Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th of April 2013 (Mon)   #1
lapino

Default Canon 17-55 IS : micro adjustment on 7D ?

I never used this feature, but lately noticed some of my shots being (unexplainably) oof. So I started messing with the micro adjustment for AF and it seems my 17-55 needs about +15. It's sharp then when taking pics pretty upclose, but when I take pictures from a distance the image doesn't seem as sharp.

So, what AF adjustments do your 17-55's need on a 7D?
lapino is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 15th of April 2013 (Mon)   #2
Rocky Rhode

Default Re: Canon 17-55 IS : micro adjustment on 7D ?

MFA was intended to be used for Prime lenses; you can MFA a zoom but you will only have that one focal length adjusted. Since the 17-55 is not parfocal, you need to MFA both at 17 & at 55; a feature that I don't believe that 7D has.
Old 15th of April 2013 (Mon)   #3
2n10
Cream of the Crop

I haven't done it on mine. From my understanding on zoom lenses if you AMFA on the 7D for one end then the other end may suffer for it. Suggestions seem to be if you use the full range average the adjustment from both ends. If you use mostly at one end then AFMA at that end.
2n10 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 15th of April 2013 (Mon)   #4
lapino

Ok that explains a lot. Think I'll leave it at 0 then. Was not aware that MFA was specifically intended for prime lenses.
lapino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of April 2013 (Mon)   #5
Invertalon
Cream of the Crop

I used to bias zoom lenses with the 7D and 5D2 closer to the tele end since depth of field is more shallow. For example, if it needed -2 at 17mm and +4 at the 55mm focal length, I would probably set it at +2.
Old 15th of April 2013 (Mon)   #6
cthetoy

I microadjust my zoom lens. i microadjust the wide angle first and then the zoom end. Wide is +3 and Zoom is +6 so I leave it a +4. A lot better than leaving it at zero.

If there is a wide discrepancy between the wide and zoom then I would send it to Canon to recalibrate your lens.

The 5d3 cameras allows you two enter two MA settings: One setting on the wide end and one settings on the zoom end
cthetoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of April 2013 (Mon)   #7
TeamSpeed
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapino View Post
Ok that explains a lot. Think I'll leave it at 0 then. Was not aware that MFA was specifically intended for prime lenses.
It is not intended for prime lenses, it is designed for any lens. You just either set the MFA value to whatever is needed at the focal length you shoot at most, or just average the value needed. Steve has a good reason for what he MFAs at as well, I would refer to that earlier reply as another possibility.

Canon has since introduced new MFA on the 1DX to allow MFA at the wide end and at the telephoto end of a zoom lens, further enhancing the MFA functionality.
TeamSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of April 2013 (Tue)   #8
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthetoy View Post
I microadjust my zoom lens. i microadjust the wide angle first and then the zoom end. Wide is +3 and Zoom is +6 so I leave it a +4. A lot better than leaving it at zero.
Yup, good decision.

People seem to forget that it's a MICROadjustment. It makes very small changes. For most lenses the difference between +3, +4 and +6 would be hardly noticeable, and almost certainly close to the natural shot-to-shot variation.
hollis_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of April 2013 (Tue)   #9
TeamSpeed
Cream of the Crop

Once you hit +/-7 or so, I think you would notice it, because at this point, you have shifted your DOF about one entire "dof-wide" amount. I forget the exact amount that Canon documents, but I think 1 value equates to 1/8 the DOF maybe?
TeamSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote