Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > The Business of Photography
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th of April 2013 (Mon)   #16
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me

Default Re: Sears & Walmart Portrait Studio closed down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssim View Post
According to a couple of postings that I have read their operations in Canada will continue for the time being. This appears to be nothing more than a bankruptcy based on poor management. Just because this company has closed down the operations doesn't mean that they will not lease that space to someone else to provide the same services. I can see how retailers like these types of operations. There is little risk to the retailer, they get rental revenue from the space and most importantly it gets people into the retailers store where they hope they will spend money on things other than photography services.
Our Wal-Mart portrait studio is now a pretzel shop. Or a salon. I forget which hole in the wall they used to have. I'm actually a little saddened by this. I don't know where to tell annoying cheap people to go anymore.

Last edited by cdifoto : 8th of April 2013 (Mon) at 21:24.
cdifoto is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of April 2013 (Mon)   #17
Curtis N
Master Flasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdifoto View Post
Our Wal-Mart portrait studio is now a pretzel shop. Or a salon. I forget which hole in the wall they used to have. I'm actually a little saddened by this. I don't know where to tell annoying cheap people to go anymore.
I'm thinking that would work as your signature line for awhile.
Curtis N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of April 2013 (Mon)   #18
ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdifoto View Post
I don't know where to tell annoying cheap people to go anymore.
Somehow I think you will be able to find a way to tell those cheap people where "to go".

Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery | My Gear updated: 20JUL12
ssim is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of April 2013 (Mon)   #19
icacphotography

I find this hilarious as funny thing is over Christmas my ex wanted to take our son (who's only about 6 months old at the time and lives with me to this day) for Christmas pictures at Walmart. Knowing full well I own a DSLR and a wackload of lenses along with flashes, backdrops etc. Funny thing is I saw these pictures taken by the "professional" photographers at the studio and was kind of sad at how bad most of them were. Cute poses but horribly harsh lighting and really blah colours in the photos. I was able to set up basically the same poses at home and light them myself along with doing some PP and they were FAR better. Deciding to be nice I gave a few to my ex to have at her house boy was she pissed that she spent the money getting "professional" photos done lol. Good riddance to Sears and Walmart portrait studios. With that said I feel for the guys that do still own their own independent studios as they'll deal with all the ridiculous idiotic people that were too cheap to come to them before.
The camera is just a tool - it is not responsible for the picture.
icacphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of April 2013 (Mon)   #20
tayl0124

Interesting to find out that Walmart and Sears photo studios were ran by the same place. We like Sears, but wouldn't go to walmart after comparing the two. Part of their problem as well as actually pro photographers is that everyone with a dslr thinks they can take great portraits. Sure they (dslr amatures) are good for certain occasions, but there are times when a real professional is needed.
tayl0124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of April 2013 (Mon)   #21
ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005

I think it is sad that many sit on the sidelines and cheer the demise of these operations. They served a market segment that most of us wouldn't touch. The unfortuneate part is that there are alot of people that have lost their jobs in this event and are probably owed back wages as well. That is nothing to cheer about for me.

I've had plenty of people call me and price shop comparing my prices against those that are offered by these kind of shops. Couldn't and wouldn't even consider coming close to their pricing. One person that worked there also belonged to a local camera club. The only creativity extended to them is in the posing. They are told what settings to use on the cameras and lights. It is all laid out in a manual for them. So to surmise that these are professional photographers is somewhat of a stretch and I never heard this person ever call himself a pro. He was young and looking for a job and found this one. His personal camera was a mid-range point and shoot.

Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery | My Gear updated: 20JUL12
ssim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of April 2013 (Tue)   #22
Hogloff
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssim View Post
I think it is sad that many sit on the sidelines and cheer the demise of these operations. They served a market segment that most of us wouldn't touch. The unfortuneate part is that there are alot of people that have lost their jobs in this event and are probably owed back wages as well. That is nothing to cheer about for me.

I've had plenty of people call me and price shop comparing my prices against those that are offered by these kind of shops. Couldn't and wouldn't even consider coming close to their pricing. One person that worked there also belonged to a local camera club. The only creativity extended to them is in the posing. They are told what settings to use on the cameras and lights. It is all laid out in a manual for them. So to surmise that these are professional photographers is somewhat of a stretch and I never heard this person ever call himself a pro. He was young and looking for a job and found this one. His personal camera was a mid-range point and shoot.
I totally agree with your post. I find this unprofessional to say the least. I always read on this professional forum that bottom feeders are not their competition...then why be so excited and cheering the demise of these so called bottom feeder. Makes me question the professionalism of this industry at times.
Hogloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of April 2013 (Tue)   #23
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me

Indeed. The CPI employee was no more professional photographer than a McDonald's burger flipper is a chef. It was part time work at low pay that anyone could get.

I never lost a customer to CPI. People chose CPI instead of me because it was what they could afford and I told them to go there since their needs were so basic, my minimum fee would make them feel like they're getting ripped off and the results would be no different. The people who choose me would never have gone to CPI because they want something more.

Am I glad they're gone? I don't feel bad about it because I'm not a bleeding heart, but at the same time I'm not excited. It's not as though I'm suddenly going to get a mass influx of new customers. We weren't compatible then, and we're not compatible now.
Old 9th of April 2013 (Tue)   #24
nathancarter
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatterbrained View Post
I don't think the cameras would be of interest to anyone, but the one near me uses autopoles with camera extension (and a box that locks the camera from being touched by the operator ) and they have ceiling tracks for lights as well as wall mount background poles that could be useful.
Agreed. They should have a fair amount of grip gear, props, and backdrops. Sometimes you need a simple boring gray or mottled-blue backdrop.
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of April 2013 (Tue)   #25
GerryDavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatterbrained View Post
I'm waiting for the liquidation sale. . . . . . .
Anyone know what kind of camera they were using? Im a bit surprised they have closed, there is always people there and they make a killing at Christmas. But im sure the rent to walmart is pretty expensive.

I thought walmart portrait studio was going to enter the wedding photography business?
Old 9th of April 2013 (Tue)   #26
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryDavid View Post
Anyone know what kind of camera they were using? Im a bit surprised they have closed, there is always people there and they make a killing at Christmas. But im sure the rent to walmart is pretty expensive.

I thought walmart portrait studio was going to enter the wedding photography business?
They don't make a killing at Christmas. They get people in on the $9.99 for one sheet and no sitting fee special. Being busy isn't the same as being profitable.

And then of course there's the rest of the year when the place is virtually dead but they still have overhead.
Old 9th of April 2013 (Tue)   #27
GerryDavid

I know people that worked for walmart portrait studio, well I did 8 years ago. At Christmas they would have 4 people booked every hour, and most would spend a bit over $100. The $10 deal was to get them in there but that was only of one pose, if they wanted any of the other 6 saved poses *yes only 6* they had to spend more money. So the company would make $400 an hour for 10 or 12 hours a day seven days a week, paying only min wage employees. Once in a while a customer would spend $400 on their 6 poses.

Not very much by our indipendant studio prices, but considering they weren't doing that much work themselves it wasn't that bad.
Old 9th of April 2013 (Tue)   #28
Calicajun
Goldmember

Sad to see any photography studio have to close down. Then again I found it sad when photographers stopped coming to your house and the photographer with the little pony and cowboy/cowgirl clothes stopped coming door to door. No, I won't show you the pictures of me on that little horse.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of April 2013 (Tue)   #29
Holster

Although Im not for people loosing their jobs but Most of these studios around my area Hire people without any photography knowledge. They've had adds on craigslist forever saying "no experience necessary, Will train you on the job" It makes sense why they had to offer deals to get people in the door. The median photographer there was sub par skill level and probably a high school student.

Like I said I dont like the idea of people out of work but I am VERY VERY VERY happy to see a big business giant remove itself from our industry. It means there will be more people calling their local independent photographer. Creating more local business! yay!
Canon 5D mkII | 35mm f1.4L | 70-200mm f4L | 24-70mm f2.8L | Sigma 85mm f1.4 | 430EX II | Crappy Tripod
Holster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of April 2013 (Tue)   #30
drvnbysound
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogloff View Post
I totally agree with your post. I find this unprofessional to say the least. I always read on this professional forum that bottom feeders are not their competition...then why be so excited and cheering the demise of these so called bottom feeder. Makes me question the professionalism of this industry at times.
I didn't realize this was a professional forum

What I read [on the main site page] is that this is a... "Discussion and photo sharing Forum for all Canon digital camera enthusiasts."

In which case, we really should boot all these Nikonians out of here!
drvnbysound is online now   Reply With Quote