Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Feb 2013 (Friday) 12:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best Price on a Canon 1DX

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 24, 2013 10:06 |  #16

N2bnfunn wrote in post #15645736 (external link)
Selling old stock of a 1dx it just came out kindof hard to find old stock of them.

The old stock sold as new issue was actually 5Dmk III's.
That's not so serious as at least you can sell the camera and get it fixed. It's the falsified serial numbers that are the real problem.

Guess it means your actual original invoice from a genuine approved dealer is going to become gold dust. A bit like the Rolex G'tee Card.

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

sponsored links
nbrooks503
23 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 24, 2013 10:51 |  #17

Submariner wrote in post #15643802 (external link)
Suggest you look at there rep.
Selling old stock used in demo videos as new; but most seriously there are numerous cases of defaced serial numbers effectively making the cameras Non Repairable by any Canon Service Agents = also legally unsellable second hand !
Yep the second owner could come back to you, any time in the future and ask for a complete refund! As you effectively sold him a "counterfiet" product you couldn't under UK law even ask for some kind of amortisation for the fact that he may have had a number of years good service out of it.
They have effectively (along with a number of Other unscrupulous dealers ) killed the grey import market.

Unless of course you are
A) planning to keep it for ever and would definitely never want to sell it.
B) You are absolutely sure it will never break or need service, neither will any lenses you buy to go with it. ( re canon asking you to send both in!)
C) or when this blows up in your face and you send it back to DR your happy to pay $160 for postage and then get a new phoney serial number carved into it!

I wouldn't buy a tray of used cat litter from those guys let alone a 1Dx.
Do your research if you don't believe me - they treat their customers like they treat demo kit.

I've made two purchases from DigitalRev and never had a problem.

1. A MarkIV a couple of years ago.
2. A Sigma 12-24 last year.

On both occasions I received brand new merchandise, delivery was via FEDEX a couple of days after ordering.

Although the MarkIV did not have the USA warranty, it was warranted by DigitalRev. Additionally, I have had it serviced under the CPS clean and check by CanonUSA with no problems.

The advantage of purchasing were a good price at the time for the camera of about $900 less than USA retail, no import duty due to the fact the camera is classified as a video camera for Customs purposes and is free of duty. The duty on the lens was about 3% as I recall still a significant saving over the USA price for the lens.

I would purchase from them again without any hesitation if the price was right.

Canon 1D MkIV, 24-70L 2.8, 70-200L 2.8

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 25, 2013 05:53 |  #18

nbrooks503 wrote in post #15646678 (external link)
I've made two purchases from DigitalRev and never had a problem.

1. A MarkIV a couple of years ago.
2. A Sigma 12-24 last year.

On both occasions I received brand new merchandise, delivery was via FEDEX a couple of days after ordering.

Although the MarkIV did not have the USA warranty, it was warranted by DigitalRev. Additionally, I have had it serviced under the CPS clean and check by CanonUSA with no problems.

The advantage of purchasing were a good price at the time for the camera of about $900 less than USA retail, no import duty due to the fact the camera is classified as a video camera for Customs purposes and is free of duty. The duty on the lens was about 3% as I recall still a significant saving over the USA price for the lens.

I would purchase from them again without any hesitation if the price was right.

Very pleased it worked out for you.
But it appears that recently they have joined the other low life profiteers who adulterate the serial no's . These units then can no longer be serviced by Canon. So by conjecture they can also no longer be ethically sold on secondhand!

I am sure if you take this new situation into consideration, surely you wouldn't do business with them again in the future, or would you?

My point is graphically demonstrated in the medical world.
" a guy slept with a girl and got Aids , she was then tested and the result came back as HIV positive, she was then tested four more times and each time came back tested as HIV positive.
" Another guy said - hell I slept with her last year, and I'm OK and I had a really good time, sure I would sleep with her again!
Hmmm I think most rational people would be worried about his little grey cells. Unless of course she was his sister and then hell, that would be OK, cos she's family! :rolleyes:

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

londonbairn
179 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 25, 2013 06:13 |  #19

I personally would not buy a 1Dx unless I was 100% it was never touched. Same also with the 400mm. I deliberately refused to buy from anywhere who had stock of them, as I am sure curious workers would play with them. Cool thing was my 400 was sent directly from Canon NV.

There is absolutely no way as well I would grey import one to be honest...if I ever was in a position to get another I would go straight to an official UK supplier, like I did my first.

1Dx, 5dMkIII, 7d | 16-35mm II | 24-105mm f4L | 85mm f1.2L | 100mm F2.8L
70-200mm f2.8 IS II | 400mm f2.8 IS II
2013 Dilemmas: 50 1.2L, swap 7d for 5dMkIII....

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 25, 2013 06:14 as a reply to  @ nbrooks503's post |  #20

"The advantage of purchasing were a good price at the time for the camera of about $900 less than USA retail, no import duty due to the fact the camera is classified as a video camera for Customs purposes and is free of duty. The duty on the lens was about 3% as I recall still a significant saving over the USA price for the lens."

I have nothing against grey imports - good for anyone who can push down the over inflated prices charged by global companies, as long as its done intelligently.
I did it on a Mercedes S Class and saved £15,000 But I got a letter from Mercedes in Germany clarifying, that if I ordered code 345, that would ensure The car would have all the extras and features that a UK retailed car would have. Actually the alarm components were very important. So no risk.

Sorry but some piss pot outfit like DR "incorrectly reclassifying a camera" to defraud the customs and excise of duty due is not smart.
Proof I bet you'd never dare write to customs and excise, and quote your serial number and ask is this Ok? Hell they would send you a bill by return plus interest due on it.
Look if it could legally be reclassified and legitimately remove duty due, do you not think Canon would have done that to sell more units?

Buylongterm
Goldmember
2,080 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 25, 2013 07:16 |  #21

Submariner wrote in post #15649329 (external link)
"The advantage of purchasing were a good price at the time for the camera of about $900 less than USA retail, no import duty due to the fact the camera is classified as a video camera for Customs purposes and is free of duty. The duty on the lens was about 3% as I recall still a significant saving over the USA price for the lens."

I have nothing against grey imports - good for anyone who can push down the over inflated prices charged by global companies, as long as its done intelligently.
I did it on a Mercedes S Class and saved £15,000 But I got a letter from Mercedes in Germany clarifying, that if I ordered code 345, that would ensure The car would have all the extras and features that a UK retailed car would have. Actually the alarm components were very important. So no risk.

Sorry but some piss pot outfit like DR "incorrectly reclassifying a camera" to defraud the customs and excise of duty due is not smart.
Proof I bet you'd never dare write to customs and excise, and quote your serial number and ask is this Ok? Hell they would send you a bill by return plus interest due on it.
Look if it could legally be reclassified and legitimately remove duty due, do you not think Canon would have done that to sell more units?

Exactly. For peace of mind, I'd rather pay a bit more and buy from a reputable dealer.

Christian
flickr (external link)
@WerthLiving (Follow me on Instagram)
Canon EOS 5D MK III Gripped | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MK II |100mm f/2.8L Macro | 24mm-105mm f/4.0L |

NASS ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,620 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 25, 2013 10:08 |  #22

TSchrief wrote in post #15640771 (external link)
For something that cost more $6700, I would stay away from all but the most reputable retailers.

+1.

NickS

Canon 5DMIII; Canon EF35mm, f/1.4L; EF85mm, f/1.8; EF135mm, f/2.0L; EF200mm, f/2.8L.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,584 posts
Gallery: 1620 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Feb 25, 2013 10:47 |  #23

I got mine from profeel.com. Give them a call and see what price they'll give you.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

rang
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 26, 2013 18:53 |  #24

Back in Nov, '12 I had a big order with Amazon. Picked up a couple of 1DX's and a Sigma 300-800 f/5.6 a bunch of cards, accessories for the bodies, lot's of batteries and a LowePro 600 Trekker II bag plus more stuff.
Had them over nighted for a fast approaching shoot and needed a couple days for testing and overnight replacement if necessary.
Since then have shot the rigs in full on downpour for hours with no issues.
Back then at the time there was no real prices differences between vendors but it was more a matter of who had what I needed in stock and could ship ASAP with replacement at the ready in case of DOA failure.
The cool thing was I was assigned an "Amazon Camera Concierge" who kept track of all the parts and pieces during the ordering and delivery. In cases where some of the orders were split up ...that person kept all the vendors and shippers in sync to meet my delivery dates. In the case where they were not able to ship in time...that person made arrangements with another vendor to cancel an existing order and re-order with a replacement vendor. I would have to say it was a very good experience. However altogether I dropped a huge chunk of change for this shoot with Amazon ($31K USD)

Lotsa stuff, running outta room and a wife...I keep looking at her and wondering??? :lol:

ohammond
46 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 27, 2013 21:20 |  #25

Just paid AU$6900 here in Sydney from a Canon CPS Pro dealer.
I believe dealer cost is $6980

Available grey market import for ~AU$5400 + shipping

1Dx, 1Ds3, 24L II, 35L, 50L, 85L II, 300 2.8L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, Fujifilm XPro1/35 1.4, Hasselblad Xpan/40 4.0

aliengin
Goldmember
1,150 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 28, 2013 09:28 |  #26

I just got one from BH. Not the lowest on the market I think there is an Ebay seller $500 cheaper but when paying $6700 I prefer to buy it from a place where I can return/exchange without problems. As for the pricing, BH gives a free bundle. To be honest most of it is POS but the 32GB Memory card, extra original Canon battery and a remote shutter are really useful.

Ali Engin Photography (external link)

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 28, 2013 09:40 |  #27

I'll just mirror what everyone else has been saying, the 1DX is too big of a purchase to think about saving a few hundred on, although in some cases it can be nearly a grand. I'd rather go straight to a reputable dealer, since cameras over $5000 are are typically about buying into a professional experience, rather than just a tool.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

Gaarryy
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 28, 2013 12:04 |  #28

Don't discount stores like Best Buy or even walmart. while they don't have them in stores you can buy online from them. They are official Canon retailers and sometimes they have store wide deals that extend to camera's {10/15% off } or interest free financing options if you don't want to pay all cash.

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

silvias13
167 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 28, 2013 12:27 |  #29

notastockpikr wrote in post #15640847 (external link)
Only if you are a Canadian CPS member. It's not a discount, it is a CPS price for L series lenses and 1 series bodies.

Wow had no idea. Wish they offered that here in the US :(

flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

sponsored links

10,363 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best Price on a Canon 1DX
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.