Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 11 Apr 2013 (Thursday) 17:29
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Photek Softlighter II & Profoto

andrew00
71 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Apr 11, 2013 17:29 |  #1

Hey,

I've just jumped on a good deal for a Profoto 7B genny and head and want to get a Photek Softlighter II to accompany it as it's well priced and seems to have a good rep.

I'm looking at the Photeks' and see there's an 8mm and 7mm version, and google is telling me Profoto's umbrella shaft is 7mm, yet there's some people saying it's either 8mm or that 8mm umbrella's fit.

Has anyone used the Softlighter II with Pro-7B heads and can you advise which size to order? Cheers!

sponsored links
andrew00
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Apr 11, 2013 19:43 |  #2

Oh and does anyone know if AL's Photek is a 46" or 60"

http://2.bp.blogspot.c​om ...y_mYY/s400/Picture+​47.pngexternal link
http://static.photo.ne​t .../00X/00XvxI-315597684.jpgexternal link

ZoranC
271 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Los Angeles
Apr 11, 2013 22:46 |  #3

I don't know which one is that exactly but if I am to guess based on size relative to persons around I would guess it's 46". If you can afford I would get both though.

ramair455
119 posts
Joined Jan 2012
Apr 12, 2013 00:49 |  #4

Why not look at a Alien Bee PLM, they're more versatile.

JohnGress
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Mar 2017
Mar 19, 2017 11:52 |  #5

I know you wrote this years ago, but I thought I would reply in case someone else has the same question.

The 8mm shaft works well with the D1's and it's a very tight, yet functional, with the pro heads. I haven't used the 7mm before, but I like the fact that the 8mm is a tight on the pro heads, because its too lose on the D1s and tends to slip in and out depending on placement angle or the wind. I used the 8mm on the Acute heads too, but it wasn't as tight as the pro heads, but I dont remember if it was as loose as the D1 heads.

I wrote a full blog post with samples outlining my experience with the miraculous modifier!

http://johngress.com ...-softlighter-ii-umbrella/ (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Mar 19, 2017 12:37 as a reply to JohnGress's post |  #6

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. You're lucky to live/work where the wind outside isn't strong. Here, it's nigh impossible to use brollies outside. Heck, the other day a monolight with a beauty dish on a sturdy C-stand almost got knocked over–thank God I managed to catch it in time.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorably in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Darum still, füg' ich mich, wie Gott es will. Nun, so will ich wacker streiten, und sollt' ich den Tod erleiden, stirbt ein braver Reitersmann.

sponsored links

3,636 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photek Softlighter II & Profoto
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.