Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 07 Mar 2013 (Thursday) 22:09
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Should I rent the 17 TS-E or 24 TS-E?

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010
Toronto, Canada
Mar 07, 2013 22:09 |  #1

Hey guys,

First week of April I will be doing a commercial shoot for a printing company and they want shots that involve large interior spaces and large printing presses. While I do have a 17-40L and a 24-105L, Im worried that the heavy distortion at the wide ends will be more difficult to correct and will result in not getting the full image I'm going for.

I want to rent a TS-E to make sure this aspect is covered. Should I just get the 17mm and be good, I think 17mm should be great, just don't to get 24mm and have to stitch images.

So I guess I kind of answered my question but want some confirmation :lol: Never used a TS-E before and want to be sure I'm making a good decision here. Want to hear thoughts and feedback. Thanks!

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links
imposterjeff
Goldmember
1,543 posts
Joined May 2008
odessa tx
Mar 07, 2013 22:12 |  #2

all i can say is they are awesome i jumped in head first and purchased a 24mm tse mkii before trying one and well after a week of using it i was purchasing the 90mm tse i want the other two but money is tight right now

5Dmkii bge6 x2
Σ 35 ART | Σ 50 ART | Σ 85mm | 135mm f/2L
Leica m6ttl | voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 | pentax 6x7 | 105MM F2.4

Tony_Stark
THREAD ­ STARTER
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010
Toronto, Canada
Mar 07, 2013 22:13 |  #3

imposterjeff wrote in post #15690163external link
all i can say is they are awesome i jumped in head first and purchased a 24mm tse mkii before trying one and well after a week of using it i was purchasing the 90mm tse i want the other two but money is tight right now

I'm watching the video on DigitalRev with the 17mm and it looks amazing with that bulbous front element. I think the 17mm will do the trick for this job.

EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

imposterjeff
Goldmember
1,543 posts
Joined May 2008
odessa tx
Mar 07, 2013 22:17 |  #4

it probably will do very well it took a little getting used to but all in all its all good for me now

5Dmkii bge6 x2
Σ 35 ART | Σ 50 ART | Σ 85mm | 135mm f/2L
Leica m6ttl | voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 | pentax 6x7 | 105MM F2.4

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,305 posts
Joined Apr 2003
British Columbia
Mar 07, 2013 22:26 |  #5

Tony_Stark wrote in post #15690154external link
Hey guys,

First week of April I will be doing a commercial shoot for a printing company and they want shots that involve large interior spaces and large printing presses. While I do have a 17-40L and a 24-105L, Im worried that the heavy distortion at the wide ends will be more difficult to correct and will result in not getting the full image I'm going for.

I want to rent a TS-E to make sure this aspect is covered. Should I just get the 17mm and be good, I think 17mm should be great, just don't to get 24mm and have to stitch images.

So I guess I kind of answered my question but want some confirmation :lol: Never used a TS-E before and want to be sure I'm making a good decision here. Want to hear thoughts and feedback. Thanks!

I'd give yourself a goid few days of getting used to a TSE before using it on the shoot. They are a different beast.

ejenner
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2011
Denver, CO
Mar 07, 2013 22:41 as a reply to Hogloff's post |  #6

Maybe. I must admit I don't do much in the way of interiors, but in houses I have generally not needed them because I can get the camera at a height/angle that does not cause undue distortion.

However, the TS-E will give you the opportunity to set the camera down low, high or even off to the side of the subject or direction you are shooting and still not get converging verticals. For a commercial shoot it would seem wise to rent one. Could get some interesting shots of machinery.

So, if you do decide it would be good, then definitely practice before hand. Up/down movements are pretty obvious, however my one eureka moment with a TS-E was when I realized that for architecture, side movements are very, very useful (usually mostly up with a bit of side movement for buildings). Getting the camera set up right and then invoking a movement at an angle is not rocket science, but takes a bit of practice. You can also get some strange unwanted perspective effects, so watch the background if it is important.

The 17mm is not exactly distortion-free, but it's pretty darn good, obviously better than either zoom. Not sure about the 24 when you start shifting it.

The 17 will also take the 1.4xTC and 2xTC. Even with the 2xTC (II) the IQ is pretty good - still better than either of those zooms away from the center and I prefer it for landscapes than either zoom at 35mm.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

noisejammer
Goldmember
1,053 posts
Joined May 2010
Toronto ON
Mar 07, 2013 23:00 |  #7

Tony, if you have a 1.4x tc, the choice is easy - get the 17mm. This will allow you the freedom to use it at 23mm too. Stopped down to f/8 it is more than adequate for most jobs.

Before committing though, I would want to know how large the printed images are expected to be. Getting in close with a 17mm creates significant perspective distortion and your clients may not be comfortable with this.

Several cameras and more glass than I will admit to.
Flickrexternal link

Tony_Stark
THREAD ­ STARTER
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010
Toronto, Canada
Mar 07, 2013 23:07 |  #8

noisejammer wrote in post #15690325external link
Tony, if you have a 1.4x tc, the choice is easy - get the 17mm. This will allow you the freedom to use it at 23mm too. Stopped down to f/8 it is more than adequate for most jobs.

Before committing though, I would want to know how large the printed images are expected to be. Getting in close with a 17mm creates significant perspective distortion and your clients may not be comfortable with this.

The images are for website usage.

Is this referring to the 17 TS-E? I know wide lens really distort the subject, but having my 2 zoom lenses and the TS-E I feel I should be prepared to shoot anything really. The printing machines really are massive and I will be shooting in a massive warehouse/building.

EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Mar 08, 2013 00:00 |  #9

Bear in mind that you can't use filters with the 17mm. How are you gonna kill glare?

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Tony_Stark
THREAD ­ STARTER
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010
Toronto, Canada
Mar 08, 2013 00:09 |  #10

Alveric wrote in post #15690465external link
Bear in mind that you can't use filters with the 17mm. How are you gonna kill glare?

I dont see that as being a problem. I never use a CPL as it is with my car related stuff.

EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006
LA
Mar 08, 2013 00:14 |  #11

Go 17.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

Radek
96 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Warsaw/Poland
Mar 08, 2013 04:20 |  #12

This kind of photography is exactly what this lens was designed for. I used to have the ts-e 17 lens and for interiors it was just perfect. For exterior building shooting 24 would be better (it gives more natural perspective - does not stretch walls that much ).

6D + 5d2 + 24-70 2.8 + 70-200 2.8 IS II + 24 1.4 + 50 1.4
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/mrozku/external link

noisejammer
Goldmember
1,053 posts
Joined May 2010
Toronto ON
Mar 08, 2013 05:38 |  #13

Tony_Stark wrote in post #15690351external link
The images are for website usage.

Is this referring to the 17 TS-E? I know wide lens really distort the subject, but having my 2 zoom lenses and the TS-E I feel I should be prepared to shoot anything really. The printing machines really are massive and I will be shooting in a massive warehouse/building.

Yes - I meant the TS-E 17. Sorry for the confusion. You can plug it onto a 1.4x tc with good effect and there will be no issue with image quality (particularly if the images will mostly be viewed on the web.) My testing convinced me that at f/8, the TS-E 17 + 1.4x III was at least the equal of the TS-E 24 II however, the field curvature was different. For web presentation, you won't be able to tell them apart.

The perspective distortion I referred to is purely an effect of relative distances to the focal plane. The reason I asked is that if you're too close to the subject, perspective distortion can create peculiar effects.

Finally, a comment was made on the difficulty of using filters to suppress glare or glint. This is not insurmountable if you place your lighting sources appropriately. I'd suggest that the biggest issue may be illuminating the room evenly - however this can also be sorted out in post.

Several cameras and more glass than I will admit to.
Flickrexternal link

Tony_Stark
THREAD ­ STARTER
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010
Toronto, Canada
Mar 08, 2013 09:11 |  #14

Want to thank everyone for sharing their views, I am set on the 17 TS-E and cannot wait to try out and use it! Will share my experiences next month after I get a chance to work with this beauty!

EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006
LA
Mar 09, 2013 04:43 |  #15

Waiting for your nice images now, also upload the most unliked image and tell why.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

sponsored links

1,685 views & 0 likes for this thread
Should I rent the 17 TS-E or 24 TS-E?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.