Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th of May 2013 (Tue)   #1
Jaynez

Default Wedding photography Speedlite, Lighting

Hello fellow photographers, haven't post for a while.
I'm not a wedding photographer, but a friend is asking me to take care of her wedding.. this is what i plan to use.

+Primary Shooter
-Canon 5D Mark II
-24-70L
-Canon 85 1.8

+Second shooter
-Canon 60D
-Sigma 30 1.4
-Canon 85 1.8

My question is about Lighting, i will only cover the dinner part, inside a restaurant, not decent light, pretty dark place.. so i have to take a 580EX II or 600EX speedlite with me, and planning to setup an elinchrom D-lite 4 IT in a fixed location with rotalux 135mm octa softbox..

1. So what are your suggestions to improve what i have ?
2. What kind of portable light modifier for speedlite (softbox, only reflector or naked speedlite ?)you use for event ?

I found this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINI-SOFT-BO...item4d0428d413 looks pretty decent ..

Flickr | Facebook

Last edited by Jaynez : 7th of May 2013 (Tue) at 11:33.
Jaynez is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 7th of May 2013 (Tue)   #2
dmward
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Wedding photography Speedlite, Lighting

Monolights with softboxes are not desirable lighting for wedding receptions. Too big and cumbersome.
If its like most restaurant receptions space will be at a premium.

Bounce the speedlite off the walls, higher ISO to keep shutter reasonable.

A second speedlite on a stand can be a help. Here is a gallery with images from a wedding I did in a small neighborhood last summer. Not bright but it was afternoon so probably more light than your situation. I had a speedlite on a stand against the wall and one on the camera bounced off the wall. Outside it was just the speedlite for fill or the speedlite on the stand through an umbrella. http://www.dmwfotos.com/weddings/galleries/morganjoy/

Remember, the first priority is to get pictures that capture the day for the couple. As photographers we want to make the light interesting, they want to see their friends faces smiling and having fun.

Last edited by dmward : 7th of May 2013 (Tue) at 19:28.
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of May 2013 (Wed)   #3
The Loft Studios

One speedlite on camera (main light), one speedlite in the corner (rim/back light).....
Old 8th of May 2013 (Wed)   #4
npompei

I put a 530exii in ETTL on camera and 2 - 430exii's in Manual on stands shooting thru umbrellas. I really liked the umbrellas after this past weekends wedding. I used to shoot bare or bounce but the umbrella's worked out well.
npompei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of May 2013 (Wed)   #5
dmward
Cream of the Crop

I carry umbrellas and other modifiers but find that I seldom bother using them. Most often the stand lights are far enough away and acting as kickers and the harder shadows are not a bother.

If I'm using the lights in close then the umbrellas go on. i.e. portraits, small groups.
Old 8th of May 2013 (Wed)   #6
say_cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynez View Post
Hello fellow photographers, haven't post for a while.
I'm not a wedding photographer, but a friend is asking me to take care of her wedding.. this is what i plan to use.

+Primary Shooter
-Canon 5D Mark II
-24-70L
-Canon 85 1.8

+Second shooter
-Canon 60D
-Sigma 30 1.4
-Canon 85 1.8

My question is about Lighting, i will only cover the dinner part, inside a restaurant, not decent light, pretty dark place.. so i have to take a 580EX II or 600EX speedlite with me, and planning to setup an elinchrom D-lite 4 IT in a fixed location with rotalux 135mm octa softbox..

1. So what are your suggestions to improve what i have ?
2. What kind of portable light modifier for speedlite (softbox, only reflector or naked speedlite ?)you use for event ?

I found this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINI-SOFT-BO...item4d0428d413 looks pretty decent ..
Take the speedlites with you and leave the studio strobe in the studio.
Old 8th of May 2013 (Wed)   #7
smorter
Goldmember

I carry 2 X 580EXII with me but rarely use them for anything other than the reception

And if the lighting is good at the reception sometimes I don't use them the whole night

agree on the studio strobes, not enough time to mess around with them
Old 8th of May 2013 (Wed)   #8
CxThree

On Camera bounced flash should do well for you in most receptions. The more things you setup in the room, the greater your risk of problems. Stay compact, speedy, and unrestricted to roam and you will have your best chance of success.
Speedotron Black Line
CxThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of May 2013 (Thu)   #9
Jerb

I've only done a couple of weddings now but this is largely how I've lit them:

Pre-ceremony: 2nd shooter holds an alienbee with a beauty dish while shooter #1 gets posed shots. Speedlights are set as slave and used as fill/key/rim/snooted light as need be.

Ceremony: Except in a couple of rare circumstances, each shooter has 2 bodies and each body has a speedlight. We normally shoot manual to make editing easier.

Reception: 2 alien bee's on 13' stands and sandbagged in the corners of the reception hall up high and pointed up and towards the dance floor. Shooter #1 uses triggers on both his bodies which will trigger the bee's. Shooter #2 uses speedlights so we get a good mix of images for the final album.
Gripped 7D // Gripped 5Dc // Gripped 5D mkIII ||50mm 1.4 | 85mm 1.8 |135L | 10-22 | 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 IS | Alien Bees B800 x2 | Alien Bees B400 x2| Waay too many Cybersync Triggers | 6x Yongnuo YN-560 II
Jerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of May 2013 (Thu)   #10
CxThree

Congrats on finding locations where you can shoot the ceremony with lighting. In the south(Charlotte, nc) most weddings are in large churches and flash is not allowed.
Speedotron Black Line
CxThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of May 2013 (Thu)   #11
Jaynez

Thank You all for your tips.. I have only one studio strobe and one speedlite (Need to order one online, 600ex or 580EX II) the Speedlite will be on my Hotshoe all night for sure,, still looking a good way to trigger my elinchrom D-lite 4 IT if i want to take it with me, and use it as my Fill Light, the speedlite will be my key light..
The reason i want to locate my strobe on a fixed location is because there's a big stage inside the restaurant, so i want to locate it there bounce to the roof and use my speedlite as key light, so i can get pretty good light in such dark place.

Flickr | Facebook
Jaynez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of May 2013 (Thu)   #12
dmward
Cream of the Crop

Just remember that a light bounced off the ceiling is going to create deep eye shadows. If possible find a wall someplace that will not be in pictures and bounce the monolight off the seam between the wall and ceiling. That gives you a directional light to use along with ambient and the speedlite.

Also, consider the light fall off from the strobe's location. That will mean relatively hot for some areas of the room and less for others. (Which is why I moved away from strobes to speedlites and ETTL.)
Old 9th of May 2013 (Thu)   #13
VascoF1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmward View Post
Just remember that a light bounced off the ceiling is going to create deep eye shadows. If possible find a wall someplace that will not be in pictures and bounce the monolight off the seam between the wall and ceiling. That gives you a directional light to use along with ambient and the speedlite.

Also, consider the light fall off from the strobe's location. That will mean relatively hot for some areas of the room and less for others. (Which is why I moved away from strobes to speedlites and ETTL.)
Is your off camera flash in Ettl as well or just the on camera flash?
VascoF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of May 2013 (Thu)   #14
dmward
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by VascoF1 View Post
Is your off camera flash in Ettl as well or just the on camera flash?
With 600EX-RTs I can have each speedlite ETTL and in its own group so I have complete control over the way the lights interact.

This makes it much easier to keep relationships that I want for the lighting from a given angle.
Old 11th of May 2013 (Sat)   #15
Shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CxThree View Post
On Camera bounced flash should do well for you in most receptions. The more things you setup in the room, the greater your risk of problems. Stay compact, speedy, and unrestricted to roam and you will have your best chance of success.
I agree. Plus if you have extra flashes in the room, the closer people are to them when you shoot, they will be totally blown out and if you shoot people at a certain distance they will be underexposed. Keep it simple, flash on camera and bounce when you can will be fine.
Shooting is offline   Reply With Quote