Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 01 Apr 2013 (Monday) 09:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cleaning inside of kit lens

SmokeySiFy
463 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 01, 2013 09:29 |  #1

Hi, I have always been fairly comfortable taking apart devices and putting them back together. Is it within the skills of a good technician to clean the inside of a lens himself?

I am especially interested in deep cleaning the 18-55 kit lens.

500px Gallery (external link) -- Critique is OK: Feel free to critique any image I post
ChrisMeierPhotograpghy​.com (external link)

sponsored links
tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 01, 2013 10:20 |  #2

No, for two reasons:

1) The internal dust has very, very low odds of actually impacting photographs
2) You may add even MORE dust by exposing it to the open air in the typical home.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,797 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 01, 2013 12:51 |  #3

there's no point, unless you've got fungus, or something drastic to clean...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 01, 2013 13:11 |  #4

There are few things more annoying than opening up a lens, cleaning the internal glass, putting it back together and then finding that the cleaner left a haze on the elements. :(
Honestly, it's not worth the effort.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

oklaiss
471 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 01, 2013 13:51 |  #5

tkbslc wrote in post #15778600 (external link)
No, for two reasons:

1) The internal dust has very, very low odds of actually impacting photographs
2) You may add even MORE dust by exposing it to the open air in the typical home.

This is all that needs to be said. Don't bother unless you don't plan on using the lens ever again.

5D Mark II Gripped, 60D Gripped, 450D, 24-105 f/4L, 85 1.8, 70-200 f/4L IS, Nifty Fifty, 28 1.8, B+W/Lee/Cokin/Hitech filters, 430ex II x2
Flickr (external link)

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
22,939 posts
Gallery: 176 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 01, 2013 14:56 as a reply to  @ oklaiss's post |  #6

Not saying you should or shouldn't, but here's a thread on the topic, with a couple "how to" videos.

I'm considering it on my 28-135. I don't think I would on pricier glass. Again, it's on you.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
42,549 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 01, 2013 15:02 |  #7

Dishwasher, top rack, heat dry. I normally throw a cup of vinegar in the bottom as well to combat hard water deposits to leave a spot free shine. It's also important to not over fill the racks with other dishes as you wish to maintain proper water flow.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 01, 2013 15:10 |  #8

Chet wrote in post #15779513 (external link)
Dishwasher, top rack, heat dry. I normally throw a cup of vinegar in the bottom as well to combat hard water deposits to leave a spot free shine. It's also important to not over fill the racks with other dishes as you wish to maintain proper water flow.

Thanks.

Should I leave the caps on or off? And do I use the heated dry cycle?

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

LV ­ Moose
22,939 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 01, 2013 15:13 as a reply to  @ tkbslc's post |  #9

Chet, I wish you'd quit following me around :lol:

(is it something I stepped in?)

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
42,549 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 01, 2013 15:22 |  #10

tkbslc wrote in post #15779547 (external link)
Thanks.

Should I leave the caps on or off? And do I use the heated dry cycle?

Great question, I apologize for the omission. Caps should be removed and placed in the silverware rack/tray. Utilize the heated dry cycle to add in sterilizing and sanitizing the glass and internals.

Important note, if your lens is equipped with IS, make sure it is left in the ON position as it allows the gyros to cycle during washing.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

saintz
428 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 01, 2013 16:09 |  #11

The 28-135 is prone to dust and very easy to clean. Ditto for the 17-55. You just pull out the retaining ring and top optic, shoot some compressed air in to remove the dust, and reassemble. It's a 5 minute job.

I have taken quite a few lenses apart. It's generally not rocket science, but some lenses and some parts of some lenses are very difficult. It's important to know as much about the lens construction before going in and where your problem lies. That should help you ascertain your likelihood of success, failure to fix it, or likelihood of breaking the lens completely.

This is the 18-55? What exactly is wrong with it? This is a cheap lens, so I would probably try it if you can determine exactly what is required.

Sony A6000 | 18-55 | 16-50 | 50 f1.8

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,797 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 01, 2013 16:22 |  #12

^^again though, what's the point? It won't show up in pics

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

LV ­ Moose
22,939 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 01, 2013 17:14 |  #13

DreDaze wrote in post #15779872 (external link)
^^again though, what's the point? It won't show up in pics

Personally, just seeing it in there irritates me. And I'm not normally the OC type. I just expect the inside of a lens to be pristine.

So for me, I guess the point is not to feel irritated. :D

Moose

Aircraft (external link)

saintz
428 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 01, 2013 18:21 |  #14

I have had lenses with enough internal dust or other issues that it does affect pictures. But yes, one or two specs, not really worth bothering. Unless you have OCD, like Moose mentioned, and in that case spend the 5 minutes to clean it (also guilty).

Sony A6000 | 18-55 | 16-50 | 50 f1.8

SmokeySiFy
THREAD ­ STARTER
463 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 01, 2013 23:46 |  #15

LV Moose wrote in post #15779492 (external link)
Not saying you should or shouldn't, but here's a thread on the topic, with a couple "how to" videos.

I'm considering it on my 28-135. I don't think I would on pricier glass. Again, it's on you.

Where is the link?

I just was setting up for some macro action and noticed some dust on the inside surface of the front element of my nifty 250. Big specs that I could see were clearly on the inside. I popped off the sticker ring that covered the screws and then undid all 6 screws and the element popped out. Was cool to see inside. A couple blows from the rocket blower and reassembled. Hopefully it comes out cleaner than before. Looks cleaner now. Note to self, be careful with the screwdrivers around the glass. I nicked it a few times with the screw drivers. Those screws go in tough!.

500px Gallery (external link) -- Critique is OK: Feel free to critique any image I post
ChrisMeierPhotograpghy​.com (external link)

sponsored links

2,891 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cleaning inside of kit lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.