Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th of February 2013 (Sun)   #1
InterMurph

Default Battery pack recommendations; Quantum vs. Lumedyne vs. Impact (vs. Godox)

I'm looking for an external battery pack for my 600EX-RTs. I have found three that I think fit the bill:From the specs, it appears that all of these units are capable of giving me the number of pops I need. So my main concerns are recharge time and battery life.

For recharge time, the Quantum and Lumedyne claim 1 second or less, while the Impact claims "1.0 - 3.5 seconds".

For battery life, the Lumedyne unit claims it is a "no-memory" battery pack, but doesn't specify the battery technology. The Quantum unit is NiMH, while the Impact unit is lithim ion.

I would appreciate hearing from anybody who has owned any of these units for an appreciable period of time.

Thanks.

Last edited by InterMurph : 24th of February 2013 (Sun) at 12:43.
InterMurph is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of February 2013 (Sun)   #2
Trailboy

Default Re: Battery pack recommendations; Quantum vs. Lumedyne vs. Impact

Canon CP-E4 (if you have the bucks) or the Pixel/Yongnuo clones are both excellent for not much coin.

The newer Lithium Godox packs (and their earlier pb180) also looks very interesting indeed.

http://flashhavoc.com/godox-propac-pb960/
Trailboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of February 2013 (Sun)   #3
InterMurph

The Canon CP-E4 doesn't appear to be in the same class as the units I am considering; it's just 8 AA batteries.

The Godox unit seems perfect; more pops at 1/3 the price. But I can't find any user reviews, so I'm skeptical.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of February 2013 (Sun)   #4
Trailboy

My Yongnuo copy (I have three) of the cp-e4 recycles my 580exII to full in about 1.5-2 sec and usually last me an entire wedding. If they didn't, its no trouble to buy two of them to have a spare battery tray and it's a 15 second battery change.

The main reason I would consider the Godox is that awkwardness of having to charge 8 to 16 or more AAs the night before a wedding. With the godox, it's just one battery to recharge prior.

I really cant imagine the godox would be considerably better than my Yongnuo battery pack in performance however, just more convenient, but five times more expensive. A friend has the earlier godox, and loves it. He runs two 580exII in a softbox though, so uses the double output.
Old 24th of February 2013 (Sun)   #5
InterMurph

According to this review of the previous Godox model (PB820), B&H resells it as the [url="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/751060-REG/Bolt_PP_300_Power_Pack_for_Camera.html[/URL], which has 20 user reviews averaging 4.6. So maybe I am now a bit less skeptical.

The newer Godox model (PB960) is on eBay at $200, but that appears not to include a charger.

Still, it would be nice to hear from somebody with experience with the Godox PB960 model.
Old 24th of February 2013 (Sun)   #6
Trailboy

150 dollars including battery charger, and from a reputable dealer:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/External-G...item53f553c375

Yes, it would, I just have never felt the need to change from my 8 cell packs to be honest.
Old 24th of February 2013 (Sun)   #7
SYS
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailboy View Post
I just have never felt the need to change from my 8 cell packs to be honest.
Same here. If more is needed, just get an extra tray, not that I even needed to get this extra tray.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
SYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of February 2013 (Sun)   #8
InterMurph

OK, I ordered one of the BP960 units for $141.15. I figured that even if it turns out to be completely useless, it's still only a fraction of what the big ones cost, so it's worth the gamble. And I will still have time to order the big one before I really need it in May.

When it arrives, I will report back on my findings.

Thanks.
Old 24th of February 2013 (Sun)   #9
elv

I'm too slow... Edward will have these in the US in the next few days, you have it in no time and he will look after you if there's any issues -

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...270039&page=33

The new PB-960 is the new 4500mAh Lithium which will run a couple of speedlights at 1 second recycle.

Last edited by elv : 24th of February 2013 (Sun) at 22:42.
elv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of February 2013 (Sun)   #10
InterMurph

Elv, that link doesn't work; it has the '...' in it, indicating a faulty cut & paste.
Old 24th of February 2013 (Sun)   #11
elv

Oops sorry, its just the link to the Cheetah light thread, that uses the same battery pack -

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...270039&page=33

There is a short video in there somewhere of 3 x 300WS and one Canon flash, all running off the same little pack. Its like 1800 full power pops on a single speedlight.
Old 25th of February 2013 (Mon)   #12
Trailboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterMurph View Post
OK, I ordered one of the BP960 units for $141.15. I figured that even if it turns out to be completely useless, it's still only a fraction of what the big ones cost, so it's worth the gamble. And I will still have time to order the big one before I really need it in May.

Thanks.
Excellent. If you do, change the name of the thread to reflect it.
Old 25th of February 2013 (Mon)   #13
tetrode
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information

Quote:

Thanks.
I've been working with multiple 960 (Lithium 4500) packs for a few months now with no issues whatsoever. The packs are solid yet lightweight. Capacity is enormous: 855 full power pops from a 150Ws flash. The power ports on the pack are Quantum cable compatible so any Quantum cable can be used. A nice plus.
tetrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of March 2013 (Wed)   #14
InterMurph

So I ordered two Godox PB960 units on February 24th, from ebay seller 'greatfoto', for $141.15 each. The estimated delivery time from China was between March 6th and March 15th. I was given a tracking number that never revealed any information about the package.

Since then, this seller has been changing the price on these units quite often, usually above $200, and occasionally above $325.

This morning, I got an email asking if I had received the units. When I replied that I had not, and that the tracking number showed that they were not shipped, the seller said, "sorry about that, we're out of stock now, is it OK if we just cancel the transaction?"

I said that they were not out of stock, as their various eBay listings indicates, and that if they want to avoid negative feedback, they had best ship the units immediately, at the agreed-upon price.

I know that this is pretty much what one should expect from such a seller, but as I still can't find these for sale anywhere else, I had to take a chance.

Has anybody purchased this unit and actually received one?

Thanks.
Old 13th of March 2013 (Wed)   #15
tetrode
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information

Quote:
So I ordered two Godox PB960 units on February 24th, from ebay seller 'greatfoto', for $141.15 each. The estimated delivery time from China was between March 6th and March 15th. I was given a tracking number that never revealed any information about the package.

Since then, this seller has been changing the price on these units quite often, usually above $200, and occasionally above $325.

This morning, I got an email asking if I had received the units. When I replied that I had not, and that the tracking number showed that they were not shipped, the seller said, "sorry about that, we're out of stock now, is it OK if we just cancel the transaction?"

I said that they were not out of stock, as their various eBay listings indicates, and that if they want to avoid negative feedback, they had best ship the units immediately, at the agreed-upon price.

I know that this is pretty much what one should expect from such a seller, but as I still can't find these for sale anywhere else, I had to take a chance.

Has anybody purchased this unit and actually received one?

Thanks.
https://www.cheetahstand.com/product-p/cl-l4500.htm
tetrode is offline   Reply With Quote