Wedding photography Speedlite, Lighting

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 07 May 2013 (Tuesday) 10:31   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Jaynez
Joined Jul 2010
763 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hello fellow photographers, haven't post for a while.
I'm not a wedding photographer, but a friend is asking me to take care of her wedding.. this is what i plan to use.

+Primary Shooter
-Canon 5D Mark II
-24-70L
-Canon 85 1.8

+Second shooter
-Canon 60D
-Sigma 30 1.4
-Canon 85 1.8

My question is about Lighting, i will only cover the dinner part, inside a restaurant, not decent light, pretty dark place.. so i have to take a 580EX II or 600EX speedlite with me, and planning to setup an elinchrom D-lite 4 IT in a fixed location with rotalux 135mm octa softbox..

1. So what are your suggestions to improve what i have ?
2. What kind of portable light modifier for speedlite (softbox, only reflector or naked speedlite ?)you use for event ?

I found this one http://www.ebay.com ...users&hash=item4d04​28d413external link looks pretty decent ..

Post #1, May 07, 2013 10:31:22

5D Mark II | 6D
24-70mm F2.8L | 17-40mm F4L | Canon 85mm F1.8 USM | Elinchrom D-Lite 4 IT

Flickexternal link | Facebookexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
7,127 posts
Metro Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

Monolights with softboxes are not desirable lighting for wedding receptions. Too big and cumbersome.
If its like most restaurant receptions space will be at a premium.

Bounce the speedlite off the walls, higher ISO to keep shutter reasonable.

A second speedlite on a stand can be a help. Here is a gallery with images from a wedding I did in a small neighborhood last summer. Not bright but it was afternoon so probably more light than your situation. I had a speedlite on a stand against the wall and one on the camera bounced off the wall. Outside it was just the speedlite for fill or the speedlite on the stand through an umbrella. http://www.dmwfotos.co​m/weddings/galleries/m​organjoy/external link

Remember, the first priority is to get pictures that capture the day for the couple. As photographers we want to make the light interesting, they want to see their friends faces smiling and having fun.

Post #2, May 07, 2013 18:13:35

David | digifotografi tutorialsexternal link | dmwfotos websiteexternal link

The ­ Loft ­ Studios
Joined Oct 2009
988 posts
Houston, Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

One speedlite on camera (main light), one speedlite in the corner (rim/back light).....

Post #3, May 08, 2013 05:27:37 as a reply to dmward's post 11 hours earlier.

MARK

npompei
Joined Nov 2007
542 posts
Warrington, PA
[MORE/SHARE]

I put a 530exii in ETTL on camera and 2 - 430exii's in Manual on stands shooting thru umbrellas. I really liked the umbrellas after this past weekends wedding. I used to shoot bare or bounce but the umbrella's worked out well.

Post #4, May 08, 2013 06:27:16

www.nickpompei.comexternal link
Flickrexternal link
Canon 5d3-gripped / Canon 5d / 530 EXII (1) / 430EXII (3) / Tamron 17-35 (2.8-4.0) / Canon 35L / Canon 50 (1.4) / Sigma 85 (1.4) / Canon 70-200(2.8)IS

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
7,127 posts
Metro Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

I carry umbrellas and other modifiers but find that I seldom bother using them. Most often the stand lights are far enough away and acting as kickers and the harder shadows are not a bother.

If I'm using the lights in close then the umbrellas go on. i.e. portraits, small groups.

Post #5, May 08, 2013 08:22:37

sponsored links
say_cheese
Joined Mar 2006
733 posts
Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

Jaynez wrote in post #15906684external link
Hello fellow photographers, haven't post for a while.
I'm not a wedding photographer, but a friend is asking me to take care of her wedding.. this is what i plan to use.

+Primary Shooter
-Canon 5D Mark II
-24-70L
-Canon 85 1.8

+Second shooter
-Canon 60D
-Sigma 30 1.4
-Canon 85 1.8

My question is about Lighting, i will only cover the dinner part, inside a restaurant, not decent light, pretty dark place.. so i have to take a 580EX II or 600EX speedlite with me, and planning to setup an elinchrom D-lite 4 IT in a fixed location with rotalux 135mm octa softbox..

1. So what are your suggestions to improve what i have ?
2. What kind of portable light modifier for speedlite (softbox, only reflector or naked speedlite ?)you use for event ?

I found this one http://www.ebay.com ...users&hash=item4d04​28d413external link looks pretty decent ..

Take the speedlites with you and leave the studio strobe in the studio.

Post #6, May 08, 2013 21:04:26

Tools: I like things with real dials and knobs.

smorter
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2007
4,466 posts
Melbourne, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

I carry 2 X 580EXII with me but rarely use them for anything other than the reception

And if the lighting is good at the reception sometimes I don't use them the whole night

agree on the studio strobes, not enough time to mess around with them

Post #7, May 08, 2013 21:22:42

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

CxThree
Joined May 2009
713 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

On Camera bounced flash should do well for you in most receptions. The more things you setup in the room, the greater your risk of problems. Stay compact, speedy, and unrestricted to roam and you will have your best chance of success.

Post #8, May 08, 2013 21:41:24

Canon EOS 5D MKIII, 7D
Canon Lenses : 70-200 F2.8L II IS : 24-105 F4L IS : 16-35 F2.8L : 50mm F1.4 : 85mm F1.8 : 100mm F2.8 Macro : 10-22mm
4x 600EX-RT
Speedotron Black Line

Jerb
Joined Jan 2011
105 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I've only done a couple of weddings now but this is largely how I've lit them:

Pre-ceremony: 2nd shooter holds an alienbee with a beauty dish while shooter #1 gets posed shots. Speedlights are set as slave and used as fill/key/rim/snooted light as need be.

Ceremony: Except in a couple of rare circumstances, each shooter has 2 bodies and each body has a speedlight. We normally shoot manual to make editing easier.

Reception: 2 alien bee's on 13' stands and sandbagged in the corners of the reception hall up high and pointed up and towards the dance floor. Shooter #1 uses triggers on both his bodies which will trigger the bee's. Shooter #2 uses speedlights so we get a good mix of images for the final album.

Post #9, May 09, 2013 17:34:07

Gripped 7D // Gripped 5Dc // Gripped 5D mkIII ||50mm 1.4 | 85mm 1.8 |135L | 10-22 | 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 IS | Alien Bees B800 x2 | Alien Bees B400 x2| Waay too many Cybersync Triggers | 6x Yongnuo YN-560 II

CxThree
Joined May 2009
713 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Congrats on finding locations where you can shoot the ceremony with lighting. In the south(Charlotte, nc) most weddings are in large churches and flash is not allowed.

Post #10, May 09, 2013 18:24:22

Canon EOS 5D MKIII, 7D
Canon Lenses : 70-200 F2.8L II IS : 24-105 F4L IS : 16-35 F2.8L : 50mm F1.4 : 85mm F1.8 : 100mm F2.8 Macro : 10-22mm
4x 600EX-RT
Speedotron Black Line

Jaynez
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2010
763 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thank You all for your tips.. I have only one studio strobe and one speedlite (Need to order one online, 600ex or 580EX II) the Speedlite will be on my Hotshoe all night for sure,, still looking a good way to trigger my elinchrom D-lite 4 IT if i want to take it with me, and use it as my Fill Light, the speedlite will be my key light..
The reason i want to locate my strobe on a fixed location is because there's a big stage inside the restaurant, so i want to locate it there bounce to the roof and use my speedlite as key light, so i can get pretty good light in such dark place.

Post #11, May 09, 2013 18:35:47

5D Mark II | 6D
24-70mm F2.8L | 17-40mm F4L | Canon 85mm F1.8 USM | Elinchrom D-Lite 4 IT

Flickexternal link | Facebookexternal link

sponsored links
dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
7,127 posts
Metro Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

Just remember that a light bounced off the ceiling is going to create deep eye shadows. If possible find a wall someplace that will not be in pictures and bounce the monolight off the seam between the wall and ceiling. That gives you a directional light to use along with ambient and the speedlite.

Also, consider the light fall off from the strobe's location. That will mean relatively hot for some areas of the room and less for others. (Which is why I moved away from strobes to speedlites and ETTL.) :-)

Post #12, May 09, 2013 19:24:05

VascoF1
Joined Dec 2011
23 posts
Mississauga Ontario
[MORE/SHARE]

dmward wrote in post #15916209external link
Just remember that a light bounced off the ceiling is going to create deep eye shadows. If possible find a wall someplace that will not be in pictures and bounce the monolight off the seam between the wall and ceiling. That gives you a directional light to use along with ambient and the speedlite.

Also, consider the light fall off from the strobe's location. That will mean relatively hot for some areas of the room and less for others. (Which is why I moved away from strobes to speedlites and ETTL.) :-)

Is your off camera flash in Ettl as well or just the on camera flash?

Post #13, May 09, 2013 20:14:17

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
7,127 posts
Metro Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

VascoF1 wrote in post #15916314external link
Is your off camera flash in Ettl as well or just the on camera flash?

With 600EX-RTs I can have each speedlite ETTL and in its own group so I have complete control over the way the lights interact.

This makes it much easier to keep relationships that I want for the lighting from a given angle.

Post #14, May 09, 2013 22:39:53

Shooting
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
1,469 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

CxThree wrote in post #15912958external link
On Camera bounced flash should do well for you in most receptions. The more things you setup in the room, the greater your risk of problems. Stay compact, speedy, and unrestricted to roam and you will have your best chance of success.

I agree. Plus if you have extra flashes in the room, the closer people are to them when you shoot, they will be totally blown out and if you shoot people at a certain distance they will be underexposed. Keep it simple, flash on camera and bounce when you can will be fine.

Post #15, May 11, 2013 10:33:22

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,926 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wedding photography Speedlite, Lighting
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES