Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th of April 2013 (Wed)   #1
matti0006

Default ETTL-2 not working on 580ex ii, while ETTL is.

I bought a new 580ex ii flash for my canon 60D today and I cannot get the ETTL-2 to work.
When I shoot the same picture with three different metering modes this is what I get:
I shot all pictures in "P" mode, while having reset all flash settings, "P" gave me 1/60 and f/5 for every shot. No added exposure to any of the images. I remounted the flash already and cleaned the hotshoe but to no avail.

The above picture was made using ETTL-2.

The above picture was made using ETTL.

This last picture was made using External Metering: Auto.

It seems weird to me that the ETTL mode is working properly while the ETTL-2 mode is not. The flash DID FIRE on all three shots, the exposure is just completely wrong, even Flash Exposure Compensation +3 did absolutely nothing to help.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance!
matti0006 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of April 2013 (Wed)   #2
PacAce

Default Re: ETTL-2 not working on 580ex ii, while ETTL is.

What do you mean by ETTL and ETTL-2. There is no way to select between those two because ETTL/ETTL-2 is set via the camera body (it's one or the other and not selectable), not the flash. Did you mean TTL vs ETTL?
Old 10th of April 2013 (Wed)   #3
matti0006

I meant TTL and ETTL-2. Original post updated. Sorry for the confusion.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of April 2013 (Wed)   #4
umphotography
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti0006 View Post
I meant TTL and ETTL-2. Original post updated. Sorry for the confusion.
You had a bad contact,, there is no TTL that i know of.
Facebook
umphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of April 2013 (Wed)   #5
JCH77Yanks

Just a question... is the picture frame made of aluminum or any other reflective material?

Dial "M" for Manual.
JCH77Yanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of April 2013 (Wed)   #6
matti0006

The frame is made out of aluminum, but it seems like the reflection had nothing to do with this, the picture was just for clarity. Even if I aim the camera on a piece of grey wall, the E-TTL II gives me an almost black picture, while TTL and External Metering: Auto give a good picture.
Old 10th of April 2013 (Wed)   #7
matti0006

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphotography View Post
You had a bad contact,, there is no TTL that i know of.
What do you mean? In the C.Fn settings of the flash I can choose E-TTL II, TTL, External Metering: Auto and External Metering: Manual.
Old 10th of April 2013 (Wed)   #8
gonzogolf
Cream of the Crop

Usually TTL mode results from bad contact and is essentially a full flash firing. Try shooting something other than a white wall to see what results you get. Edit. Just read that you are selecting TTL in the custom settings? Why?
gonzogolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of April 2013 (Wed)   #9
matti0006

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzogolf View Post
Usually TTL mode results from bad contact and is essentially a full flash firing. Try shooting something other than a white wall to see what results you get. Edit. Just read that you are selecting TTL in the custom settings? Why?
I don't really know much about external flashing; the 580ex ii is my first one. I just found that the E-TTL II didn't give me the correct amount of light so I checked whether anything changed when I changed some settinga; TTL did better. Although External Metering: Auto seems to do even better in general circumstances.
Old 10th of April 2013 (Wed)   #10
matti0006

I've been shooting some more and noticed the following:
If I shoot with E-TTL II in a reasonably dark environment on manual with f/8, 1/250 and iso 100 I get a black image.
If I shoot with the same settings on either TTL or External Metering: Auto, the image is correctly exposed.
If I manually set the flash to its minimum output power (1/128) the image is correctly exposed as well.
Why does the E-TTL II measurement not choose these settings?

I mist confess I know very little about flash photography, but it seems like this should not happen.
Old 10th of April 2013 (Wed)   #11
drvnbysound
Goldmember

Are you actually shooting with manual camera settings?

The reason I ask is that your original post states the following, "I shot all pictures in "P" mode"
drvnbysound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of April 2013 (Wed)   #12
gonzogolf
Cream of the Crop

Its hard to say as what you are describing doesnt fit my experience so its hard to imagine what might be going wrong. BTW you dont have to keep adding II to ETTL, unless we were having a film camera discussion. Have you tried shooting things other than a white wall with a shiny frame and glass subject? What occurs to me is that something is fooling the flashes metering system. TTL mode is essentially a full power shot.
Old 10th of April 2013 (Wed)   #13
drvnbysound
Goldmember

Yeah, I've got a 50D and a couple of 580EXIIs... and I am able to get good results using manual camera settings along with the ETTL setting on the flash.

I have not looked at the C.Fn setting that you mention above. The only setting(s) that I've changed were regarding the sleep mode. I didn't want the flash going into the sleep mode when being used manually off-camera.
drvnbysound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of April 2013 (Wed)   #14
matti0006

If I just restore the flash to factory settings and use ETTL I get the following picture at 1/250 and f/8:

while I get this image if I Set the flash to External Metering I get this image:

I can't really believe that the little reflection in the back would cause the ETTL system to make the image completely black.
Old 10th of April 2013 (Wed)   #15
gonzogolf
Cream of the Crop

Are you certain you dont have any flash exposure compensation dialed in? Either on the body or on the flash?