Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 15 Apr 2013 (Monday) 08:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 17-55 IS : micro adjustment on 7D ?

lapino
496 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 15, 2013 08:35 |  #1

I never used this feature, but lately noticed some of my shots being (unexplainably) oof. So I started messing with the micro adjustment for AF and it seems my 17-55 needs about +15. It's sharp then when taking pics pretty upclose, but when I take pictures from a distance the image doesn't seem as sharp.

So, what AF adjustments do your 17-55's need on a 7D?

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/23660915@N07/ (external link)
Gear: Fuji X-T2 / 18-55/2.8-4 / 23/1.4 / 56/1.2 / 55-200/ RX100M4

sponsored links
Rocky ­ Rhode
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 15, 2013 09:25 |  #2

MFA was intended to be used for Prime lenses; you can MFA a zoom but you will only have that one focal length adjusted. Since the 17-55 is not parfocal, you need to MFA both at 17 & at 55; a feature that I don't believe that 7D has.

GEAR LIST Flickr (external link)

2n10
Cream of the Crop
17,010 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 15, 2013 09:26 |  #3

I haven't done it on mine. From my understanding on zoom lenses if you AMFA on the 7D for one end then the other end may suffer for it. Suggestions seem to be if you use the full range average the adjustment from both ends. If you use mostly at one end then AFMA at that end.

John
Equipment
My Portfolio (external link)

lapino
THREAD ­ STARTER
496 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 15, 2013 09:40 |  #4

Ok that explains a lot. Think I'll leave it at 0 then. Was not aware that MFA was specifically intended for prime lenses.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/23660915@N07/ (external link)
Gear: Fuji X-T2 / 18-55/2.8-4 / 23/1.4 / 56/1.2 / 55-200/ RX100M4

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,494 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 15, 2013 10:20 |  #5

I used to bias zoom lenses with the 7D and 5D2 closer to the tele end since depth of field is more shallow. For example, if it needed -2 at 17mm and +4 at the 55mm focal length, I would probably set it at +2.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

cthetoy
21 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 15, 2013 10:43 |  #6

I microadjust my zoom lens. i microadjust the wide angle first and then the zoom end. Wide is +3 and Zoom is +6 so I leave it a +4. A lot better than leaving it at zero.

If there is a wide discrepancy between the wide and zoom then I would send it to Canon to recalibrate your lens.

The 5d3 cameras allows you two enter two MA settings: One setting on the wide end and one settings on the zoom end

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,177 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 15, 2013 12:20 |  #7

lapino wrote in post #15829644 (external link)
Ok that explains a lot. Think I'll leave it at 0 then. Was not aware that MFA was specifically intended for prime lenses.

It is not intended for prime lenses, it is designed for any lens. You just either set the MFA value to whatever is needed at the focal length you shoot at most, or just average the value needed. Steve has a good reason for what he MFAs at as well, I would refer to that earlier reply as another possibility.

Canon has since introduced new MFA on the 1DX to allow MFA at the wide end and at the telephoto end of a zoom lens, further enhancing the MFA functionality.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 16, 2013 05:08 |  #8

cthetoy wrote in post #15829877 (external link)
I microadjust my zoom lens. i microadjust the wide angle first and then the zoom end. Wide is +3 and Zoom is +6 so I leave it a +4. A lot better than leaving it at zero.

Yup, good decision.

People seem to forget that it's a MICROadjustment. It makes very small changes. For most lenses the difference between +3, +4 and +6 would be hardly noticeable, and almost certainly close to the natural shot-to-shot variation.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,177 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 16, 2013 13:13 |  #9

Once you hit +/-7 or so, I think you would notice it, because at this point, you have shifted your DOF about one entire "dof-wide" amount. I forget the exact amount that Canon documents, but I think 1 value equates to 1/8 the DOF maybe?

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

1,402 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 17-55 IS : micro adjustment on 7D ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.