Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 21 Mar 2013 (Thursday) 18:51
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Fotodiox Tripod Collar users, please help

greyswan
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Ontario Canada
Mar 21, 2013 18:51 |  #1

I just purchased a Fotodiox tripod collar for my 70 200 f4L - got it yesterday and it fits perfectly, very well-made piece of kit for the price.

However, the female thread on the base does not fit the male threads on my tripod plate - they appear to be the same diameter, but the thread count is different - my tripod plates (average Slik and Manfrotto) will not thread onto the base of the collar.

I've never used one of these, so I just want to check that this is indeed a defect or am I supposed to buy a different plate screw for this thing?

Thanks a bunch for any help.

Cheers.

Chris
A clean house is a sign that my computer's broken...
gallery:https://ephemerastudio​.smugmug.com/ (external link)
Gear: 50D, 300 f4L, 70-200 f4L, 100 1.28 Macro, nifty fifty.

sponsored links
CanonCameraFan
Goldmember
1,602 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Annapolis Maryland
Mar 21, 2013 21:17 |  #2

As far as I know, the standard is 1/4-20 National Coarse Thread for small format camera gear. No Fine Thread or Metric Version in use in any market I've heard of. The next size up is 3/8-16 for Medium Format Camera gear. My Fotodiox Tripod Mount (for 70-300L) seems fine. Haven't put it to use yet, but did thread it on.

Can you post a good picture of the thread and a male thread beside it for comparison. A Fine Thread 1/4"diameter would be 28 threads per inch. I have read of somebody having a tight fit on a tripod mount (not necessarily a Fotodiox unit though).

EOS 7D w/BG-E7 (3), 550EX (3), 430EX II, Vivitar 285HV, Opteka 6.5mm/3.5, Canon EF-S 10-18/4.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon EF-S 24/2.8 STM, Canon EF 40/2.8 STM, Canon EF 100mm/2.0 USM, Canon EF 70-300mm/4-5.6 L IS USM, Canon 77mm 500D Macro, Tamrac 614 Bag & 787 Backpack, Crumpler 8 MDH, 7 MDH, 6 MDH
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/johnebersole/se​ts/ (external link)

greyswan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Ontario Canada
Mar 22, 2013 19:30 |  #3

Thanks Fan: I'll try to get a picture. I may have to return it anyway.

Re; the tight fit, that's not the problem: the thread simply won't 'thread' into the female part at all, although on first glance it looks like it will.

Otherwise the darn thing fits beautfully on the lens.

Cheers.

Chris

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009
SoCal
Mar 22, 2013 19:36 |  #4

Do the threads look clean? It could be paint, powder coating, or even metal shavings obstructing it.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

greyswan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Ontario Canada
Mar 23, 2013 20:13 |  #5

Hi Kir.b -
The threads look as they should, clean well-turned metal, definitely not anything wrong with them. A nicely manufactured piece of kit, except for the thread issue.I got the RMI today so will be sending it back, hopefully for a replacement.

Cheers.

Chris

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009
SoCal
Mar 23, 2013 20:18 |  #6

greyswan wrote in post #15748121external link
Hi Kir.b -
The threads look as they should, clean well-turned metal, definitely not anything wrong with them. A nicely manufactured piece of kit, except for the thread issue.I got the RMI today so will be sending it back, hopefully for a replacement.

Cheers.

That's weird. You verified that there's nothing wrong with the screw/bolt as well. You should be able to just screw it into the bottom of your camera for a quick test.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,657 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
East Central IL
Mar 23, 2013 23:17 as a reply to klr.b's post |  #7

I have a Fotodiox Tripod Collar for my 70-300L. When I was using my Manfrotto QR plate, it screwed in fine. Now I've switched to Arca plates, but they all seem to use the same screw.

My issue with the tripod collar is that the tightening nut refuses to stay tight. It's a damn shame Canon won't get off their butts and make more of their outrageously priced tripod collars. At least they would stay put.

Mark J.
Gear

sponsored links

1,364 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fotodiox Tripod Collar users, please help
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.