Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 03 Mar 2013 (Sunday) 16:24
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

My first time shooting RAW.... Now what ????

en4h
55 posts
Joined Feb 2013
Connecticut
Mar 03, 2013 16:24 |  #1

Ok, so after learning a little more about my camera and a little more about the JPEG's that I've been shooting for the last year, I decided to save today's shoot in RAW (the ginormous size) for the first time, and JPEG's as well (also the big ones). I have a little bit of experience editing jpegs using the MSWindows photo editor; lightening, darkening, changing to monochrome, etc. It doesn't do too much. So what can I do with the RAW photos? Am I stuck until I get Photoshop, Lightroom, or something else? Or should I just sit on them until I can take a class? Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance... :D
Pete

Pete G.
EOS 60D | 18-135 ef-s, 70-200 f4 L

sponsored links
LV ­ Moose
All the unicorns are dead
Joined Dec 2008
Hangin' with the Muffins at the Moose Mosque
Mar 03, 2013 16:25 |  #2

Have you downloaded DPP?

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link) Donate to the forum...
or, bring your money to the closest Moose Mosque. A voluptuous Muffin will be happy to relieve you of it.

tonylong
"Amazingly attractive"
53,772 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Mar 03, 2013 16:32 |  #3

en4h wrote in post #15672649external link
Ok, so after learning a little more about my camera and a little more about the JPEG's that I've been shooting for the last year, I decided to save today's shoot in RAW (the ginormous size) for the first time, and JPEG's as well (also the big ones). I have a little bit of experience editing jpegs using the MSWindows photo editor; lightening, darkening, changing to monochrome, etc. It doesn't do too much. So what can I do with the RAW photos? Am I stuck until I get Photoshop, Lightroom, or something else? Or should I just sit on them until I can take a class? Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance... :D
Pete

LV Moose wrote in post #15672656external link
Have you downloaded DPP?

^^This^^

Canon provides Digital Photo Professional (DPP) free for use with Canon Raw files. It's great as a "starter kit" for starting into Raw shooting/processing. In fact, with DPP you don't need to shoot Raw+jpeg, because DPP takes the in-camera settings for your Picture Style, White Balance, etc, used to create the jpeg, and DPP applies those settings to creating your Raw preview, and also can do a quick jpeg conversion using those settings. But with Raw you have much more flexibility so that you can "tweak" all your settings and "massage" your image for a better conversion/jpeg!

So if you have the software that came with your camera, put the disk into the computer! Then you can get the latest version by cancelling the automatic Install and going to the Canon Web site and downloading/installing the latest version. And, get the latest Users' Guide for DPP and read it!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

en4h
THREAD ­ STARTER
55 posts
Joined Feb 2013
Connecticut
Mar 03, 2013 16:33 |  #4

Forgot to mention, I'll be installing DPP and dowloading latest upload shortly.

Pete G.
EOS 60D | 18-135 ef-s, 70-200 f4 L

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,734 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Moscow
Mar 03, 2013 16:34 |  #5

DPP is hardly the best Raw converter out there, but it is useable enough while you save up for something proper.

Both Photoshop and Lightroom use the same ACR engine, with Lr mainly offering management features over Ps, that make it faster to work with. If you're on a Mac, Aperture is another consideration, though I personally don't use it. At the high-end you have Capture One, which is great if you like obsessing over image quality, but it's quite expensive.

There are a lot of sources out there on how to manipulate Raw files, and I can assure you, it will change the way you work when you get used to it.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
12,429 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2010
In The Sticks
Mar 03, 2013 16:38 |  #6

Then you're on the right track. I would highly recommend Photoshop (CS3 at least). The older versions you might be able to pick up fairly cheap. After a bad experience with buying Windows 7 Ultimate on eBay I'd suggest finding a reputable dealer for it. You'll pay a little more but you'll be getting a valid product and not pirated software.

Atlanta Wedding Photographerexternal link | The Toys! | Facebookexternal link | Videoexternal link | Flickrexternal link
“I believe the appropriate metaphor here involves a river of excrement and a Native American water vessel without any means of propulsion.”
― Sheldon Cooper

LV ­ Moose
All the unicorns are dead
Joined Dec 2008
Hangin' with the Muffins at the Moose Mosque
Mar 03, 2013 16:53 |  #7

en4h wrote in post #15672691external link
Forgot to mention, I'll be installing DPP and dowloading latest upload shortly.

DPP is quite capable for the basics of RAW manipulation. For 90% of my shots, that's all I use. Get used to that, then test some other programs (Lightroom, Photoshop, GIMP, whatever).

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link) Donate to the forum...
or, bring your money to the closest Moose Mosque. A voluptuous Muffin will be happy to relieve you of it.

tonylong
"Amazingly attractive"
53,772 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Mar 03, 2013 16:56 |  #8

DPP will get you started, in fact, there are numerous POTN users who happily use DPP for working with Raw, and then they use an "image editor" for other things they want/need to do. For that type of thing you may want to look into Photoshop Elements, although since you've been shooting and working with jpegs for the past year, well, there's nothing "new" there unless you want to "step up" to a higher level of image processing.

Now, you've heard about Photoshop CSx and Lightroom, and in time you may want to "buy in" to more elaborate software. I'd just say "take your time" -- read up on software you may be interested in. When you feel like you are ready to delve into something, download the free trial when you have a month that you can devote toward the "learning curve". And realize, these complex programs do have a learning curve! For example, Lightroom has a ton of enthusiastic users here, but to get started using Lightroom effectively, you need a concept of Digital Asset Management (DAM) which Lightroom embraces from the "get-go", organizational tools at the core that myny folks getting started don't grasp and so get frustrated.

So, if you're considering Lightroom, I'd start with getting a good Lightroom "primer" (such as the book by Scott Kelby), downloading the free trial, and spend the month walking through the primer one page/tutorial at a time, and in the meantime you'll have DPP, you can get work done (although you can't "share" Raw processing between DPP and other apps). And then, if you do get comfortable with Lightroom or PS CSx or whatever, you still have DPP as a "reference". You'll not that your initial previews/renderings will look "different" with different Raw processors. DPP is nice because you can choose a PIcture Style to get a "jpeg look" and then you can look at the DPP settings and use them as a reference to "tweak" things in your other Raw processor!

And, welcome to the "Digital Darkroom"!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,125 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006
Merseyside, England
Mar 03, 2013 17:48 |  #9

CameraMan wrote in post #15672711external link
Then you're on the right track. I would highly recommend Photoshop (CS3 at least). The older versions you might be able to pick up fairly cheap. After a bad experience with buying Windows 7 Ultimate on eBay I'd suggest finding a reputable dealer for it. You'll pay a little more but you'll be getting a valid product and not pirated software.

The OP has a 60D, the older versions aren't going to be able to read the raw files of a camera that new. I would think that CS5 is the oldest version that can handle it, but the OP would need to check that out by seeing which version of ACR is required for a 60D and which versions of PS can accept that.

Maybe someone with a 60D can chime in with the answer to which versions of PS will work.

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
12,429 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2010
In The Sticks
Mar 03, 2013 18:00 |  #10

You can get Adobe DNG converter. It's free and it will convert your 60D raw files to standard format DNG files, which will open in Photoshop CS3.

http://www.adobe.com ...ads/detail.jsp?ftpI​D=4924external link

It requires one extra step but worth it if you can get CS3 for dirt cheap.

Another route would be to buy the latest Photoshop Elements 11. It's $120 on Adobe's website but you could look around and find it cheaper somewhere else I'm sure.

Atlanta Wedding Photographerexternal link | The Toys! | Facebookexternal link | Videoexternal link | Flickrexternal link
“I believe the appropriate metaphor here involves a river of excrement and a Native American water vessel without any means of propulsion.”
― Sheldon Cooper

Lyndön
Goldmember
1,809 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2008
Knoxville, TN
Mar 03, 2013 18:04 |  #11

CS5 and ACR6.2 I think are the requirements for the 60D. Unless you want to convert CR2 to DNG, then it's pretty open.

DNG is looking better and better to me all the time. Adobe software becomes a bit of a slippery slope if you upgrade bodies fairly often. Chances are you should just figure in the cost of the latest and greatest CS because chances are, your new camera isn't going to be compatible with your "old" software.

GEAR LIST

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,150 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Gesher Haziv, Israel
Mar 04, 2013 01:02 |  #12

CameraMan wrote in post #15672975external link
You can get Adobe DNG converter. It's free and it will convert your 60D raw files to standard format DNG files, which will open in Photoshop CS3.

http://www.adobe.com ...ads/detail.jsp?ftpI​D=4924external link

It requires one extra step but worth it if you can get CS3 for dirt cheap.

Another route would be to buy the latest Photoshop Elements 11. It's $120 on Adobe's website but you could look around and find it cheaper somewhere else I'm sure.

The problem is that the current versions of ACR and LR with the P.V. 2012 engine are so hugely superior to any previous version that it is foolish to buy anything less. If I could buy only one photo editing application it would surely be Lightroom 4.

Elie / אלי

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Mar 04, 2013 03:47 |  #13

If Adobe were to incorporate the pixel editing tools of the latest version of Elements into LR4 then I think photographers would have the perfect one stop photo management/editing solution. I don't think that there is anything much of great significance to photographers that is not contained within LR4+Elements 11 that you get with LR4+CS6.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Condotierri
58 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Bay Area
Mar 04, 2013 04:05 |  #14

DPP can make a great foundation. It has less features than other software but I see that as an advantage. It's a very simple way to open, edit a RAW file and output a jpg.

The OP may find that it's not worth the effort or that the in-camera jpg is what he would have made from the RAW file anyway.

5D3, 60D || 8 primes, 9 zooms
Flickrexternal link

Apricane
796 posts
Joined Nov 2011
Canada's Federal Capital
Mar 04, 2013 07:22 |  #15

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #15672698external link
DPP is hardly the best Raw converter out there, but it is useable enough while you save up for something proper.

Both Photoshop and Lightroom use the same ACR engine, with Lr mainly offering management features over Ps, that make it faster to work with. If you're on a Mac, Aperture is another consideration, though I personally don't use it. At the high-end you have Capture One, which is great if you like obsessing over image quality, but it's quite expensive.

There are a lot of sources out there on how to manipulate Raw files, and I can assure you, it will change the way you work when you get used to it.

I'd avoid Aperture for RAW editing (although I think it's great for organizing files). I much prefer using Photoshop for RAW editing after comparing both of them. (Although, there are times where I got more back from my photo using Aperture than PS; still, in most cases, I found Photoshop worked better).

Apricane 500px (external link) flickr (external link) | 6D | 70D | T2i | 430EX II & 270EX II
15-85 | ∑24-105A | 55-250 STM | 70-300L
24 STM | 35 f/2 IS | 40 STM | 60 Macro | 100L

sponsored links

1,528 views & 0 likes for this thread
My first time shooting RAW.... Now what ????
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.