Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 05 Apr 2013 (Friday) 20:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hotel rooms booked for end of April SW trip

Mr. ­ Bill
927 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 05, 2013 20:48 |  #1

Just finished booking my hotel rooms for the southwest trip I am planning towards end of April. Thought I would list where I plan to go and if anyone has any additional places I should shoot.
1. Arrive in Flagstaff - late afternoon
2. Next morning - Go to South rim of Grand Canyon & spend day there then shoot sunset.
3. Next morning go to Sedona
4. Next morning drive to Page, AZ and then hit Horseshoe Bend for afternoon
5. Next day go to Antelope Canyon, will try to hit both Upper & Lower
6. Next day drive to Keyanta & go spend day in Monument Valley
7. Next day?
8. Next day?
9. Drive home

Any other things I should try & shoot?
Appreciate all advice.

Link to my Pictures (external link)

sponsored links
rparchen
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 06, 2013 13:47 |  #2

There are a ton of other locations close to Page that would be worth shooting. Lake Powell, north/south Coyote Buttes (if you can get a permit), White Pocket, Vermillion Cliffs, Waheap, Grand Staircase, Cottonwood Canyon Road, Wukoki ruins near Flagstaff, and probably some cool stuff within Marble Canyon. I'll be in that area in a few weeks and plan to hit those places. Also, keep in mind the road closure just south of Horseshoe Bend along highway 89 creates a bit of a detour in that area.
http://www.azdot.gov/u​s89/ (external link)

Rick - Sony A7R (RIP 6D), Samyang 14, Zeiss 21/35/50, Canon 70-200L
Facebook page for updates (external link)
www.parchenphotography​.com (external link)
IG: @ParchenPhotography

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,056 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 06, 2013 15:56 |  #3

Mr. Bill wrote in post #15795666 (external link)
Just finished booking my hotel rooms for the southwest trip I am planning towards end of April. Thought I would list where I plan to go and if anyone has any additional places I should shoot.
1. Arrive in Flagstaff - late afternoon
2. Next morning - Go to South rim of Grand Canyon & spend day there then shoot sunset.
3. Next morning go to Sedona
4. Next morning drive to Page, AZ and then hit Horseshoe Bend for afternoon
5. Next day go to Antelope Canyon, will try to hit both Upper & Lower
6. Next day drive to Keyanta & go spend day in Monument Valley
7. Next day?
8. Next day?
9. Drive home

Any other things I should try & shoot?
Appreciate all advice.

An entire day in Monument Valley could be a lot, unless you have some tour thing already set up. From there you are very close to Valley of the Gods, it's a nice quiet drive. You aren't that far from Moab either, you could hop up there and look around. I was just at both Grand Canyon and Moab, both were packed with people, ack. The Needles district of Canyonlands is less crowded, if you are up for hiking that is a good place, but unlike Arches or the northern section of Canyonlands, you do need to get out and walk, so only visit if you want to walk around.

Also if you are up for a bit of a walk, take the Kaibab Trail from Yaki Point into the Grand Canyon. I went down to the point called Cedar Ridge, really not a bad walk back out of there, if doing it again, I'd probably drop down a little further. Attached is a photo I snapped while on the way down.

And, as mentioned above, Highway 89 is closed, so you'll be taking a detour. The ranger at Grand Canyon said that is permanent, it will never be re-opened. Will probably make Page a bit less busy.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Flickr (external link)

pudgy_groundhog
Goldmember
1,161 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 09, 2013 09:18 |  #4

I agree about spending more time in Page. Some of my favorite spots are Coyote Buttes South (requires permit and 4x4), Buckskin Gulch, Yellow Rock, and Alstrom Point (requires 4x4 and camping for best light).

- Katherine
pictures from the pudge (external link)

PapaGary
514 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 09, 2013 10:35 |  #5

A whole day at the Grand Canyon? Wow.

We spent five days.

There will be lots of people there attempting to take sunset pictures. You will have to walk quite a bit to avoid crowds but it will be worth it.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 09, 2013 10:42 |  #6

It's not a "little bit of a detour."

Just got back from Page yesterday and on the way up, my GPS arrival time jumped an extra 50 minutes thanks to that "little detour." I was very glad I got gas in Flag. Had I trusted the normal route and bypassed getting gas, I'd probably still be sitting by the side of AZ 98.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

iamjediknight
183 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 17, 2013 21:33 as a reply to  @ FlyingPhotog's post |  #7

Although they have the nice red rock I find Sedona too touristy. I would give up Sedona and spent more time at the Grand Canyon. Try to fit Page, AZ for at least Horeshoe Bend. Page is an area where you could 3-4 days if you had the time.

gear: 5D MK III, 17-40L f/4, 24-70L f/4, 50 f/1.2L, 70-200L f/4 IS,85L 1.2, 100 f/2.8 macro

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,620 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Apr 17, 2013 21:38 |  #8

I'd add a half/day or night of free camping (love BLM land!) at valley of the gods, just north of monument valley. I actually like this area much more than monument valley especially since its usually deserted, compared to MV which is a tourist trap galore.

Year of Night - 365 Night Project - check it out! (external link)

Follow me into the night.
Unique Night Photography - twilightscapes.com (external link)

sparker1
Cream of the Crop
29,187 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 20, 2013 11:35 |  #9

Too much for the time you have. A week (plus drive time) should be allowed for each of the three areas: 1. Sedona, Flagstaff & Grand Canyon; 2. Page area; and, 3. Monument Valley and areas north toward Moab.

Near Page, in addition to places mentioned, consider Wire Pass to Buckskin Gulch in lieu of those areas where permits are required (unless you can get permits, of course). Cathedral Wash is another good adventure and Stud Horse Point is worthwhile. The detour on Route 160 takes you close to Coal Mine Canyon, definitely worth a stop.

Stan (See my gallery at http://www.pbase.com/s​parker1 (external link))

7D, 50D, 300D, EF-S 10-22 mm, EF-S 18-55 mm kit lens, EF 24-105 L IS, EF 50 mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500mm (Bigmos)

sponsored links

920 views & 0 likes for this thread
Hotel rooms booked for end of April SW trip
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.