Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation
Thread started 06 May 2013 (Monday) 10:20
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Planes of Fame, 2013

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
May 06, 2013 10:20 |  #1

Combed through my set of photos taken on Sunday. Was looking for something "appropriate" for the intro image and thought this one fit the bill. Certainly not the best image in my collection but it does highlight/showcase what this year's show was all about: Having five P-38's up in the air, flying in formation. This is truly remarkable, considering (from what we're told) there are only 7 air-worthy P-38's in the entire world.

More images to come later.

IMAGE: http://julianchen.smugmug.com/Photography/PoF-Chino-2013/i-7gbpFtj/0/XL/20130505-Canon%20EOS-1D%20X-1DX_3240-XL.jpg

(Also, it was nice to meet FlyingPhotog in person. :D)

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Review | "The Mighty One" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links
rent
651 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Irvine, CA
May 06, 2013 11:19 |  #2

Hey was there! Nice shot, Julian!

http://portfolio.alexj​iang.comexternal link

TheBigDog
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
Sicklerville, NJ, USA
May 06, 2013 11:19 |  #3

what a sight to see for sure, 5 P-38's....wow!

Chris
http://www.cegphotogra​phy.com/ (external link)
Flickr (external link) * Facebook (external link)
Nikon D5 * D810 * 24-70 f/2.8 * Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art * 105mm f/2.8 * 70-200 f/2.8 * 80-400mm * Sigma Sport 150-600mm

jwcdds
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
May 06, 2013 18:35 |  #4

rent wrote in post #15902991 (external link)
Hey was there! Nice shot, Julian!

Sunday turned out great, or at least that's my opinion. It's always nice to have cooler weather at an airshow. :D

TheBigDog wrote in post #15902993 (external link)
what a sight to see for sure, 5 P-38's....wow!

Yessir. I would've been so sad if I had missed this year's event.

Here are two more now that I'm just starting to process the photos. I did not expect to see a B-17 there, there was no mention of one that would partake in the airshow. Well, it really didn't as it only took off and landed after doing a test run. Rumor had it that it was suppose to fly out earlier in the week but they had some engine trouble that forced them to postpone their departure, and instead, try to troubleshoot.

IMAGE: http://julianchen.smugmug.com/Photography/PoF-Chino-2013/i-Pp9XMtf/0/XL/20130505-Canon%20EOS%207D-7D1_6861-XL.jpg

IMAGE: http://julianchen.smugmug.com/Photography/PoF-Chino-2013/i-k5GPc44/0/XL/20130505-Canon%20EOS-1D%20X-1DX_1009-XL.jpg

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

Gary ­ McDuffie
Goldmember
3,022 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Scottsbluff, NE USA
May 06, 2013 21:39 |  #5

Good to see you, Julian. Are you still posting pix of the boy? I miss seeing them now and then.

Gary
"I'm not much of an artist, but I like to document certain things that I see."
----------
5DII, 7D, some L, Manfroto one and three legged devices, shooting & learning bit by bit via POTN

ONE30
I don't have a point!!!
4,126 posts
Joined Mar 2011
newYORK
May 06, 2013 22:04 as a reply to Gary McDuffie's post |  #6

...nice shots, i miss kcno and FLO's! was in chino for flight school back in the day and never attended an airshow there, #whatashame

jwcdds
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
May 06, 2013 22:12 |  #7

Gary McDuffie wrote in post #15905118external link
Good to see you, Julian. Are you still posting pix of the boy? I miss seeing them now and then.

Hi Gary, I don't post photos of my kids as often as I used to (as the internet lets out a collective sigh of relief). My son isn't changing as much as he used to now that he's 3. And while my daughter is 5 months, I'm putting more hours at work trying to grow my practice and baby girl goes to sleep earlier than my son used to, so I'm missing out on photo ops that I used to have.

Thanks for asking. I mostly post in the 50L archive nowadays for stuff like that.

Julian

jwcdds
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
May 06, 2013 22:12 |  #8

meeko031 wrote in post #15905195external link
...nice shots, i miss kcno and FLO's! was in chino for flight school back in the day and never attended an airshow there, #whatashame

Thank you. :)

Julian

yipDog ­ Studios
Goldmember
1,579 posts
Joined Nov 2012
Mesa, AZ
May 06, 2013 22:24 |  #9

Great shots! Wish I could have made it out there!
FYI, the B-17 is "Aluminum Overcast" operated by the EAA.

www.yipdogstudios.comexternal link http://yipdog.smugmug.​comexternal link
1Dx, 5D mk3, 70D, C100, glass for all occasions, and a studio full of support gear!

jwcdds
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
May 06, 2013 23:19 |  #10

yipDog Studios wrote in post #15905234 (external link)
Great shots! Wish I could have made it out there!
FYI, the B-17 is "Aluminum Overcast" operated by the EAA.

Thanks! Yeah, it's AO.

IMAGE: http://julianchen.smugmug.com/Photography/PoF-Chino-2013/i-Cqz6gtZ/0/XL/20130505-Canon%20EOS-1D%20X-1DX_1030-XL.jpg

IMAGE: http://julianchen.smugmug.com/Photography/PoF-Chino-2013/i-4JSZ2gP/0/XL/20130505-Canon%20EOS-1D%20X-1DX_1124-XL.jpg

IMAGE: http://julianchen.smugmug.com/Photography/PoF-Chino-2013/i-vCpKF9W/0/XL/20130505-Canon%20EOS-1D%20X-1DX_1201-XL.jpg

Julian

yipDog ­ Studios
Goldmember
1,579 posts
Joined Nov 2012
Mesa, AZ
May 06, 2013 23:37 |  #11

Saber's one of my favorite all time! Great grab!

www.yipdogstudios.comexternal link http://yipdog.smugmug.​comexternal link
1Dx, 5D mk3, 70D, C100, glass for all occasions, and a studio full of support gear!

seaninsa
Goldmember
1,528 posts
Joined Sep 2011
May 07, 2013 12:36 |  #12

You are lucky you went on Sunday Julian. The 86 on the Korean re-enactment had to RTB for mechanical. That is the thing about this show, you almost have to go both days.

jwcdds
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
May 07, 2013 13:27 |  #13

seaninsa wrote in post #15907133external link
You are lucky you went on Sunday Julian. The 86 on the Korean re-enactment had to RTB for mechanical. That is the thing about this show, you almost have to go both days.

Hehe... the 86 actually didn't partake on the dog-fighting on Sunday. It took off, but didn't do any manuevers with the other planes and then landed.

It did do a couple of flybys earlier.

Julian

sponsored links

2,855 views & 0 likes for this thread
Planes of Fame, 2013
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.