My first time shooting RAW.... Now what ????

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 03 Mar 2013 (Sunday) 16:24   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

en4h
Joined Feb 2013
54 posts
Connecticut
[MORE/SHARE]

Ok, so after learning a little more about my camera and a little more about the JPEG's that I've been shooting for the last year, I decided to save today's shoot in RAW (the ginormous size) for the first time, and JPEG's as well (also the big ones). I have a little bit of experience editing jpegs using the MSWindows photo editor; lightening, darkening, changing to monochrome, etc. It doesn't do too much. So what can I do with the RAW photos? Am I stuck until I get Photoshop, Lightroom, or something else? Or should I just sit on them until I can take a class? Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance... :D
Pete

Post #1, Mar 03, 2013 16:24:13

Pete G.
EOS 60D | 18-135 ef-s, 70-200 f4 L

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
LV ­ Moose
Silly Wonka
Joined Dec 2008
13,841 posts
Out in the freakin' desert :/
[MORE/SHARE]

Have you downloaded DPP?

Post #2, Mar 03, 2013 16:25:20

. . . . ---Moose--- . . . .

Gear... Flickrexternal link...Macroexternal link...Hummingbirdsexternal link

tonylong
do I really have to respond?
Joined Sep 2007
53,001 posts
Vancouver, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

en4h wrote in post #15672649external link
Ok, so after learning a little more about my camera and a little more about the JPEG's that I've been shooting for the last year, I decided to save today's shoot in RAW (the ginormous size) for the first time, and JPEG's as well (also the big ones). I have a little bit of experience editing jpegs using the MSWindows photo editor; lightening, darkening, changing to monochrome, etc. It doesn't do too much. So what can I do with the RAW photos? Am I stuck until I get Photoshop, Lightroom, or something else? Or should I just sit on them until I can take a class? Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance... :D
Pete

LV Moose wrote in post #15672656external link
Have you downloaded DPP?

^^This^^

Canon provides Digital Photo Professional (DPP) free for use with Canon Raw files. It's great as a "starter kit" for starting into Raw shooting/processing. In fact, with DPP you don't need to shoot Raw+jpeg, because DPP takes the in-camera settings for your Picture Style, White Balance, etc, used to create the jpeg, and DPP applies those settings to creating your Raw preview, and also can do a quick jpeg conversion using those settings. But with Raw you have much more flexibility so that you can "tweak" all your settings and "massage" your image for a better conversion/jpeg!

So if you have the software that came with your camera, put the disk into the computer! Then you can get the latest version by cancelling the automatic Install and going to the Canon Web site and downloading/installing the latest version. And, get the latest Users' Guide for DPP and read it!

Post #3, Mar 03, 2013 16:32:43

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

en4h
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2013
54 posts
Connecticut
[MORE/SHARE]

Forgot to mention, I'll be installing DPP and dowloading latest upload shortly.

Post #4, Mar 03, 2013 16:33:14

Pete G.
EOS 60D | 18-135 ef-s, 70-200 f4 L

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2009
2,355 posts
Moscow
[MORE/SHARE]

DPP is hardly the best Raw converter out there, but it is useable enough while you save up for something proper.

Both Photoshop and Lightroom use the same ACR engine, with Lr mainly offering management features over Ps, that make it faster to work with. If you're on a Mac, Aperture is another consideration, though I personally don't use it. At the high-end you have Capture One, which is great if you like obsessing over image quality, but it's quite expensive.

There are a lot of sources out there on how to manipulate Raw files, and I can assure you, it will change the way you work when you get used to it.

Post #5, Mar 03, 2013 16:34:52

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

sponsored links
CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
11,301 posts
In The Sticks
[MORE/SHARE]

Then you're on the right track. I would highly recommend Photoshop (CS3 at least). The older versions you might be able to pick up fairly cheap. After a bad experience with buying Windows 7 Ultimate on eBay I'd suggest finding a reputable dealer for it. You'll pay a little more but you'll be getting a valid product and not pirated software.

Post #6, Mar 03, 2013 16:38:33

Atlanta Wedding Photographerexternal link | The Toys! | Facebookexternal link | Videoexternal link | Flickrexternal link
“I believe the appropriate metaphor here involves a river of excrement and a Native American water vessel without any means of propulsion.”
― Sheldon Cooper

LV ­ Moose
Silly Wonka
Joined Dec 2008
13,841 posts
Out in the freakin' desert :/
[MORE/SHARE]

en4h wrote in post #15672691external link
Forgot to mention, I'll be installing DPP and dowloading latest upload shortly.

DPP is quite capable for the basics of RAW manipulation. For 90% of my shots, that's all I use. Get used to that, then test some other programs (Lightroom, Photoshop, GIMP, whatever).

Post #7, Mar 03, 2013 16:53:17

. . . . ---Moose--- . . . .

Gear... Flickrexternal link...Macroexternal link...Hummingbirdsexternal link

tonylong
do I really have to respond?
Joined Sep 2007
53,001 posts
Vancouver, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

DPP will get you started, in fact, there are numerous POTN users who happily use DPP for working with Raw, and then they use an "image editor" for other things they want/need to do. For that type of thing you may want to look into Photoshop Elements, although since you've been shooting and working with jpegs for the past year, well, there's nothing "new" there unless you want to "step up" to a higher level of image processing.

Now, you've heard about Photoshop CSx and Lightroom, and in time you may want to "buy in" to more elaborate software. I'd just say "take your time" -- read up on software you may be interested in. When you feel like you are ready to delve into something, download the free trial when you have a month that you can devote toward the "learning curve". And realize, these complex programs do have a learning curve! For example, Lightroom has a ton of enthusiastic users here, but to get started using Lightroom effectively, you need a concept of Digital Asset Management (DAM) which Lightroom embraces from the "get-go", organizational tools at the core that myny folks getting started don't grasp and so get frustrated.

So, if you're considering Lightroom, I'd start with getting a good Lightroom "primer" (such as the book by Scott Kelby), downloading the free trial, and spend the month walking through the primer one page/tutorial at a time, and in the meantime you'll have DPP, you can get work done (although you can't "share" Raw processing between DPP and other apps). And then, if you do get comfortable with Lightroom or PS CSx or whatever, you still have DPP as a "reference". You'll not that your initial previews/renderings will look "different" with different Raw processors. DPP is nice because you can choose a PIcture Style to get a "jpeg look" and then you can look at the DPP settings and use them as a reference to "tweak" things in your other Raw processor!

And, welcome to the "Digital Darkroom"!

Post #8, Mar 03, 2013 16:56:22

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2006
7,000 posts
Merseyside, England
[MORE/SHARE]

CameraMan wrote in post #15672711external link
Then you're on the right track. I would highly recommend Photoshop (CS3 at least). The older versions you might be able to pick up fairly cheap. After a bad experience with buying Windows 7 Ultimate on eBay I'd suggest finding a reputable dealer for it. You'll pay a little more but you'll be getting a valid product and not pirated software.

The OP has a 60D, the older versions aren't going to be able to read the raw files of a camera that new. I would think that CS5 is the oldest version that can handle it, but the OP would need to check that out by seeing which version of ACR is required for a 60D and which versions of PS can accept that.

Maybe someone with a 60D can chime in with the answer to which versions of PS will work.

Post #9, Mar 03, 2013 17:48:12

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
11,301 posts
In The Sticks
[MORE/SHARE]

You can get Adobe DNG converter. It's free and it will convert your 60D raw files to standard format DNG files, which will open in Photoshop CS3.

http://www.adobe.com ...ads/detail.jsp?ftpI​D=4924external link

It requires one extra step but worth it if you can get CS3 for dirt cheap.

Another route would be to buy the latest Photoshop Elements 11. It's $120 on Adobe's website but you could look around and find it cheaper somewhere else I'm sure.

Post #10, Mar 03, 2013 18:00:17

Atlanta Wedding Photographerexternal link | The Toys! | Facebookexternal link | Videoexternal link | Flickrexternal link
“I believe the appropriate metaphor here involves a river of excrement and a Native American water vessel without any means of propulsion.”
― Sheldon Cooper

Josh_30
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2008
1,552 posts
Knoxville, TN
[MORE/SHARE]

CS5 and ACR6.2 I think are the requirements for the 60D. Unless you want to convert CR2 to DNG, then it's pretty open.

DNG is looking better and better to me all the time. Adobe software becomes a bit of a slippery slope if you upgrade bodies fairly often. Chances are you should just figure in the cost of the latest and greatest CS because chances are, your new camera isn't going to be compatible with your "old" software.

Post #11, Mar 03, 2013 18:04:27

GEAR LIST 5D Mark III/G11/60D/580EX II/430EX/430EX II/Tokina 10-17/17-35 2.8L/24-70 2.8L/24-105 4L IS/70-200 2.8L IS/EF 50 1.4/EF 85 1.8/TAMRON SP AF 1.4x/TAMRON SP AF 90 2.8 MACRO/Manfrotto 209 & 055XPROB/488RC2/GITZO 1541T/MARKINS Q3T

sponsored links
tzalman
Fatal attraction.
Joined Apr 2005
12,598 posts
Gesher Haziv, Israel
[MORE/SHARE]

CameraMan wrote in post #15672975external link
You can get Adobe DNG converter. It's free and it will convert your 60D raw files to standard format DNG files, which will open in Photoshop CS3.

http://www.adobe.com ...ads/detail.jsp?ftpI​D=4924external link

It requires one extra step but worth it if you can get CS3 for dirt cheap.

Another route would be to buy the latest Photoshop Elements 11. It's $120 on Adobe's website but you could look around and find it cheaper somewhere else I'm sure.

The problem is that the current versions of ACR and LR with the P.V. 2012 engine are so hugely superior to any previous version that it is foolish to buy anything less. If I could buy only one photo editing application it would surely be Lightroom 4.

Post #12, Mar 04, 2013 01:02:53

Elie / אלי
I look at the world and I notice it's turning, while my guitar gently weeps.
With every mistake we must surely be learning, still my guitar gently weeps.
Paul Harrison
Siteexternal link

BigAl007
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
3,128 posts
Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
[MORE/SHARE]

If Adobe were to incorporate the pixel editing tools of the latest version of Elements into LR4 then I think photographers would have the perfect one stop photo management/editing solution. I don't think that there is anything much of great significance to photographers that is not contained within LR4+Elements 11 that you get with LR4+CS6.

Alan

Post #13, Mar 04, 2013 03:47:13

My Flickrexternal link

Condotierri
Joined Jan 2013
58 posts
Bay Area
[MORE/SHARE]

DPP can make a great foundation. It has less features than other software but I see that as an advantage. It's a very simple way to open, edit a RAW file and output a jpg.

The OP may find that it's not worth the effort or that the in-camera jpg is what he would have made from the RAW file anyway.

Post #14, Mar 04, 2013 04:05:46

5D3, 60D || 8 primes, 9 zooms
Flickrexternal link

Apricane
Joined Nov 2011
733 posts
Canada's Federal Capital
[MORE/SHARE]

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #15672698external link
DPP is hardly the best Raw converter out there, but it is useable enough while you save up for something proper.

Both Photoshop and Lightroom use the same ACR engine, with Lr mainly offering management features over Ps, that make it faster to work with. If you're on a Mac, Aperture is another consideration, though I personally don't use it. At the high-end you have Capture One, which is great if you like obsessing over image quality, but it's quite expensive.

There are a lot of sources out there on how to manipulate Raw files, and I can assure you, it will change the way you work when you get used to it.

I'd avoid Aperture for RAW editing (although I think it's great for organizing files). I much prefer using Photoshop for RAW editing after comparing both of them. (Although, there are times where I got more back from my photo using Aperture than PS; still, in most cases, I found Photoshop worked better).

Post #15, Mar 04, 2013 07:22:15

Apricane 500pxexternal link flickrexternal link | 7D mk II (???) | 70D | T2i | Speedlite 430EX II & 270EX II
15-85 | 70-300L | 35 f/2 IS | 40 f/2.8 | 60 f/2.8 | 100 f/2.8L Macro

LIST NEARBY THREADS
988 views & 0 likes for this thread
My first time shooting RAW.... Now what ????
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES