Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd of March 2013 (Sun)   #1
en4h

Default My first time shooting RAW.... Now what ????

Ok, so after learning a little more about my camera and a little more about the JPEG's that I've been shooting for the last year, I decided to save today's shoot in RAW (the ginormous size) for the first time, and JPEG's as well (also the big ones). I have a little bit of experience editing jpegs using the MSWindows photo editor; lightening, darkening, changing to monochrome, etc. It doesn't do too much. So what can I do with the RAW photos? Am I stuck until I get Photoshop, Lightroom, or something else? Or should I just sit on them until I can take a class? Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance...
Pete
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of March 2013 (Sun)   #2
LV Moose
Silly Wonka

Default Re: My first time shooting RAW.... Now what ????

Have you downloaded DPP?

Gear... Flickr...Macro...Hummingbirds
LV Moose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of March 2013 (Sun)   #3
tonylong
do I really have to respond?

Quote:
Originally Posted by en4h View Post
Ok, so after learning a little more about my camera and a little more about the JPEG's that I've been shooting for the last year, I decided to save today's shoot in RAW (the ginormous size) for the first time, and JPEG's as well (also the big ones). I have a little bit of experience editing jpegs using the MSWindows photo editor; lightening, darkening, changing to monochrome, etc. It doesn't do too much. So what can I do with the RAW photos? Am I stuck until I get Photoshop, Lightroom, or something else? Or should I just sit on them until I can take a class? Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance...
Pete
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV Moose View Post
Have you downloaded DPP?
^^This^^

Canon provides Digital Photo Professional (DPP) free for use with Canon Raw files. It's great as a "starter kit" for starting into Raw shooting/processing. In fact, with DPP you don't need to shoot Raw+jpeg, because DPP takes the in-camera settings for your Picture Style, White Balance, etc, used to create the jpeg, and DPP applies those settings to creating your Raw preview, and also can do a quick jpeg conversion using those settings. But with Raw you have much more flexibility so that you can "tweak" all your settings and "massage" your image for a better conversion/jpeg!

So if you have the software that came with your camera, put the disk into the computer! Then you can get the latest version by cancelling the automatic Install and going to the Canon Web site and downloading/installing the latest version. And, get the latest Users' Guide for DPP and read it!
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here

Last edited by tonylong : 3rd of March 2013 (Sun) at 16:42.
tonylong is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of March 2013 (Sun)   #4
en4h

Forgot to mention, I'll be installing DPP and dowloading latest upload shortly.
Old 3rd of March 2013 (Sun)   #5
Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember

DPP is hardly the best Raw converter out there, but it is useable enough while you save up for something proper.

Both Photoshop and Lightroom use the same ACR engine, with Lr mainly offering management features over Ps, that make it faster to work with. If you're on a Mac, Aperture is another consideration, though I personally don't use it. At the high-end you have Capture One, which is great if you like obsessing over image quality, but it's quite expensive.

There are a lot of sources out there on how to manipulate Raw files, and I can assure you, it will change the way you work when you get used to it.

I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.
Kolor-Pikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of March 2013 (Sun)   #6
CameraMan
Cream of the Crop

Then you're on the right track. I would highly recommend Photoshop (CS3 at least). The older versions you might be able to pick up fairly cheap. After a bad experience with buying Windows 7 Ultimate on eBay I'd suggest finding a reputable dealer for it. You'll pay a little more but you'll be getting a valid product and not pirated software.
CameraMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of March 2013 (Sun)   #7
LV Moose
Silly Wonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by en4h View Post
Forgot to mention, I'll be installing DPP and dowloading latest upload shortly.
DPP is quite capable for the basics of RAW manipulation. For 90% of my shots, that's all I use. Get used to that, then test some other programs (Lightroom, Photoshop, GIMP, whatever).

Gear... Flickr...Macro...Hummingbirds
LV Moose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of March 2013 (Sun)   #8
tonylong
do I really have to respond?

DPP will get you started, in fact, there are numerous POTN users who happily use DPP for working with Raw, and then they use an "image editor" for other things they want/need to do. For that type of thing you may want to look into Photoshop Elements, although since you've been shooting and working with jpegs for the past year, well, there's nothing "new" there unless you want to "step up" to a higher level of image processing.

Now, you've heard about Photoshop CSx and Lightroom, and in time you may want to "buy in" to more elaborate software. I'd just say "take your time" -- read up on software you may be interested in. When you feel like you are ready to delve into something, download the free trial when you have a month that you can devote toward the "learning curve". And realize, these complex programs do have a learning curve! For example, Lightroom has a ton of enthusiastic users here, but to get started using Lightroom effectively, you need a concept of Digital Asset Management (DAM) which Lightroom embraces from the "get-go", organizational tools at the core that myny folks getting started don't grasp and so get frustrated.

So, if you're considering Lightroom, I'd start with getting a good Lightroom "primer" (such as the book by Scott Kelby), downloading the free trial, and spend the month walking through the primer one page/tutorial at a time, and in the meantime you'll have DPP, you can get work done (although you can't "share" Raw processing between DPP and other apps). And then, if you do get comfortable with Lightroom or PS CSx or whatever, you still have DPP as a "reference". You'll not that your initial previews/renderings will look "different" with different Raw processors. DPP is nice because you can choose a PIcture Style to get a "jpeg look" and then you can look at the DPP settings and use them as a reference to "tweak" things in your other Raw processor!

And, welcome to the "Digital Darkroom"!
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
tonylong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of March 2013 (Sun)   #9
sandpiper
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraMan View Post
Then you're on the right track. I would highly recommend Photoshop (CS3 at least). The older versions you might be able to pick up fairly cheap. After a bad experience with buying Windows 7 Ultimate on eBay I'd suggest finding a reputable dealer for it. You'll pay a little more but you'll be getting a valid product and not pirated software.
The OP has a 60D, the older versions aren't going to be able to read the raw files of a camera that new. I would think that CS5 is the oldest version that can handle it, but the OP would need to check that out by seeing which version of ACR is required for a 60D and which versions of PS can accept that.

Maybe someone with a 60D can chime in with the answer to which versions of PS will work.
sandpiper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of March 2013 (Sun)   #10
CameraMan
Cream of the Crop

You can get Adobe DNG converter. It's free and it will convert your 60D raw files to standard format DNG files, which will open in Photoshop CS3.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=4924

It requires one extra step but worth it if you can get CS3 for dirt cheap.

Another route would be to buy the latest Photoshop Elements 11. It's $120 on Adobe's website but you could look around and find it cheaper somewhere else I'm sure.

Last edited by CameraMan : 3rd of March 2013 (Sun) at 18:04.
CameraMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of March 2013 (Sun)   #11
Josh_30

CS5 and ACR6.2 I think are the requirements for the 60D. Unless you want to convert CR2 to DNG, then it's pretty open.

DNG is looking better and better to me all the time. Adobe software becomes a bit of a slippery slope if you upgrade bodies fairly often. Chances are you should just figure in the cost of the latest and greatest CS because chances are, your new camera isn't going to be compatible with your "old" software.
GEAR LIST 5D Mark III/G11/60D/580EX II/430EX/430EX II/Tokina 10-17/17-35 2.8L/24-70 2.8L/24-105 4L IS/70-200 2.8L IS/EF 50 1.4/EF 85 1.8/TAMRON SP AF 1.4x/TAMRON SP AF 90 2.8 MACRO/Manfrotto 209 & 055XPROB/488RC2/GITZO 1541T/MARKINS Q3T

Last edited by Josh_30 : 3rd of March 2013 (Sun) at 18:08.
Josh_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of March 2013 (Mon)   #12
tzalman
Fatal attraction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraMan View Post
You can get Adobe DNG converter. It's free and it will convert your 60D raw files to standard format DNG files, which will open in Photoshop CS3.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=4924

It requires one extra step but worth it if you can get CS3 for dirt cheap.

Another route would be to buy the latest Photoshop Elements 11. It's $120 on Adobe's website but you could look around and find it cheaper somewhere else I'm sure.
The problem is that the current versions of ACR and LR with the P.V. 2012 engine are so hugely superior to any previous version that it is foolish to buy anything less. If I could buy only one photo editing application it would surely be Lightroom 4.
"If you presume to love something, you must love the process of it much more than you love the finished product." John Irving, 5/2012. "In theory there is no difference between practice and theory, but in practice there is." Yogi Berra
Site
tzalman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of March 2013 (Mon)   #13
BigAl007
Goldmember

If Adobe were to incorporate the pixel editing tools of the latest version of Elements into LR4 then I think photographers would have the perfect one stop photo management/editing solution. I don't think that there is anything much of great significance to photographers that is not contained within LR4+Elements 11 that you get with LR4+CS6.

Alan
BigAl007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of March 2013 (Mon)   #14
Condotierri

DPP can make a great foundation. It has less features than other software but I see that as an advantage. It's a very simple way to open, edit a RAW file and output a jpg.

The OP may find that it's not worth the effort or that the in-camera jpg is what he would have made from the RAW file anyway.
Old 4th of March 2013 (Mon)   #15
Apricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolor-Pikker View Post
DPP is hardly the best Raw converter out there, but it is useable enough while you save up for something proper.

Both Photoshop and Lightroom use the same ACR engine, with Lr mainly offering management features over Ps, that make it faster to work with. If you're on a Mac, Aperture is another consideration, though I personally don't use it. At the high-end you have Capture One, which is great if you like obsessing over image quality, but it's quite expensive.

There are a lot of sources out there on how to manipulate Raw files, and I can assure you, it will change the way you work when you get used to it.
I'd avoid Aperture for RAW editing (although I think it's great for organizing files). I much prefer using Photoshop for RAW editing after comparing both of them. (Although, there are times where I got more back from my photo using Aperture than PS; still, in most cases, I found Photoshop worked better).