Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions
Thread started 15 Apr 2013 (Monday) 14:24
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon DSLR Speed Challenge #280 - Photograph From Across the Street

Kevan
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Easton, MD
Apr 15, 2013 14:24 |  #1

So this is street photography, taken from a safe distance. Too often we photographers fear the act of trespassing into people's personal space, by thrusting a camera in a face, squeezing the shutter, and hoping for two things. That you captured a good image, and you don't get punched in the nose for doing what you just did.

What I like about across the street photographs, is you can stage your scene, and not get punched. By looking across the street find something you think will be grabbing people's attention and wait for the cast of characters to walk onto your stage, then squeeze your shutter. Maybe your attraction is a street entertainer, a shop window with a sexy lingerie display, a poster, or someone's cute puppy-dog. You're looking for that attraction, now with your camera set and ready, you're just waiting for the attraction to draw the flies that will complete your image's story. Then click.

Go for it!

Standard Rules apply:
Photo Submissions:

1. Camera - Any Canon DSLR Camera
2. Time - please note the date restriction described in the challenge description
3. Size - Please visit Image Posting Rules.
4. Post-Processing - do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
5. Posting - * ONE PHOTO per photographer in each challenge.* Photo Name in the message subject line.* Camera model & lens used.* Notes -- post brief EXIF data including ISO, shutter speed and aperture used.
6. Commenting - No commenting during challenge. When the posting is closed and a winner has been declared, comments can be made in this thread.
7. Keep it clean, and both Family and Work safe.
8. Have questions, PM me.
9. Have FUN!

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:

* New Topic - After winner is declared.
* Posting Starts - Right after topic is announced.
* Posting Ends -10pm April 21nd, 2013 Eastern Standard Time.
* Winner from this competition decides the theme of the next one (and judges it for a winner) after this competition is closed.

kevan's lensexternal link

sponsored links
teekay
Goldmember
2,550 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Apr 16, 2013 10:31 |  #2

Haute Couture, Eh?

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

60D 1/1000 f/2.8 ISO640 44mm (Tamron17-50)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Apr 16, 2013 13:01 as a reply to teekay's post |  #3

Across The Street in Key West

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/IMG_0754-1.jpg
5D
85L
ISO 100
1/200
f/5.6
manual
spot

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,620 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Apr 16, 2013 13:57 as a reply to airfrogusmc's post |  #4

Skeleton Man

5DIII
24-70mm lems
f/8
1/100
ISO 250

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
5DIII
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0, 300/f4, 24-70/2.8 both I & II

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,577 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
East Central IL
Apr 16, 2013 14:02 as a reply to Maureen Souza's post |  #5

Cellphone City

7D
135L @ f2
1/500 sec
ISO 100

IMAGE: http://bimmermail.com/UK2012/Day%20Seven/cc01.jpg

Mark J.
Gear

MrGman65
Joined Feb 2012
Vista, CA
Apr 16, 2013 14:55 |  #6

Man on the tracks

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8174/7984932668_9b7907402f_b.jpg

EOS 20D, f/7.1, 1/13 sec., ISO=100, 55mm

This is sort of across the street. kevan will need to decide if it meets his criteria.

No matter where you go, there you are!

Kevan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Easton, MD
Apr 22, 2013 10:23 |  #7

Wow, we started out gangbusters with the five entries, and then things got real quiet. Too quiet. Where is everyone? Are you folks out there using those expensive cameras 'r what?

Okay, so of five entries, I'm giving teekay the nod. The association between his subject and the background provides us all with a good chuckle. I'm sure North Face would appreciate the humor.

Allen, I enjoyed your modern-day Aztec Mercury Fellow, but really...that image socks! I only wish there was someone else sharing the sidewalk with the gentleman. Had there been someone, either acting totally shocked or trying to be blasé about his...his costume , you would have had a masterpiece on your...hands.

Maureen, excellent subject to draw passerby's attention, but the image gives too much cred' to skeleton man and not enough to those looking on. I understand it's tough to get just the right framing. There's a lot going on in there. Lots of background stuff and clutter around the guy that serves only to distract, but through the visual tangle, we can see the two onlookers taking in the sight with wonder and humor.

M_Six, I like the portrait and the tat-birdie seemingly responding to the music pouring from the earbuds, breaking clear of his collar. I would tighten the crop, on the bottom and bottom right. There's not much more to add other than it's a solid candid image.

MrGman65, that image is freakin' me out a little. It is artistically an intriguing image. It's so personal, being face to face with the individual, or his reflection, or the surrounding reflections. I suspect you are lurking in the shadows beside or behind the gentleman, with camera pointed. I just wish there was more going on on Imperial Av. What is this guy looking out at otherwise?

Take it away, teekay!

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,620 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Apr 22, 2013 12:51 |  #8

Congrats to teekay!

Now Kevan, your comments on my photo don't make any sense when I look at the other photos. "but the image gives too much cred' to skeleton man and not enough to those looking on". Well no one is looking on in the other photos & if I kept more on-lookers in the picture, there was also a lot more background clutter.

"What I like about across the street photographs, is you can stage your scene, and not get punched. By looking across the street find something you think will be grabbing people's attention and wait for the cast of characters to walk onto your stage, then squeeze your shutter. Maybe your attraction is a street entertainer, a shop window with a sexy lingerie display, a poster, or someone's cute puppy-dog. You're looking for that attraction, now with your camera set and ready, you're just waiting for the attraction to draw the flies that will complete your image's story. Then click"

If you want street photos, you have to take what is on the street & surroundings with it. :)

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
5DIII
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0, 300/f4, 24-70/2.8 both I & II

teekay
Goldmember
2,550 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Apr 22, 2013 13:43 as a reply to Maureen Souza's post |  #9

Thanks, Kevan, but now I've got to think something up and end up judging it while away from home.:cry:

I really expected airfrogusmc to win this week as it was not only obviously taken from across the street but also intriguing. Were some bits blacked out? If not, what's holding everything in place while striding out without a belt? And where is he hurrying to or from - cops?;)

Kevan, I too, wonder why there aren't more entries, considering that the EOS equipment forum is so extremely active.

airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Apr 23, 2013 05:26 |  #10

Thanks Kevin for hosting and commenting and thanks teekay for the kind words and congrats and great winning shot.

I haven't been shooting any personal work at all for the last 6 months with a Canon DSLR (all MM) so I really haven't had any new stuff to post in here.

Kevan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Easton, MD
Apr 23, 2013 07:45 |  #11

Mo, you are right, you totally complied with what I had outlined in my instruction. The thing is, at the time of decision, you have to find for the image that appears to work best (or at least by this poor judge's standard of such). I probably would have picked Allen's image had there been another character added to his scene, depending on how that individual seemed to react to what we saw.

Yours had all the components, but perhaps too many.

airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Apr 23, 2013 09:07 as a reply to Kevan's post |  #12

A great read by Eric Kim
http://erickimphotogra​phy.com ...about-street-photography/external link

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Nanaimo,B.C.
Apr 23, 2013 09:12 as a reply to airfrogusmc's post |  #13

Lol.I didn't enter this one was across my street is trees...and not a soul looking at them!:p Small town, not alot of action nor interest.

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

Kevan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Easton, MD
Apr 23, 2013 12:27 |  #14

Why is it that all the good photographs have already been taken?

airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Apr 23, 2013 13:14 |  #15

Kevan wrote in post #15858725external link
Why is it that all the good photographs have already been taken?

LoL I think it just seems that way.

sponsored links

2,111 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.