FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 04 May 2013 (Saturday) 09:42   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Miqs
Joined Dec 2008
318 posts
Bedfordshire, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Is there a life span to an SD card if used moderately and are there signs when a card is beginning to fail? I currently have three and try to rotate them but wondered if there are any signs of impending doom? :(
Also is it possible to check on the number of exposures a card has had?

Post #1, May 04, 2013 09:42:29

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
RTPVid
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
3,365 posts
MN
[MORE/SHARE]

Miqs wrote in post #15896724external link
Is there a life span to an SD card if used moderately and are there signs when a card is beginning to fail? I currently have three and try to rotate them but wondered if there are any signs of impending doom? :(
Also is it possible to check on the number of exposures a card has had?

SD cards do have a wear-out limit, but it is very high, on the order of 100,000+ erase/write cycles, and SD cards include wear-leveling technology to even out the usage across the card.

So, if used moderately (as you say) you will never reach the wear-out limit.

Post #2, May 04, 2013 12:21:53

Tom

kenwood33
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2005
2,316 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

100k is about the life of a shutter
where did you get that information from? i would think it should be much higher

Post #3, May 04, 2013 12:41:48

Gearlist

lennartsw
Joined Mar 2013
105 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I think you don't see a SD card die because you have have written too much data on it.
I don't have any SD cards but one of my photography teachers has got an old memory card that looks like a CF card but it is something else with a little computer (you can also hear it) in it. He says he and many pupils have taken about 3 million photos with it and it still works. I think a storage will live longer than a computer.

Post #4, May 04, 2013 13:26:45

Sorry for my bad English
5DIII, 7D, Samyang 14 2.8, Canon 17-40 4L, Canon 28 1.8, Zeiss 50 1.4, Canon 85 1.2L II, Canon 100 2.8L, Canon 100-400L 4.5-5.6

Flickrexternal link

isoMorphic
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
2,090 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

lennartsw wrote in post #15897191external link
I don't have any SD cards but one of my photography teachers has got an old memory card that looks like a CF card but it is something else with a little computer (you can also hear it) in it.

It's called Micro drive and it's the same thing used in older generation iPods and such. Many moved away from them because if you drop them chances are it's game over. Unlike with flash which is extremely durable and is able to take a serious beating.

Post #5, May 04, 2013 14:35:45

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
RTPVid
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
3,365 posts
MN
[MORE/SHARE]

kenwood33 wrote in post #15897096external link
100k is about the life of a shutter

It's also the expected life (in miles) of some automotive belts. I didn't get it confused with that, either. :rolleyes:

kenwood33 wrote in post #15897096external link
where did you get that information from? i would think it should be much higher

The information is available lots of places (even wikipedia). Here's one source: http://www.snia.org ...ability_White_Paper​_0.pdfexternal link (check page 5), but fair warning... that paper is not for the squeamish regarding flash memory error rates.

Post #6, May 04, 2013 16:27:58

Tom

isoMorphic
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
2,090 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Well people have done all kinds of testing on SSD and found 3-5 years (depends on the flash type) under constant use.

So SD could be anywhere from 3 years to a lifetime depending how much you shoot. I have cards that are over 20 years old and good as new. But of course they were not used that much so they have lots of miles left.

Post #7, May 04, 2013 20:35:41

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2007
10,418 posts
Sussex, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

An SD card should last between 15 and 50 years before it reaches its write/erase cycle limit. If you're still using your puny little 32GB card (if you still have a camera that will accept SDXC cards) in 20 years time I'll be most surprised.

Post #8, May 05, 2013 07:34:47

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Websiteexternal link

jbrackjr
Joined Dec 2011
435 posts
Georgia, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Considering the first SD card was a 32MB card produced in 1999-2000 the oldest SD is about 13-14 years old. Doubtful that you will find many of them still in use. :lol:

Post #9, May 05, 2013 09:46:17

Jim
Gear List

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,443 views & 0 likes for this thread
SD card life span
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES