Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th of March 2013 (Mon)   #1
Martin Dixon

Default 580 ex I or II vs Yongnuo yn568ex

Is the yn568ex a way way better deal than a 580ex I or II?

Does it do everything the 580 ex II does?
Small issues with colour balance?
Lack of power port.

I have a 430ex ii and 580EX ii (use as master of short or possibly long cord) and am mulling over getting a (low cost?) 3rd flash for very amateur indoor work (most set-ups seem to need 3 light sources). I am thinking ETTL mainly. Possible experiments with HSS and rear-curtain etc.

I see there are similar threads I could have revived, but I think my query is slightly different to warrant a new topic.
Martin Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 25th of March 2013 (Mon)   #2
Alex_Venom

Default Re: 580 ex I or II vs Yongnuo yn568ex

That depends on your needs.
The 568 is a great unit for the price. It does ALMOST everything the 580EXII do, but not everything.

It is built cheaper, you get no weather sealing, no power port and you never know the compatibility with future bodies.
That said, everything else is pretty good and for the price of one 580EX II you can get almost 3 568's. so thats your call:

Do you need (and are willing to pay extra for) the better build, probably longer lifespan, weather sealing and power port of the 568EX II?

I have both units and if I would start again, I'd get more 568's and no 580. But that's me.

"Nobody can buy a scalpel and become a doctor, but anyone can buy a camera and become a photographer."
Alex_Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of March 2013 (Mon)   #3
gremlin75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Dixon View Post
Does it do everything the 580 ex II does?
No. The yn568ex is less powerful, does not have a master function, does not have a distance scale, does not have an external battery port, and is not weather sealed (that's all I can think off off the to of my head)

With that said the yn568ex is a good flash. Is it equal to the 580ex II? No, it's actually closer to the 430ex II (with a tiny bit more power).

As long as you won't miss the things it doesn't have then it's a good alternative, but not a direct alternitive.
gremlin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 25th of March 2013 (Mon)   #4
Alex_Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin75 View Post
No. The yn568ex is less powerful, does not have a master function, does not have a distance scale, does not have an external battery port, and is not weather sealed (that's all I can think off off the to of my head)

With that said the yn568ex is a good flash. Is it equal to the 580ex II? No, it's actually closer to the 430ex II (with a tiny bit more power).

As long as you won't miss the things it doesn't have then it's a good alternative, but not a direct alternitive.
Curious.
My experiments with the 568 against my 580 showed the 568 a bit more powerful than the 580!
Calibration perhaps?

"Nobody can buy a scalpel and become a doctor, but anyone can buy a camera and become a photographer."
Old 25th of March 2013 (Mon)   #5
gremlin75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Venom View Post
Curious.
My experiments with the 568 against my 580 showed the 568 a bit more powerful than the 580!
Calibration perhaps?
From what I've been told the 568ex has the same output as the 565ex and the 565ex tested at a lower power output then the 580exII

http://speedlights.net/2011/08/28/yo...Number-Testing

If the 568ex does have a higer output then the 565ex and 580ex II then awesome, the 568ex is the flash I use. Like I said, I've only been told the 565ex and 568ex have the same output, I do not have a meter to test them myself.
Old 25th of March 2013 (Mon)   #6
Alex_Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin75 View Post
From what I've been told the 568ex has the same output as the 565ex and the 565ex tested at a lower power output then the 580exII

http://speedlights.net/2011/08/28/yo...Number-Testing

If the 568ex does have a higer output then the 565ex and 580ex II then awesome, the 568ex is the flash I use. Like I said, I've only been told the 565ex and 568ex have the same output, I do not have a meter to test them myself.
Well, I didnīt do a much scientific testing myself. Just put both on 1/1 and shot a very dark subject with the same configuration in camera. The 568 appeared brighter but that is all....
Think I might do a better test after reading your link!

Old 25th of March 2013 (Mon)   #7
gremlin75

Quote:
If you do please post it up. I'd be curious to see if the 568ex is more powerful then the 565ex and 580ex II
Old 26th of March 2013 (Tue)   #8
Martin Dixon

Gide numbers both 58m - same?!
Old 26th of March 2013 (Tue)   #9
Pupu

Actual test GN numbers of YN flashes are less compared to their official specs. There is a discussion thread in flickr on YN565 / YN 568 power vs Canon 580. From the discussion, it seems both these YN flashes are comparable to Canon 430. 58m for YN flashes are misguiding.

Note: I dont have either of these flashes, I'm saying based on numerous post on internet on this topic.
Old 26th of March 2013 (Tue)   #10
gremlin75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Dixon View Post
Gide numbers both 58m - same?!
Company's tend to over state their guide numbers. Click on the link I posted earlier so see actual tested GN and meter readings (though the 568ex has not been tested or reviewed by that site yet)
Old 26th of March 2013 (Tue)   #11
watt100
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Well, I didnīt do a much scientific testing myself. Just put both on 1/1 and shot a very dark subject with the same configuration in camera. The 568 appeared brighter but that is all....
if you have a smart phone get one of those light meter apps (free!) and measure the lux or foot candles or whatever

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ghtMeter&hl=en
watt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of March 2013 (Wed)   #12
PUREBRAD

Just my two cents...Unless you are very highly experienced with your current flashes to the point where you can notice the very subtle differences in power between them, then you are not going to notice much (if any) power difference with the 565 / 568 Yongnuo units.

This is why there are some many conflicting responses here... The power output is similar in strength.

For purposes of intent, the flashes produce "around" the same power and the differences between them are most likely to be noticed only by those who have very critical eyes. For the other 95% of us, the power will seem the same.
Old 5th of July 2013 (Fri)   #13
Martin Dixon

Got my YN568EX and I'm impressed so far. To check the colour and max power output I took these tests - looks like there is a detectible blue tinge to the Yongnuo, but I don't believe this is noticeable. It is less powerful than the 580 EX II- pretty close to 2/3 stop (ie putting max power - 2/3 on 580EX II is close to the YN of full.

This is ETTL mode - as expected the balance seems fine: