Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 30 Apr 2013 (Tuesday) 00:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Uncertainty - A street shot

SmokeySiFy
463 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 30, 2013 00:44 |  #1

Not very experienced at street photography, but I saw the option at a family candid. What do you think? All done in ACR. Not very experienced with black and white conversions. I chose black and white since the color was somewhat distracting and didn't add to the photo, so I cut it.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

500px Gallery (external link) -- Critique is OK: Feel free to critique any image I post
ChrisMeierPhotograpghy​.com (external link)

sponsored links
revluke
438 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Apr 30, 2013 00:58 |  #2

Need to crop. I assume the little lady is the target since she's in focus? I'd just crop out all but her. Or maybe leave the scratch off since I'm thinking that might be part of it?

5dIII | 70d | Rokinon 14 | 16-35 f4 IS | 40 2.8 | s50A | 70-200 2.8 IS II | 100 f2 | s120-300S | sigma 2x | 600EX-RT

cpam.pix
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 30, 2013 00:58 |  #3

Interesting subject.... Sad in a way. Teaching the young girl to "invest" in the lottery.

I think this is either cropped too tight or too loose.

Too tight: parts of mom, daughter, and head of kid in stroller are cropped off. The larger scene might have changed the context.
Too loose: you could focus on the intensity of the girl (or mom) and her scratchwork.

A lower vantage point might have pulled them together, but at this range, DOF is still an issue. Something is going on along the right border. I can't figure it out.

Thanks for sharing your work!

1D-III with stuff to stick on it:
70-200L, 28-70L, 24-105L, 300L, 50, 10-17 fish, 2.0x TC
Image editing OK, encouraged, and expected. Thank you for helping me learn!

mdrtoys
842 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 30, 2013 01:05 |  #4

I think you have a great subject and the potential to tell an interesting story but neither the composition or the crop do anything for me. I would have tried a repositioned shot but since this is what you have, try to figure out a crop that really brings the story you're trying to tell into focus.

SmokeySiFy
THREAD ­ STARTER
463 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 30, 2013 01:24 |  #5

Well uncropped, the right is just an out of focus tree. to the left is the out of focus arm of the dad with a loto ticket sitting on a backpack. I didn't get the kids head, and it was behind a balloon. I guess the only option I have is to crop tighter. The best option I found was a 1x1 crop, with a 4x5 being a close second. Any reason to use one over the other?

Two versions, one tight, and one tighter.

I also feel I should clarify what background I know. This was shot during a street fair in Los Angeles. There were tons of lotto ads and it is safe to say the lotto sponsered the event. Not sure how I feel about it. I guess uncertain.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

500px Gallery (external link) -- Critique is OK: Feel free to critique any image I post

revluke
438 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Apr 30, 2013 09:12 |  #6

like the bottom crop better, headed in the right direction

5dIII | 70d | Rokinon 14 | 16-35 f4 IS | 40 2.8 | s50A | 70-200 2.8 IS II | 100 f2 | s120-300S | sigma 2x | 600EX-RT

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
1,865 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 30, 2013 13:49 |  #7

I think with just a girl this shot has no potential - the story "mother+daughter" is the ticket and for that you don't have enough in the shot - mother is cropped and off focus. I am not saying, that crop some parts of people does not work sometimes, but this is not the case, imo.

That's, if you want stronger story. If you're good with just a candid shot of a girl - might be different. But there are a lot of those out there ;)

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

rudou
54 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 30, 2013 16:09 |  #8

I like the shot with both lady and girl. The scene for me is the girl helping her mom with the scratch offs.

SmokeySiFy
THREAD ­ STARTER
463 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 30, 2013 23:26 |  #9

osh_sekta wrote in post #15883393 (external link)
I think with just a girl this shot has no potential - the story "mother+daughter" is the ticket and for that you don't have enough in the shot - mother is cropped and off focus. I am not saying, that crop some parts of people does not work sometimes, but this is not the case, imo.

That's, if you want stronger story. If you're good with just a candid shot of a girl - might be different. But there are a lot of those out there ;)

So I get having the mom's head woulda been better. And also the guy that is completely out of the frame. And I dunno if it is the mom or grandma or aunt or whoever. Also they seem somewhat put together and the street fiesta going on was sponsered by the ca lottery and they were selling tickets during the thing. Presented in a vacuum I think it has one meaning, and with the context I just provided another. I like using the meaning of the first way, but I feel a bit bad about it.

sponsored links

868 views & 0 likes for this thread
Uncertainty - A street shot
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.