Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th of April 2013 (Sun)   #1
Mavgirl

Default Slipping command dial 50D

My trusty 50D is having problems. When I turn the command dial (the one by the shutter release) it slips sometimes. I have to press really hard on it to make it actually change the settings. It feels like the rubber around the dial is slipping.

So, my question, has anyone here popped open a body to repair a problem like this? Or am I better off sending it in for repair? It seems like it would be an easy repair but I've never done more than cleaning on a DSLR and I'm hesitant to dig in to it without knowing what I'd be in for.

Thanks for any advice y'all have.
Mavgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of April 2013 (Sun)   #2
yogestee
"hangs around male genitalia"

Default Re: Slipping command dial 50D

My 50D does this also, I'm thinking dust.

What I've done in the past is a few good blows from rocket blower which has worked. I have also given a few good blows out of my mouth (be carful not to spit) which has cleared the problem.

I also use a grip so in real emergencies I use the dial on my grip. After a couple of goes, this problem often clears itself.

http://www.pbase.com/jurgentreue
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!
yogestee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of April 2013 (Sun)   #3
Mavgirl

Thanks, I'll try the air.

Getting a grip is my backup plan. I've avoided them because I have hands the size of a ten year old. But I think I'd rather do that than a repair right now since I'm about to get a new body.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 15th of April 2013 (Mon)   #4
mjww

I had that problem with my 30D and the solution is to peel back the little rubber cover. The rubber part looks like a "[" and the disc of the switch is "----". So the whole switch look like this [----] Clean with rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip if you see any dirt or oils from your hands (should be clean). Place a tiny bit of Goop on a toothpick and get it between the rubber ring and the plastic disc of the rotary switch. Repeat around the rotary switch as many times as you can. Let it dry for 24 hrs and it should be as good as new. My repair has lasted 2 years so far. Hope this helps.

Last edited by mjww : 16th of April 2013 (Tue) at 21:09.
mjww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of April 2013 (Tue)   #5
Mavgirl

mjww.. Which Goop adhesive worked? The household one?

I tried my Rocket Blower on it and it didn't help.
Old 16th of April 2013 (Tue)   #6
mjww

I used either household or automotive (the two I usually keep in stock). Either one should work.
mjww is offline   Reply With Quote