Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 10 Mar 2013 (Sunday) 20:53
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Disposable Tripod ?

dhornick
Joined Oct 2012
Omaha, NE
Mar 10, 2013 20:53 |  #1

Anyone know of a way to make a disposable tripod on site for one or two shots? We'll be back packing through Europe and while I've committed to carry a camera and a couple lens I don't feel like lugging a tripod along. Anyone know of any tricks? Of course I know about using ledges, bricks, walls but feel I need something else. Would like a way to steady the camera for night exposures and longer shutter speeds.

Darrell
6D | 16-35mm f/4 L | 8-15mm Fisheye L | 24-105mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 100-400mm f/4.5 5.6L | Speedlights 430EX III, 600EX II RT & ST-E3-RT transmitter.
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Koz21
Joined Jan 2012
Macomb Township, MI
Mar 10, 2013 20:58 |  #2

dhornick wrote in post #15700180external link
Anyone know of a way to make a disposable tripod on site for one or two shots? We'll be back packing through Europe and while I've committed to carry a camera and a couple lens I don't feel like lugging a tripod along. Anyone know of any tricks? Of course I know about using ledges, bricks, walls but feel I need something else. Would like a way to steady the camera for night exposures and longer shutter speeds.

Not disposable but easy to carry in a bag
http://joby.com/gorill​apodexternal link

From the east side of the mitten!

Heath
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Sep 2009
NYC, NY
Mar 10, 2013 21:09 |  #3

What about bringing a ball head and attaching it to a small piece of wood? Like a 4"x4" piece of plywood.

You can use found objects to weigh down the small piece of wood, and then use the tripod head to position the camera.

The joby is also a really good idea.

Heath
"Some photographers push the envelope. Some sit behind a keyboard and criticize their accomplishments." (seen in the comments of a photo article)
Blogexternal link-Twitterexternal link-Zenfolioexternal link-500pxexternal link-Pinterestexternal link-Gear List

recrisp
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Paris, Texas
Mar 10, 2013 21:27 as a reply to Koz21's post |  #4

Personally, I would go with PVC for a small tripod, it is very light, and can be dealt with accordingly after you are done with it. (Give it to someone there in Europe)

First, if you are only talking a DSLR and a smallish lens, then it shouldn't be a problem at all. If not, a weighty bird or wildlife type lens, it may not, and probably is not, a good thing. :)

If you look at PVC pieces, they can tell you what you need to know, (hopefully) if you are wanting a larger, normal sized tripod, I wouldn't advise it, although, it is doable. I make stuff out of PVC all of the time, in extreme heat it can get soft and bend, and in extreme cold, it 'could', but probably wouldn't, break. It's not perfect, but in a normal weather pattern, this can work for you, and work really well.

The hardest part is connecting the camera to the PVC, the thing you need most is the 1/4x20 bolts, that is the thing that will attach your camera to the (squarish) tripod base. (You could screw a tripod base-plate of your choice on it too, to make it easy to release)
The base is whatever you want to use, but something that is safe for your camera. (By the way, this is a disposable tripod, so don't leave the camera on it unattended, you might regret it) All this will be is three short (3'?) pieces of PVC pipe (schedule 40 thickness) and the bolt and a base-plate. Stare at a tripod and I would imagine that you should soon see what you need to build to suit your trip. A few 45 degree elbows, and a piece of acrylic for a place to attach your elbows for your legs. Using good screws, it wouldn't be anywhere near what a 'real' tripod could do, but it'd work.
By the way, this can be easily made to dismantle so you can stick in in a bag/carrier of some sort...

I would never build a PVC tripod to use daily, to keep, but in a situation like yours, that sounds like it might be what you need to do. You could use wood, which would be a lot more sturdy, and heavier too, that would also be disposable, it's all in what you want to try and do.

Anyway, this may sound crazy to you, but it may be a jump start for an idea, hopefully it helps some. :)

Randy

Gear List
flickr (external link)

J ­ Michael
Joined Feb 2010
Atlanta
Mar 10, 2013 21:34 |  #5

Bean bag. Eat the beans or rice and pack the bag.

recrisp
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Paris, Texas
Mar 10, 2013 21:35 as a reply to recrisp's post |  #6

Here's a really quick and easy tripod that is (partially) made from PVC.

http://www.iceshanty.c​om/ice_fishing/index.p​hp?topic=165689.0external link

In case all else fails, use this, it actually works for what it is, it can't hold a camera and let you take group shots. heheh (The top one is the one I am referring to)
http://crave.cnet.co.u​k ...hotography-tips-49304077/external link

Randy

Gear List
flickr (external link)

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Swaying to the Symphony of Destruction
Mar 10, 2013 21:45 as a reply to recrisp's post |  #7

I saw amphoto suggest one made out of rope. Looks and sounds perfect for what you need. You put the rope under your feet, and pull up on it.

Anyone remember this, or know about it?

oops.. looks like Randy posted it. :oops:

Kel
Gear

recrisp
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Paris, Texas
Mar 10, 2013 22:15 as a reply to 1Tanker's post |  #8

Here's is a 'pod' that can be used in a LOT of ways, but it's not very tall, you could make it taller, but I don't know how you plan on using yours.

This guy is fun to watch anyway... :)

http://shelf3d.com/yin​eIrXyDjs#Multi%20Podexternal link

Randy

Gear List
flickr (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Nov 2010
Hong Kong
Mar 10, 2013 22:25 |  #9

J Michael wrote in post #15700329external link
Bean bag. Eat the beans or rice and pack the bag.

This.

-Tom
Flickr
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Motor ­ On
940 posts
Joined Feb 2007
Mar 10, 2013 22:34 |  #10

I'll third the bean bag suggestion.

Websiteexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Instagramexternal link

OhLook
Spiderwoman
16,043 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Mar 10, 2013 23:03 |  #11

There's a foldable walking stick that's easily converted into a monopod. The manufacturer is The Folstaf Company.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

Luxornv
223 posts
Joined Nov 2012
Mar 10, 2013 23:33 |  #12

Get a 1/4-20 screw and tie a string to it. Step on the string and put tension on it to stabilize the camera. Kind of an oddball monopod.

Canon Rebel T3i - 18-55mm Kit lens- Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 - Rokinon 8mm Fish Eye - Canon 40mm f/2.8 Pancake - Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003
southern Alberta, Canada
Mar 11, 2013 00:50 as a reply to Luxornv's post |  #13

Since I am no good with a sewing machine I hit up my sister to make me some bags with zippers in them. I found some material with a quasi rubber backing and she made them so that they are about 6x6x4". When I am traveling I can use whatever material is handy to fill them with or failing nothing suitable I will stop and buy some beans, rice, etc., anything that will form around the base of the camera. Sorry I am not at home right now otherwise I would have made some pictures of them. I empty them when I travel. I came across this idea while traveling to Hawaii where I was using a simple plastic bag that I would fill with beach sand. It works ok, not as good as a real tripod but fills the void when in a pinch.

I have bought many a tripod over the years for traveling and I recently ordred a MeFOTO GlobeTrotterexternal link. I saw a person using one of these while recently in Hawaii and it seemed good enough for basic use and it doesn't weigh a whole lot and should fit into one of my larger suitcases.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Galleryexternal link | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

dhornick
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2012
Omaha, NE
Mar 11, 2013 08:07 as a reply to ssim's post |  #14

My gosh, such great ideas, all of them. I had no idea about the string of PVC although I have thought about trying a bean bag. And for the MeFOTO tripad I think I'll get one of them just for using around home. Seems really well built and lite. The guy in the video for the multipod takes the cake though. lol. Thanks everyone.

Darrell
6D | 16-35mm f/4 L | 8-15mm Fisheye L | 24-105mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 100-400mm f/4.5 5.6L | Speedlights 430EX III, 600EX II RT & ST-E3-RT transmitter.
Flickr (external link)

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Sitting atop the castle, Edinburgh, Scotland
Mar 11, 2013 08:21 |  #15

The string "tripod" does work as it gives you resistance to work against which helps keep the camera steady.

Also the (refillable) beanbag idea is a good one. A pack of cheap rice or beans bought at the destination and you are good to go (and they can be easily disposed off especially if you chose jelly beans!!!! :D)

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

sponsored links

1,793 views & 0 likes for this thread
Disposable Tripod ?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.