Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 13 Jan 2006 (Friday) 23:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Monitor question???

Mac
274 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 13, 2006 23:28 |  #1

I am in search of a new monitor. I am leaning towards the Dell 20 or 24 in. LCD displays. But I am wondering what perspective I should go for. I can go for the 20 in standard and get the 1600x1200, or go for the cinema display and get 1600x1050. Which would you prefer, and why? Something of note is that right now I only have space for one monitor, but there may be a time in the future where a second could be used. Also, I do not watch movies on my computer, but occasionally game a bit...but it is primarily used for Editing. Thanks for any input...:D

Sean
www.akamac.com (external link)

sponsored links
vjack
Goldmember
1,602 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 14, 2006 06:52 |  #2

I think the Dell Ultrasharp line is a good choice. They always do well in comparative reviews. The regular vs. wide is a personal choice that you'll have to make. I'd probably get a regular one unless I was planning to watch DVDs with it. The wide ones probably cost a bit more, and I can't imagine it would be worthwhile for general use.

Canon 20D
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Sigma 18-125mm f/3.5-5.6 DC
Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L

Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6
L IS
Canon Speedlite 430EX
Manfrotto 3021BPRO; Kirk BH-1 ballhead
Canon Pixma 4200
< see my gallery (external link) >

DavidW
Goldmember
3,165 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 14, 2006 09:21 |  #3

I have a Dell 2005FPW here. At 1680 x 1050 (the native resolution), I can get a two page A4 spread on screen in InDesign CS2 at 100% and still have room for some palettes down the side of the screen. With Photoshop CS2, I can surround my picture with palettes and have more room to work.

I'd say that wide is the way to go - the more desktop "real estate", the better. Do make sure that your graphics card can cope with driving your chosen monitor in DVI mode, though - falling back to VGA will compromise the output.

David

Jack ­ W.
841 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Jan 14, 2006 16:56 |  #4

Last night I received my 2 new Dell Ultra Sharps; a 20" for the main, and a 19" for a secondary. These replaced 2 CRT's.
I prefer 4:3.
I have them both running on analogue. I've read a number of posts from users who say they don't see a difference between VGA and DVI; I haven't tried DVI so I can't say. I prefer analogue because on DVI you lose the ability to make certain adjustments.
They both look great running at 1152x864. My wife also has the 19", set at 1024x768 on analogue. It also looks great.
Jack

20D, 30D, 500f/4L IS, 300f/4L IS, 300f/2.8L IS, Canon 1.4TC, Canon 2xTC, 70-300IS, 17-85IS, EFS 10-22, Sigma 150 Macro, 3021PRO, RRS BH-40LR, Gitzo 1325, full Wimberley Head v2, Wimberley Sidekick, and a bunch of other stuff. :-)

DavidW
Goldmember
3,165 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 14, 2006 17:10 |  #5

You should always run a LCD at its native resolution - anything else, and it's going to look very blurry. Unlike a CRT, an LCD screen is made up of a set number of pixels, and you should send it that number of pixels. The 19" screens will be 1280 x 1024, the 20", if it's the widescreen, is 1680 x 1050.

Once you're at the native resolution, if you look critically at high contrast edges of the image, you'll probably find them slightly blurred or haloed in VGA mode - switching to DVI will get rid of all that.

Finally, if you're using Windows XP, consider turning ClearType on.

The adjustments that disappear if you use DVI aren't relevant in DVI mode, as you're inputting a digital signal direct into the panel's electronics, rather than reconstituting a digital signal from one that's been converted to analog.

The monitor knows how to centre a DVI signal without needing you to help it with positioning, and there's no need for pixel clock, phase and sharpness settings either, as there's no need to reconstruct the signal timing from signals designed to drive the flyback of a CRT monitor. The final setting that disappears in DVI mode on a Dell 2005FPW is contrast - again, that's only relevant when turning an analog signal back into an input for the panel; DVI transmits a digital level for each pixel direct from the video card.

David

Ronald ­ S. ­ Jr.
Prodigal "Brick" Layer
16,478 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 14, 2006 17:15 |  #6

Here's a question- What size monitor would you need to view a RAW file in its entirety, without being "zoomed out"? Are there any that would do it at a reasonable quality?

Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at theirs.

DavidW
Goldmember
3,165 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 14, 2006 17:21 |  #7

It depends which camera you're talking about, but larger than the new Dell 30 inch LCD for the 20D. The 20D is 3504 x 2336, the Dell 3007FPW is 2560 x 1600.

David

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jan 14, 2006 17:21 as a reply to  @ Ronald S. Jr.'s post |  #8

Ronald S. Jr. wrote:
Here's a question- What size monitor would you need to view a RAW file in its entirety, without being "zoomed out"? Are there any that would do it at a reasonable quality?

At 96 ppi dot pitch, about a 52" display if it had a 3:2 aspect ratio. About 36" by 24".

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Ronald ­ S. ­ Jr.
Prodigal "Brick" Layer
16,478 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 14, 2006 17:24 |  #9

so my 57" should do it. :lol:

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jan 14, 2006 17:29 |  #10

Is it at least 24" vertical and 36" horizontal? If it's a different aspect ratio, it may be a bit off.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Ronald ­ S. ­ Jr.
Prodigal "Brick" Layer
16,478 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 14, 2006 17:34 |  #11

Oh yeah...bigger. It's a Sony 57" HDTV.

As far as the display size, my video card can set a custom display size. Radeon x850SE HD Hyper Memory.

sponsored links

1,392 views & 0 likes for this thread
Monitor question???
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.