Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th of April 2013 (Tue)   #1
one1002

Default Godox QT-600 studio strobe with quite some features. Anyone tried it?

First of all, i posted this in the flickr strobist group, but I thought that posting here would be a good idea as well. =D

Was searching for studio lights when I came across this Godox QT-600. Just wondering if any of you guys have tried it? Check out the specification.

Screen shot 2013-04-16 at 5.02.41 PM.png

http://godox.en.alibaba.com/product/...sh_Light_.html

What's interesting and somewhat confusing to me is the flash output. Godox claims the flash output is 1/1 - 1/128. But in 50 steps? 5.0-10.0.. Wouldn't that be 6 stops only? I'm assuming it's 0.1 steps increment. Thus, i'm guessing it's 1/1 - 1/32? Or am i missing something? Because on my jinbei discovery DC-600, the total f-stops variability is 5 stops, full to 1/16 with the display showing 1.0 (lowest - 1/16) and 5.0 (highest - 1/1). Anyway, if the lowest power is 1/128, that'd be great because AFAIK only the Einsteins have the lowest power of 1/256. And that's 9 stops.

Another interesting feature is the wireless control (usb) that allows us to trigger and control the power output wirelessly. It's called the Godox FT-16

[

I tried to find reviews on it but can't seem to find it. If anyone has tried or own this product, would you please give some feedback on it?
one1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 16th of April 2013 (Tue)   #2
Whortleberry

Default Re: Godox QT-600 studio strobe with quite some features. Anyone tried it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/600W-600Ws...item460c19e08c (& scroll down) mentions 50 STEPS in 0.1 increments. I think you are confusing STEPS with f/stops - from 5.0 to 6.0 would be 10 STEPS but only 1 f/stop. A single letter makes all the difference sometimes, as I'm sure it also does in Malay too .

The FT-16 controller is the same as Cheetah Stand are selling in the USA as the Cheetah Light Remote Set - they are the same product, just rebranded for the USA. Plenty of detail on the link above, plus access to the Instruction Manual if you are interested.

For those of us outside the USA, the Cheetah Light range is identical to the Godox AD-180 range. Edward has had them rebranded for sale in the USA so that he can provide his highly regarded customer service without getting embroiled in "Did we sell this or didn't we sell it" discussions - or so I understand. Although exhorbitant USPS postal charges preclude many of us from buying from Cheetah Stand (eg a 1 to 2 cable @ US$19.95 becomes US$66.15 with postage added), Cheetah Stand site is a hugely valuable source of information about the CL-Tx/Rx aka FT16 product.

Unfortunately, the QT600 doesn't yet appear on Godox's own website (nor, indeed, does the AD-180) so it's hard to find definitive information about the unit. Looks quite nice but fairly expensive - then again, it depends on shipping costs to our individual destinations.
Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX in 24 DDS, HP3 in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20. Just one or two other bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about!
FlickR ◄► The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.08 ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79
Whortleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of April 2013 (Tue)   #3
one1002

Default Re: Godox QT-600 studio strobe with quite some features. Anyone tried it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whortleberry View Post
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/600W-600Ws...item460c19e08c (& scroll down) mentions 50 STEPS in 0.1 increments. I think you are confusing STEPS with f/stops - from 5.0 to 6.0 would be 10 STEPS but only 1 f/stop. A single letter makes all the difference sometimes, as I'm sure it also does in Malay too .

The FT-16 controller is the same as Cheetah Stand are selling in the USA as the Cheetah Light Remote Set - they are the same product, just rebranded for the USA. Plenty of detail on the link above, plus access to the Instruction Manual if you are interested.

For those of us outside the USA, the Cheetah Light range is identical to the Godox AD-180 range. Edward has had them rebranded for sale in the USA so that he can provide his highly regarded customer service without getting embroiled in "Did we sell this or didn't we sell it" discussions - or so I understand. Although exhorbitant USPS postal charges preclude many of us from buying from Cheetah Stand (eg a 1 to 2 cable @ US$19.95 becomes US$66.15 with postage added), Cheetah Stand site is a hugely valuable source of information about the CL-Tx/Rx aka FT16 product.

Unfortunately, the QT600 doesn't yet appear on Godox's own website (nor, indeed, does the AD-180) so it's hard to find definitive information about the unit. Looks quite nice but fairly expensive - then again, it depends on shipping costs to our individual destinations.
thank you! let me get this straight.. perhaps i'm still confuse about the f/stops thing as I still think that numerical "term" such as 1/1, 1/2,.. so on is easier than 1.0, 1.1, 2.0..and so on. lol..back on the topic, you said that 5.0 to 6.0 has 10 steps (0.1 each), and it's 1 f/stop. assuming 5.0 is full power (1/1), then 6.0 would be (1/2) and so on? if yes, then at 10.0, it's 1/32?

as the link i posted stated from full 1/1 to 1/128. That's 8 stops right? How does the 8 stops represent the Godox output power of 5.0 to 10.0? Because that's only 6 stops. And why they use 5.0 - 10.0...........on a simpler term..how does 50 steps (5.0 - 10.0) equal to 9 f/stops variability (1/1 - 1/128) lol..Sh!t i'm getting confused. LOL

Anyway I'm not that good with these technical stuffs. As I mentioned before, I have Jinbei Discovery DC-600, which is similar to Lencarta Safari Li-on. When the display shows 5.0, that's full power (1/1), 4.0 is 1/2, 3.0 is 1/4, 4.0 is 1/8 and 5.0 is 1/16. Ahhh! LOL.. So during photoshooting sessions, I will adjust the output accordingly.

Yeah it's quite expensive though. I am still finding studio strobes. Can't afford elinchrom, while the Einsteins or Alien Bees are not available in my country. They don't even ship it here. Heh..

Thank you again!

Last edited by one1002 : 16th of April 2013 (Tue) at 06:23.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 16th of April 2013 (Tue)   #4
tetrode
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information

Speaking of Lencarta, these rebranded Godox flash units provide extremely short flash durations at minimum power:

http://www.lencarta.com/lighting-sto...d-studio-flash

In their blog, Lencarta claims a flash duration of 1/20,000 second for the 300Ws unit at minimum power.
tetrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of April 2013 (Tue)   #5
one1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetrode View Post
Speaking of Lencarta, these rebranded Godox flash units provide extremely short flash durations at minimum power:

http://www.lencarta.com/lighting-sto...d-studio-flash

In their blog, Lencarta claims a flash duration of 1/20,000 second for the 300Ws unit at minimum power.
yes I just noticed that both of them are exactly the same, except for the name.

quoted from LightingRumours

"Loyal Lighting Rumours readers will recognise the SF lights as elements of Godox’s lighting forest shown on our Facebook page. Lencarta’s Garry Edwards admitted to Lighting Rumours that these high speed flashes are indeed manufactured by Godox, and Lencarta haven’t made any changes inside because they are “damn near perfect”. Edwards writes a bit more about the lights on the Lencarta blog."

May need to wait a few more months before consumers get their hands-on on the strobe. Looks promising though. =)
Old 11th of August 2013 (Sun)   #6
eventsof1768

bump

anyone try these yet?
eventsof1768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of August 2013 (Sun)   #7
mR_CaESaR

I would love to know as well, I'm sussing out if I'm better off with these or Einsteins.

Einsteins are so expensive here in Australia ($USD640 converted compared to $USD499).

These are around $USD 500 and would fit my current lineup of cheaper flashes, since I already have a fair bit of bowens mount accessories (a couple of stripboxes, a couple of softboxes, BD, grids and a background attachment) it would seem more logical for me to go Godox QT-600.

My biggest worry is where to get replacement tubes and if it'll be compatible with my innovatronix Explorer XT, I know the Einsteins are definitely compatible with the XT and the replacement parts are quite readily available here in Aus.

To move to the Einstein, it'll not only cost the price of the Einstein, but it'll be a new beauty dish plus a grid at the very least, seems like a no brainer to go for the cheaper option, but having never heard of these strobes, not having parts ready available and I think there's one review around, it makes me a little skeptical
mR_CaESaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of August 2013 (Tue)   #8
DamianOz

I just ordered 3, will see how they go
DamianOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of August 2013 (Tue)   #9
dmward
Cream of the Crop

HERE is a review that has some detailed measurements of flash duration and power settings.
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of August 2013 (Tue)   #10
mR_CaESaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianOz View Post
I just ordered 3, will see how they go
I await your review

You wouldn't happen to have an Explorer XT or the original Vagabond II do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmward View Post
HERE is a review that has some detailed measurements of flash duration and power settings.
I have read that one a few times.

I'm just worried about replacement tubes as well.
mR_CaESaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of August 2013 (Tue)   #11
dmward
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mR_CaESaR View Post

It appears that LensCarta and others have replacement tubes on their websites.

Over the years, I think I've replaced one tube out of about 8 monolights I've owned.
Old 27th of August 2013 (Tue)   #12
DamianOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mR_CaESaR View Post
I await your review

You wouldn't happen to have an Explorer XT or the original Vagabond II do you?
no
Quote:

Are they specific to this model? I would think they are common with the other 600ws strobes, just beed to ensure the contact wires are right. Godox has other 600W models, so their tubes should fit. Never the less, I have asked for clarification, and will most likely keep a spare or 2 on hand anyway.
Old 27th of August 2013 (Tue)   #13
DamianOz

Just set up my 6D using wifi, Cells II-C to control AD 360. To try a few selfies and get a hang of the exposure settings, the Qboxes etc, as I have no one else here to model at the moment.
It all works fine, but I am getting a lot of non firing. Have to head out so will test more later to see if I can find out why, and if I get the same with the 5D3
Old 27th of August 2013 (Tue)   #14
dmward
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianOz View Post
...but I am getting a lot of non firing...
I've had the same situation from time to time. I think it may have something do do with getting the Cells-IIc well set on top of the camera.

It may also be something in the firmware related to changing power settings. I can't seem to nail it down to a single situation. Until I can make it happen repeatably I'll just chalk it up to goblins.
Old 28th of August 2013 (Wed)   #15
DamianOz

ok, just been testing some more
I'm getting more non fires than fires. here is an example, 0=not fired 1=fired
00100101001001000111000100111111101001111010100111 000010

I cant seem to determine a reason, I seem to get a 0 directly after doing camera adjustments, exposure of focus, or if I don't wait about 5 seconds between shots (even though the flash beep has indicated recycling) But then when I expect it to fire, no changes and longer wait, it doesn't.
Its certainly not acceptable like this