'm at the point now where I could jump to cheetah if this would be possible.
I don't know if Cheetah will sell these, but asking Godox the same question they said the Godox Cells II transceivers are compatible, so you can use those as extra receivers to trigger other lights from the Cl-Tx -

http://www.godox.com/CN/Products_Rem...ansceiver.html
Old 12th of February 2013 (Tue)   #289
dmward
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrbullet View Post
If you look at the pictures Dave has shared you'll notice that the receiver is a small unit that plugs into the side of the CL-180 via a USB connection according to Dave. That would make it unusable with other equipment. If the Cells-II is compatible then it can be used for other devices. The one downside, based solely on the pictures, is that the Cells-II only has the dip switches not the rotary dial, which implies that it can only support a single group.
Since the Cells-II will be a fire only device that shouldn't be a problem. The groups supported by the rotary dial are more useful for segregating the CL-180s for power control.

Here is what is on the dZone2 eBay page for the Cells-II

The Godox Cells II Transceiver is a brand new high-speed flash & camera trigger system designed with multi-functionality. The Cells II can be used to trigger studio flash, speedlites & flashguns and also as a remote trigger for your camera.
The Cells II Radio Transceiver is the latest High-Speed Radio Trigger kit from Godox. It features:
• Maximum sync speed of 1/8000s (Canon HSS supported)
• Auto-sensing Technology - send/receive signals automatically
• Multi Function - trigger cameras, studio strobes and speedlites with a single remote
• Multi Channel - 16 channels to have multiple flashes under control at the same time

Last edited by dmward : 12th of February 2013 (Tue) at 08:44.
Old 12th of February 2013 (Tue)   #290
CheetahStand

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmward View Post
If you look at the pictures Dave has shared you'll notice that the receiver is a small unit that plugs into the side of the CL-180 via a USB connection according to Dave. That would make it unusable with other equipment. If the Cells-II is compatible then it can be used for other devices. The one downside, based solely on the pictures, is that the Cells-II only has the dip switches not the rotary dial, which implies that it can only support a single group.
Since the Cells-II will be a fire only device that shouldn't be a problem. The groups supported by the rotary dial are more useful for segregating the CL-180s for power control.

The Godox Cells II Transceiver is a brand new high-speed flash & camera trigger system designed with multi-functionality. The Cells II can be used to trigger studio flash, speedlites & flashguns and also as a remote trigger for your camera.
The Cells II Radio Transceiver is the latest High-Speed Radio Trigger kit from Godox. It features:
Maximum sync speed of 1/8000s (Canon HSS supported)
Auto-sensing Technology - send/receive signals automatically
Multi Function - trigger cameras, studio strobes and speedlites with a single remote
Multi Channel - 16 channels to have multiple flashes under control at the same time

Cells-II current model only support 1/8000 sync speed. 5D,5DII and 7D.and Canon camera before 5DII and 7D.
dZone2 eBay page for the Cells-II should let people know about this...
Cheetah is currently working with Godox on Canon 5DIII.6D and 1DX to support 1/8000 sync speed.
Nikon camera 1/8000 sync support will be our next step....
CheetahStand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of February 2013 (Tue)   #291
tongki

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheetahStand View Post
Cells-II current model only support 1/8000 sync speed. 5D,5DII and 7D.and Canon camera before 5DII and 7D.
dZone2 eBay page for the Cells-II should let people know about this...
Cheetah is currently working with Godox on Canon 5DIII.6D and 1DX to support 1/8000 sync speed.
Nikon camera 1/8000 sync support will be our next step....
I am sorry,
6D can go 1/8000 also ? is it possible ? How ?
sorry, no stupid speedlite from Canon !
tongki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of February 2013 (Tue)   #292
CheetahStand

Quote:
Originally Posted by tongki View Post
I am sorry,
6D can go 1/8000 also ? is it possible ? How ?
Sorry,on Canon 6D,to max speed 1/4000.
We still work on this.Before release,we'll have more info.
CheetahStand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of February 2013 (Tue)   #293
windpig
Cream of the Crop

Hypersync would be way cool
windpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of February 2013 (Tue)   #294
silvrbullet

A lot of people seem to be worried about the foot breaking off in a fall. I've luckily never had an issue with that, but what I'm concerned about is how sturdy the bulb is in the event the the flash hits the ground? I imagine if it's in an Apollo like softbox, it will be pretty well protected, but what if you are using it with the Kacey bracket, or something similar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmward View Post

Maximum sync speed of 1/8000s (Canon HSS supported)
Auto-sensing Technology - send/receive signals automatically
Multi Function - trigger cameras, studio strobes and speedlites with a single remote
Multi Channel - 16 channels to have multiple flashes under control at the same time
Thanks for the information!

I completely forgot the receiver connected via USB.

For Sale -- RRS 5DII BGE6-L L-Plate

For Sale -- Fuji XF 56 F/1.2
silvrbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of February 2013 (Tue)   #295
scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop

I am anxious to get one of these on pre order. Looks like this will fit nicely into my workflow
scorpio_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of February 2013 (Tue)   #296
turcoyan

Somebody knows what will be the fastest sync speed on a Olympus Em-5 or Panasonic GH3 ?

Will the receiver trigger a Metz 58 AF-2 ( yes , It does have a USB plug ) ?

Thank you for the Info .
turcoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of February 2013 (Tue)   #297
dmward
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheetahStand View Post
Sorry,on Canon 6D,to max speed 1/4000.
We still work on this.Before release,we'll have more info.
Edward,
Thanks for the update.
Getting this to work with all currently available Canon DSLRs at their maximum shutter speed will be very useful.
Old 12th of February 2013 (Tue)   #298
dmward
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by windpig View Post
Hypersync would be way cool
It apparently works on Canon cameras prior to the 2012 models.
Probably Canon did something in its firmware to enable 600EX-RT capabilities that will have to be addressed.

Even though the dZone2 info says High Speed Sync, I expect that this is really hyper sync since HSS requires multiflashing which probably requires some capabilities that are more difficult.

I exchanged several emails with Paul Buff and Pocket Wizard regarding HSS on the Einsteins while I was beta testing the MC2. Buff and PW both declared that the control circuitry for true HSS was quite complicated and that they didn't want to invest the resources required to reverse engineer.

If Godox has already done the reverse engineering for ETTL capabilities on speedlites that naturally changes the equation and makes real HSS much more likely.
Old 12th of February 2013 (Tue)   #299
dmward
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcoyan View Post
Somebody knows what will be the fastest sync speed on a Olympus Em-5 or Panasonic GH3 ?

Will the receiver trigger a Metz 58 AF-2 ( yes , It does have a USB plug ) ?

Thank you for the Info .
Based on the picture in the dZone2 ads the Cells-II has a Canon hot shoe. That may or may not work on an Olympus or Panasonic camera. And then it would rely on those manufacturers sending the same pre-fire sync signal on the same pin as Canon. That all seems unlikely.

Similarly, the USB connection is a physical layer connection, but its unlikely that Metz and Godox have collaborated to make sure the higher layer communications required for triggering are compatible.
Old 12th of February 2013 (Tue)   #300
symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop

Can anyone speak to the IR beams? Do they both fire? Or do they do separate things?