ETTL-2 not working on 580ex ii, while ETTL is.

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 10 Apr 2013 (Wednesday) 11:22   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

matti0006
Mostly Lurking
Joined Apr 2013
19 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I bought a new 580ex ii flash for my canon 60D today and I cannot get the ETTL-2 to work.
When I shoot the same picture with three different metering modes this is what I get:
I shot all pictures in "P" mode, while having reset all flash settings, "P" gave me 1/60 and f/5 for every shot. No added exposure to any of the images. I remounted the flash already and cleaned the hotshoe but to no avail.

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/zpfRIK7.jpg?1
The above picture was made using ETTL-2.
IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/Vfifbt6.jpg?1
The above picture was made using ETTL.
IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/6Cesv08.jpg?1
This last picture was made using External Metering: Auto.

It seems weird to me that the ETTL mode is working properly while the ETTL-2 mode is not. The flash DID FIRE on all three shots, the exposure is just completely wrong, even Flash Exposure Compensation +3 did absolutely nothing to help.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Post #1, Apr 10, 2013 11:22:00

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
PacAce
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2003
26,804 posts
ABE, PA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

What do you mean by ETTL and ETTL-2. There is no way to select between those two because ETTL/ETTL-2 is set via the camera body (it's one or the other and not selectable), not the flash. Did you mean TTL vs ETTL?

Post #2, Apr 10, 2013 12:23:06

...Leo

matti0006
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Apr 2013
19 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I meant TTL and ETTL-2. Original post updated. Sorry for the confusion.

Post #3, Apr 10, 2013 12:54:39

umphotography
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2007
8,305 posts
minnesota
[MORE/SHARE]

matti0006 wrote in post #15812190external link
I meant TTL and ETTL-2. Original post updated. Sorry for the confusion.

You had a bad contact,, there is no TTL that i know of.

Post #4, Apr 10, 2013 13:01:07

Mike
www.umphotography.comexternal link
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

JCH77Yanks
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2007
1,287 posts
BKNY
[MORE/SHARE]

Just a question... is the picture frame made of aluminum or any other reflective material?

Post #5, Apr 10, 2013 13:01:44 as a reply to matti0006's post 7 minutes earlier.

Joe Halliday
7D | XT | 10-22 | 24-105 f/4L | 28 1.8 | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 580EXII | 430EXII | 430EX | Flickrexternal link| 500pxexternal link |
Dial "M" for Manual.

sponsored links
matti0006
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Apr 2013
19 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

The frame is made out of aluminum, but it seems like the reflection had nothing to do with this, the picture was just for clarity. Even if I aim the camera on a piece of grey wall, the E-TTL II gives me an almost black picture, while TTL and External Metering: Auto give a good picture.

Post #6, Apr 10, 2013 13:27:40 as a reply to JCH77Yanks's post 25 minutes earlier.

matti0006
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Apr 2013
19 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

umphotography wrote in post #15812207external link
You had a bad contact,, there is no TTL that i know of.

What do you mean? In the C.Fn settings of the flash I can choose E-TTL II, TTL, External Metering: Auto and External Metering: Manual.

Post #7, Apr 10, 2013 13:29:34

gonzogolf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2006
26,357 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Usually TTL mode results from bad contact and is essentially a full flash firing. Try shooting something other than a white wall to see what results you get. Edit. Just read that you are selecting TTL in the custom settings? Why?

Post #8, Apr 10, 2013 13:31:36

matti0006
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Apr 2013
19 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

gonzogolf wrote in post #15812336external link
Usually TTL mode results from bad contact and is essentially a full flash firing. Try shooting something other than a white wall to see what results you get. Edit. Just read that you are selecting TTL in the custom settings? Why?

I don't really know much about external flashing; the 580ex ii is my first one. I just found that the E-TTL II didn't give me the correct amount of light so I checked whether anything changed when I changed some settinga; TTL did better. Although External Metering: Auto seems to do even better in general circumstances.

Post #9, Apr 10, 2013 13:44:52

matti0006
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Apr 2013
19 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I've been shooting some more and noticed the following:
If I shoot with E-TTL II in a reasonably dark environment on manual with f/8, 1/250 and iso 100 I get a black image.
If I shoot with the same settings on either TTL or External Metering: Auto, the image is correctly exposed.
If I manually set the flash to its minimum output power (1/128) the image is correctly exposed as well.
Why does the E-TTL II measurement not choose these settings?

I mist confess I know very little about flash photography, but it seems like this should not happen.

Post #10, Apr 10, 2013 15:05:27 as a reply to matti0006's post 1 hour earlier.

drvnbysound
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2009
3,255 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Are you actually shooting with manual camera settings?

The reason I ask is that your original post states the following, "I shot all pictures in "P" mode"

Post #11, Apr 10, 2013 15:30:22

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

sponsored links
gonzogolf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2006
26,357 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Its hard to say as what you are describing doesnt fit my experience so its hard to imagine what might be going wrong. BTW you dont have to keep adding II to ETTL, unless we were having a film camera discussion. Have you tried shooting things other than a white wall with a shiny frame and glass subject? What occurs to me is that something is fooling the flashes metering system. TTL mode is essentially a full power shot.

Post #12, Apr 10, 2013 15:35:01

drvnbysound
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2009
3,255 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Yeah, I've got a 50D and a couple of 580EXIIs... and I am able to get good results using manual camera settings along with the ETTL setting on the flash.

I have not looked at the C.Fn setting that you mention above. The only setting(s) that I've changed were regarding the sleep mode. I didn't want the flash going into the sleep mode when being used manually off-camera.

Post #13, Apr 10, 2013 15:49:14

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

matti0006
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Apr 2013
19 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

If I just restore the flash to factory settings and use ETTL I get the following picture at 1/250 and f/8:

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/5sReb6z.jpg
while I get this image if I Set the flash to External Metering I get this image:
IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/kMKZncO.jpg
I can't really believe that the little reflection in the back would cause the ETTL system to make the image completely black.

Post #14, Apr 10, 2013 15:58:23 as a reply to drvnbysound's post 9 minutes earlier.

gonzogolf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2006
26,357 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Are you certain you dont have any flash exposure compensation dialed in? Either on the body or on the flash?

Post #15, Apr 10, 2013 16:04:42

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,661 views & 0 likes for this thread
ETTL-2 not working on 580ex ii, while ETTL is.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES