Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th of March 2013 (Wed)   #1
spookyspike

Default Flash Set up

Hi guys, im looking at getting my first flash set up. After reading lots of things on here im thinking I will save some money whilst I learn to use it and go with Yongnuo kit.

I think what id like to do is use ETTL to be able to fire two or more flashes. What out of this kit do you think or would recommend me getting. It will mostly be used for portraits and smaller group shots.

Yongnuo YN-622C

2 x Yongnuo YN468 II

or

2 x Yongnuo YN565EX

or a combo of YN468ii and YN656EX

If I got a 3rd flash would I need the triggers? If someone could help me out a bit that would be great. Reading the ebay sites (in the UK) and the broken English is a bit hard to follow.
Camera is a 5D mk11 and very new to flash work as ive mostly used the sun and reflectors to now.

Thank you.
spookyspike is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 27th of March 2013 (Wed)   #2
ksbal

Default Re: Flash Set up

For the YN-622 triggers, you need one for the camera hotshoe (to send the camera signal), and one for each flash (to recieve the signal and tell the flash what to do).. so 3 would be needed.

I think there are differences in the YN flashes on what has slave wireless ettl (you need a master flash) vs what can be used with the 622 triggers for wireless ettl thru radio signal. I'm pretty sure anything with ex in the name will work with the 622 triggers. - or not..

Please see inkista's post below for much better info.

Last edited by ksbal : 27th of March 2013 (Wed) at 22:18.
ksbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of March 2013 (Wed)   #3
oldvultureface
Goldmember

Both the 468 II and 565EX are E-TTL compatible with the 622 transceivers. As ksbal stated, you need one 622 for the camera and one 622 for each remote flash.
oldvultureface is online now   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 27th of March 2013 (Wed)   #4
spookyspike

Ah right ok, when it talks about using them as master and slave etc, does that not mean you can use one to fire the others? Sorry if im being really dumb... first time newbie at off camera flash!
Old 27th of March 2013 (Wed)   #5
oldvultureface
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookyspike View Post
Ah right ok, when it talks about using them as master and slave etc, does that not mean you can use one to fire the others? Sorry if im being really dumb... first time newbie at off camera flash!
Referring to the 622 units, they swing both ways. When mounted in the hotshoe, the 622 "knows" it's the transmitter and provides the camera with an appropriate flash menu. When attached to a remote flash, it becomes a receiver, takes mode and power instructions from the transmitter, and syncs the flash.
oldvultureface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of March 2013 (Wed)   #6
spookyspike

Ah no sorry, I'd got that bit regarding the transmitters/recievers. I meant the flashes them selves when they refer to them as master and slave. Sorry my bad for not being clear.
Old 27th of March 2013 (Wed)   #7
inkista

Master/slave generally refers to the Canon proprietary wireless system. And yes, some units are slave-only and cannot "master" others. The master units in the Canon wireless light-based system are:
  • pop-up flash in the T3i/T4i/T5i/60D/7D/1DX
  • ST-E2 (or Yongnuo clone of same)
  • 90EX
  • 600EX-RT
  • 580EXII
  • 580EX
  • 550EX
You can use all the EX units as slaves but the 270EX, 320EX, 430EX, and 430EXII are slave-only and cannot master.

With the Canon radio wireless system, you can master with either a 600EX-RT or an ST-E3-RT. But the ST-E3-RT has no head/lamp, so it can't be used as a slave.

None of the Yongnuo speedlights do the Canon radio wireless, and none of them are masters in the light-based system. And only four of them can be used as slaves in the Canon light-based wireless system: the YN-560EX (aka YN-600EX), YN-565EX, YN-568EX, and the upcoming YN-500EX. And only the last three can be used with the YN-622c triggers and retain all TTL function (the YN-560EX/600EX has a manual hotshoe, and only does TTL through the sensor panel).

However, since you're using a 5DMkII, most of this probably means nothing to you, because you'd have to buy an additional master unit to use on the hotshoe to have a master at all. And the cheapest of these (Yongnuo ST-E2 clone) is already more expensive and has fewer features than going with the YN-622c triggers and menu-commandable flashes.

Last edited by inkista : 27th of March 2013 (Wed) at 17:21.
inkista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of March 2013 (Wed)   #8
spookyspike

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkista View Post
Master/slave generally refers to the Canon proprietary wireless system. And yes, some units are slave-only and cannot "master" others. The master units in the Canon wireless light-based system are:
  • pop-up flash in the T3i/T4i/T5i/60D/7D/1DX
  • ST-E2 (or Yongnuo clone of same)
  • 90EX
  • 600EX-RT
  • 580EXII
  • 580EX
  • 550EX
You can use all the EX units as slaves but the 270EX, 320EX, 430EX, and 430EXII are slave-only and cannot master.

With the Canon radio wireless system, you can master with either a 600EX-RT or an ST-E3-RT. But the ST-E3-RT has no head/lamp, so it can't be used as a slave.

None of the Yongnuo speedlights do the Canon radio wireless, and none of them are masters in the light-based system. And only four of them can be used as slaves in the Canon light-based wireless system: the YN-560EX (aka YN-600EX), YN-565EX, YN-568EX, and the upcoming YN-500EX. And only the last three can be used with the YN-622c triggers and retain all TTL function (the YN-560EX/600EX has a manual hotshoe, and only does TTL through the sensor panel).

However, since you're using a 5DMkII, most of this probably means nothing to you, because you'd have to buy an additional master unit to use on the hotshoe to have a master at all. And the cheapest of these (Yongnuo ST-E2 clone) is already more expensive and has fewer features than going with the YN-622c triggers and menu-commandable flashes.
Perfect reply, thank you for the help. So basically I need 3 yn-622c triggers and two of the ETTL compatible flashes. Thanks all for the help.
Old 29th of March 2013 (Fri)   #9
inkista

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookyspike View Post
Perfect reply, thank you for the help. So basically I need 3 yn-622c triggers and two of the ETTL compatible flashes. Thanks all for the help.
Yup. However, don't go for the YN-560EX/YN-600EX if you're going to use the YN-622c triggers. While it can do TTL stuff via the light-based sensor, the hotshoe is manual only, and the YN-622c triggers use a hotshoe to communicate everything.

You can tell if a flash foot is manual-only by the number of pins it has. Manual only flashes have only a single pin (sync signal in the center of the foot). A TTL flash foot has to have all five of the Canon pins.

OTOH, there are some manual-only triggers that have all five hotshoe contacts. The RF-602 and RF-603 triggers, for example, have some TTL contacts but are not TTL triggers. They use the additional contacts to auto-set transmitter/receiver mode, and sending the flash wake-up signal. But they don't communicate eTTL-II, HSS, 2nd curtain, etc. etc.

Last edited by inkista : 29th of March 2013 (Fri) at 11:59.
inkista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of April 2013 (Tue)   #10
spookyspike

Have a random question.. I ordered one of the Yongnuo Speedlite YN-468 II E-TTL II to give it a go, I'm waiting for it to arrive... However I noticed in the small print it says this isn't suitable for 5D or 5D111. I have a 5D11... Do they work ok with a 5D11??

Thank you.
Old 3rd of April 2013 (Wed)   #11
spookyspike

Anyone anythoughts on the compatabilty between the 5D11 and the YN-468II? Sorry to mither but i'll not bother opening it if its not going to work.