Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 19 Feb 2013 (Tuesday) 00:07
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Do you think there would be a market for an accountant here?

benji25
Joined Jan 2010
Twin Cities
Feb 19, 2013 00:07 |  #1

What I am thinking is that a lot of photographers he don't know much about accounting. I am not talking doing people's taxes or anything like that. I am talking about trying to help people account for their daily expenses, revenue, billings etc.

I majored in accounting and currently am partway done with the CPA exam. I have worked at a big 4 accounting firm (public accounting) for going on 2 years.

I have not really planned anything out yet but I just wanted to get ideas on if you think there would be a market for it. What I imagine is people sending me their receipts and or telling be what they did and I help account for it and maybe produce invoices and such.

I would either charge a flat monthly or hourly fee. Not sure yet.

Thoughts?

Also this was sent from an iPad so I apologize for errors

Websiteexternal link
flickrexternal link

sponsored links
banquetbear
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
Wellington, New Zealand
Feb 19, 2013 00:53 |  #2

benji25 wrote in post #15626226external link
What I am thinking is that a lot of photographers he don't know much about accounting. I am not talking doing people's taxes or anything like that. I am talking about trying to help people account for their daily expenses, revenue, billings etc.

I majored in accounting and currently am partway done with the CPA exam. I have worked at a big 4 accounting firm (public accounting) for going on 2 years.

I have not really planned anything out yet but I just wanted to get ideas on if you think there would be a market for it. What I imagine is people sending me their receipts and or telling be what they did and I help account for it and maybe produce invoices and such.

I would either charge a flat monthly or hourly fee. Not sure yet.

Thoughts?

Also this was sent from an iPad so I apologize for errors

...there are excellent software applications out there for tracking my expenses, revenue and billings. What would you offer that I couldn't get out of a software package like Xero?

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007
Probably Chasing Aircraft
Feb 19, 2013 00:59 |  #3

99% of sole-proprietorship photography operations aren't going to spring for on-going business management beyond Quickbooks and a yearly trip to their CPA (if not H&R Block)

Good idea, but only the very best make enough coin to need or even want agents, reps and a business manager.

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,843 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Feb 19, 2013 04:32 |  #4

A standard accounting package is easy enough for most to use and then just a quick annual visit to an accountant at year end suffices. As far as running the business goes opting for a service like that is increasing your overheads for no real return. Yes maybe it would save a little time but a cost benefit analysis would soon show it would be an drain on financial resources.

In my view a small business is much better off spending on good marketing advice/help as that will help increase income as opposed to reducing it.

Peter

Acetoolguy
384 posts
Joined Dec 2009
East Coast, USA
Feb 19, 2013 05:56 |  #5

Most accounting services I have ever used included tax filing, I'm not having one do my day to day and another file file my taxes. The people doing my day to day know they are going to file, so keep ongoing records of tax data.

Never use a paragraph when a sentence will do.

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Northern Illinois, US
Feb 19, 2013 06:51 |  #6

I have always encouraged photographers who are doing paid work, even part-time, to establish a relationship with an accountant. They save more money than they cost.

But while the legal issues in the photographic profession may be specialized, the accounting issues aren't. Photography is just like most other service businesses. Most of us should have little trouble finding a qualified accountant near us, with whom we can build a relationship.

Also, I would prefer a local accountant who is also familiar with state and local laws/taxes.

I personally don't see a great need for an accountant who specializes in the photography business.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN eventsexternal link
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible external link| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flashexternal link | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculatorexternal link

omnom
364 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Feb 19, 2013 10:44 |  #7

tomj
594 posts
Joined May 2010
Feb 19, 2013 13:24 |  #8

Judging from what I've seen on this forum, where a lot of people could use professional accounting help is in the start-up phase. Questions seem to come up from time to time regarding handling taxes, business deductions, the form of the business (LLC, etc.), how to deal with deposits and billing, etc. Beyond that, though, as some of the other replies have said, the need for an accountant on a regular ongoing basis is probably limited.

Flickrexternal link

Andrushka
"all warm and fuzzy"
3,735 posts
Joined Oct 2007
OC, CA
Feb 19, 2013 13:36 |  #9

tomj wrote in post #15628220external link
Judging from what I've seen on this forum, where a lot of people could use professional accounting help is in the start-up phase. Questions seem to come up from time to time regarding handling taxes, business deductions, the form of the business (LLC, etc.), how to deal with deposits and billing, etc. Beyond that, though, as some of the other replies have said, the need for an accountant on a regular ongoing basis is probably limited.

So maybe the OP might look at doing consulting for photogs who are switching from hobby or under the table side biz to professional status?

http://www.paradigmpho​tographyoc.comexternal link

J ­ Michael
Joined Feb 2010
Atlanta
Feb 19, 2013 17:58 |  #10

If you're looking for a specialty check out aviation, e.g. tax strategies and support for owners of business aircraft. And focus on something substantial like turbine aircraft. Go where the money is.

sponsored links

1,178 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you think there would be a market for an accountant here?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.