FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 24 Feb 2013 (Sunday) 11:23   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

InterMurph
Joined Nov 2011
252 posts
Gloucester, Massachusetts
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm looking for an external battery pack for my 600EX-RTs. I have found three that I think fit the bill:

From the specs, it appears that all of these units are capable of giving me the number of pops I need. So my main concerns are recharge time and battery life.

For recharge time, the Quantum and Lumedyne claim 1 second or less, while the Impact claims "1.0 - 3.5 seconds".

For battery life, the Lumedyne unit claims it is a "no-memory" battery pack, but doesn't specify the battery technology. The Quantum unit is NiMH, while the Impact unit is lithim ion.

I would appreciate hearing from anybody who has owned any of these units for an appreciable period of time.

Thanks.

Post #1, Feb 24, 2013 11:23:36

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Trailboy
Joined Jan 2009
471 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Canon CP-E4 (if you have the bucks) or the Pixel/Yongnuo clones are both excellent for not much coin.

The newer Lithium Godox packs (and their earlier pb180) also looks very interesting indeed.

http://flashhavoc.com/​godox-propac-pb960/external link

Post #2, Feb 24, 2013 11:40:53

InterMurph
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2011
252 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

The Canon CP-E4 doesn't appear to be in the same class as the units I am considering; it's just 8 AA batteries.

The Godox unit seems perfect; more pops at 1/3 the price. But I can't find any user reviews, so I'm skeptical.

Post #3, Feb 24, 2013 11:51:55

Trailboy
Joined Jan 2009
471 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

My Yongnuo copy (I have three) of the cp-e4 recycles my 580exII to full in about 1.5-2 sec and usually last me an entire wedding. If they didn't, its no trouble to buy two of them to have a spare battery tray and it's a 15 second battery change.

The main reason I would consider the Godox is that awkwardness of having to charge 8 to 16 or more AAs the night before a wedding. With the godox, it's just one battery to recharge prior.

I really cant imagine the godox would be considerably better than my Yongnuo battery pack in performance however, just more convenient, but five times more expensive. A friend has the earlier godox, and loves it. He runs two 580exII in a softbox though, so uses the double output.

Post #4, Feb 24, 2013 12:00:59

InterMurph
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2011
252 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

According to this reviewexternal link of the previous Godox model (PB820), B&H resells it as the http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ...Pack_for_Camera.htm​l[/URLexternal link, which has 20 user reviews averaging 4.6. So maybe I am now a bit less skeptical.

The newer Godox model (PB960) is on eBay at $200, but that appears not to include a charger.

Still, it would be nice to hear from somebody with experience with the Godox PB960 model.

Post #5, Feb 24, 2013 12:42:25 as a reply to Trailboy's post 41 minutes earlier.

sponsored links
Trailboy
Joined Jan 2009
471 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

150 dollars including battery charger, and from a reputable dealer:

http://www.ebay.co.uk ...ts_JN&hash=item53f5​53c375external link

Yes, it would, I just have never felt the need to change from my 8 cell packs to be honest.

Post #6, Feb 24, 2013 12:55:23

SYS
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
8,103 posts
Gilligan's Island
[MORE/SHARE]

Trailboy wrote in post #15647016external link
I just have never felt the need to change from my 8 cell packs to be honest.

Same here. If more is needed, just get an extra tray, not that I even needed to get this extra tray.

Post #7, Feb 24, 2013 14:13:02

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

InterMurph
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2011
252 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

OK, I ordered one of the BP960 units for $141.15. I figured that even if it turns out to be completely useless, it's still only a fraction of what the big ones cost, so it's worth the gamble. And I will still have time to order the big one before I really need it in May.

When it arrives, I will report back on my findings.

Thanks.

Post #8, Feb 24, 2013 19:23:09

elv
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
1,184 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm too slow... Edward will have these in the US in the next few days, you have it in no time and he will look after you if there's any issues -

http://photography-on-the.net ...ead.php?t=1270039&p​age=33

The new PB-960 is the new 4500mAh Lithium which will run a couple of speedlights at 1 second recycle.

Post #9, Feb 24, 2013 19:59:03 as a reply to InterMurph's post 35 minutes earlier.

FLASHHAVOC.COMexternal link

InterMurph
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2011
252 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Elv, that link doesn't work; it has the '...' in it, indicating a faulty cut & paste.

Post #10, Feb 24, 2013 21:45:19

elv
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
1,184 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Oops sorry, its just the link to the Cheetah light thread, that uses the same battery pack -

http://photography-on-the.net ...ead.php?t=1270039&p​age=33

There is a short video in there somewhere of 3 x 300WS and one Canon flash, all running off the same little pack. Its like 1800 full power pops on a single speedlight.

Post #11, Feb 24, 2013 22:41:32 as a reply to InterMurph's post 56 minutes earlier.

FLASHHAVOC.COMexternal link

sponsored links
Trailboy
Joined Jan 2009
471 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

InterMurph wrote in post #15648169external link
OK, I ordered one of the BP960 units for $141.15. I figured that even if it turns out to be completely useless, it's still only a fraction of what the big ones cost, so it's worth the gamble. And I will still have time to order the big one before I really need it in May.

Thanks.

Excellent. If you do, change the name of the thread to reflect it.

Post #12, Feb 25, 2013 03:39:24

tetrode
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
Joined Jan 2006
3,769 posts
New York
[MORE/SHARE]

InterMurph wrote in post #15648169external link

Thanks.

I've been working with multiple 960 (Lithium 4500) packs for a few months now with no issues whatsoever. The packs are solid yet lightweight. Capacity is enormous: 855 full power pops from a 150Ws flash. The power ports on the pack are Quantum cable compatible so any Quantum cable can be used. A nice plus.

Post #13, Feb 25, 2013 06:53:28

InterMurph
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2011
252 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

So I ordered two Godox PB960 units on February 24th, from ebay seller 'greatfoto', for $141.15 each. The estimated delivery time from China was between March 6th and March 15th. I was given a tracking number that never revealed any information about the package.

Since then, this seller has been changing the price on these units quite often, usually above $200, and occasionally above $325.

This morning, I got an email asking if I had received the units. When I replied that I had not, and that the tracking number showed that they were not shipped, the seller said, "sorry about that, we're out of stock now, is it OK if we just cancel the transaction?"

I said that they were not out of stock, as their various eBay listings indicates, and that if they want to avoid negative feedback, they had best ship the units immediately, at the agreed-upon price.

I know that this is pretty much what one should expect from such a seller, but as I still can't find these for sale anywhere else, I had to take a chance.

Has anybody purchased this unit and actually received one?

Thanks.

Post #14, Mar 13, 2013 13:02:34

tetrode
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
Joined Jan 2006
3,769 posts
New York
[MORE/SHARE]

InterMurph wrote in post #15710967external link
So I ordered two Godox PB960 units on February 24th, from ebay seller 'greatfoto', for $141.15 each. The estimated delivery time from China was between March 6th and March 15th. I was given a tracking number that never revealed any information about the package.

Since then, this seller has been changing the price on these units quite often, usually above $200, and occasionally above $325.

This morning, I got an email asking if I had received the units. When I replied that I had not, and that the tracking number showed that they were not shipped, the seller said, "sorry about that, we're out of stock now, is it OK if we just cancel the transaction?"

I said that they were not out of stock, as their various eBay listings indicates, and that if they want to avoid negative feedback, they had best ship the units immediately, at the agreed-upon price.

I know that this is pretty much what one should expect from such a seller, but as I still can't find these for sale anywhere else, I had to take a chance.

Has anybody purchased this unit and actually received one?

Thanks.

https://www.cheetahsta​nd.com/product-p/cl-l4500.htmexternal link

Post #15, Mar 13, 2013 13:21:07

LIST NEARBY THREADS
4,683 views & 0 likes for this thread
Battery pack recommendations; Quantum vs. Lumedyne vs. Impact
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES