Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th of May 2013 (Sun)   #1
inernets

Default Events - Carrying 2 cameras for multiple hours straight

Hello all, i have been shooting a lot of indoor events where i am using my blackrapid dual camera strap to carry 2 cameras at once and it's just getting killer on my back/shoulders. I have been shooting for 3-4 hours straight at a time and i'm wondering if there is something else i could be doing.

With my 5D II, 24-105 and flash on one, the other is a 1D III and an 85mm or another zoom, it gets painful after 2-3 hours. I'm using the blackrapid double (DR-1) and wondering what other event photographers use. I'm guessing this is the best option, only other thing i can think of is having a bag nearby or on me/on hip or belt with another camera.

I guess i should also be working out more, i need to tone up and do more upper body workouts, i feel pretty weak up top (even though i'm a bigger guy).
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 12th of May 2013 (Sun)   #2
tvphotog
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Events - Carrying 2 cameras for multiple hours straight

I have used the Lowpro harness in the below photo to carry those cameras for three hours in hikes in the Galapagos, and recently did the same thing in Ireland.

The other vest below is the current Lowepro version, with D rings higher up near the shoulders, when gets the cameras more up to waist level with the OpTech straps used in the other photo. I think that's more comfortable for walking, but I don't know how easily the weight is distributed across the shoulders.

The harness that I have is no longer made. I have two extra ones as backups as the shoulder yoke is very comfortable and I want to be able to use it for a long time. Also, the newer one has a solid back and is confining on hot days.

The utility belt is the same in both cases. Both have Molle style loops for small accessories such as a flashlight and pocktet knife, cell phone holder, battery pouches, etc.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lowepro vest (2).jpg (130.1 KB, 351 views)
"Ireland in Word and Image" Jay Ben Images 5D III | 5D II | 7D | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400L | 16-35 f/2.8L II | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L| 35mm f/1.4L | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins lever QR | Gitzo 3542L | Gitzo 5561T

Last edited by tvphotog : 12th of May 2013 (Sun) at 19:03.
tvphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of May 2013 (Sun)   #3
baj2k

Damn, that's awesome... you look ready for Everest or Afghanistan... and all points in between... does it have optional Kevlar inserts
All for sale - PM me for info: Canon 17-40mm /4L (refurb) | Sigma 35mm /1.4 "Art" with USB Dock | Sigma 50mm /1.4 | Zeiss Planar 1.7/50 T* | Rokinon 24mm /1.4 | Canon EF 2x III (refurb)| Canon 580EX II | Giottos MM9170 Monopod | Manfrotto Mg MH054M0-Q2 Ballhead | BNIB Lee Big Stopper

Last edited by baj2k : 12th of May 2013 (Sun) at 22:53.
baj2k is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 12th of May 2013 (Sun)   #4
gakoenig

Quote:
Damn, that's awesome... you look ready for Everest or Afghanistan... and all points in between... does it have optional Kevlar inserts
A zipper down the thoracic cavity isn't exactly good protection. And nobody uses Kevlar in Afghanistan, you gotta step up to the ceramic plates!

Testing rig from my other job making parts for people who jump out of helicopters:

Old 12th of May 2013 (Sun)   #5
stevolution

+1 for the Lowepro S&F series. I'm running a setup similar to tvphotog, but I use the harness with a belt instead of the vest.
Old 13th of May 2013 (Mon)   #6
sonnyc
Cream of the Crop

I used to have two BR straps but my shoulders and back hurt after a long day. I switched to SpiderPro Holster and they are much bettet.
Old 13th of May 2013 (Mon)   #7
Echo63
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyc View Post
I used to have two BR straps but my shoulders and back hurt after a long day. I switched to SpiderPro Holster and they are much bettet.
I found the same - the Spiderholster gets the weight off your shoulders, and transfers it to your hips (where the load should be)

only issue is if you have no hips or bum, then the belt will slide down
Old 13th of May 2013 (Mon)   #8
tvphotog
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by baj2k View Post
It's the same yoke that's used in some military vests. Perhaps that's why the shoulders are so padded and comfortable.
"Ireland in Word and Image" Jay Ben Images 5D III | 5D II | 7D | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400L | 16-35 f/2.8L II | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L| 35mm f/1.4L | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins lever QR | Gitzo 3542L | Gitzo 5561T
Old 14th of May 2013 (Tue)   #9
inernets

Thanks for the replies! I was a little sad no one replied after the first day. I actually have the lowepro vest (the newer one that you pictured below) and attach my blackrapid to that and use the vest to hold an umbrella if its raining (shoving the umbrella handle into the right breast inside pocket.

I THOUGHT about attaching the cameras directly to the D rings, but never tried it. For my job i can get away with wearing a vest like that luckily.

I will have to experiement with my lowepro vest, trying to figure out how to get a camera attached to the D rings. Do you really think they can hold a 1D III and 100-400 for daily use?

As for the spider holster, i am really thinking about getting one of those. I may have to shoot with 3 cameras at one time coming up soon and that could help out a lot, will look more into that.
Old 14th of May 2013 (Tue)   #10
inernets

Anyone know if you can get a spider holster that attaches to say your belt loup? I'm wondering if i can get one of those and attach it to my lowepro vest/belt
Old 14th of May 2013 (Tue)   #11
BrickR
Cream of the Crop

I picked up a B grip evo. I gotta say, like the spider holster does, I preferred having the second camera on my hip instead of on a strap. Using an Optech sling with a quick disconnect, I just swapped cameras when needed.

I didn't like the two sling type straps because you end up with one camera swinging around and potentially bumping into stuff. A holster keeps it in one place and close to you.

My .02
Old 14th of May 2013 (Tue)   #12
RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop

I use an OPTECH Dual Harness. Inexpensive, lightweight and supports two cameras + lenses across the shoulders. I also like that each camera is secured with two independent straps. If one strap should fail (or be cut by a cut and snatch thief) the camera will still be secure...

As far as a Black Rapid type of strap, I don't think that tripod sockets were designed to carry the weight of a camera + lens upside down...
EQUIPMENT: Two Canon 7D cameras plus Canon D60 camera modified for full-time IR; Tokina 12-24mm f/4, 50mm f/1.8 Mark-I, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro, 135mm f/2.8 Soft Focus, 70-200mm f/4L IS, 300mm f/4L IS, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses;
RPCrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of May 2013 (Tue)   #13
tvphotog
Cream of the Crop

These are the Op/Tech connectors that I used, two on each camera.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a2079151282cb1d9118056_m[1].jpg (28.2 KB, 224 views)
Old 14th of May 2013 (Tue)   #14
gakoenig

Quote:
As far as a Black Rapid type of strap, I don't think that tripod sockets were designed to carry the weight of a camera + lens upside down...
People have been saying that for *years* now, ever since Black Rapid popularized the concept in 2008. By my estimate, there are at least 100,000 bottom mount camera straps in the field by now (BR is huge, but you've got us, Carry Speed, Boss, Sun Sniper, Spider, Capture Clips, Custom SLR...). If there really was a systemic issue with carrying a camera upside down from the tripod socket, the internet would be absolutely awash in horror stories of expensive gear getting ruined by now.

Yet how many tripod socket failures have been reported across all the forums so far? Zero.

The closest you can find is one low serial number Nikon D800 on a BR strap that got dorked up in a way that, I believe, shows it to have been defective from the factory. A failure that has never been seen before nor since, and I know of a LOT of D800s riding on these straps (including 3 here at Luma).

If anything, the market is expanding rapidly with the big, well-funded companies getting in on the gig. RRS now has a clamp designed expressly for camera straps out. Joby (a subsidiary of Lowepro) has their UltraFit sling. Neither Lowepro or RRS are small, cottage industry outfits - they have big R&D budgets, legal departments and direct lines to Nikon, Canon and Sony engineering teams.
Old 15th of May 2013 (Wed)   #15
philpeterson

I had an issue with a 1st generation Black Rapid attachment coming loose which resulted in my camera hiting the floor and breaking a lens. I replaced the hardware with their current generation and have had no issues.

I cover multi-day sports tournaments where I'm on my feet for 10 - 12 hours a day carrying a pro body and 70-200 lens attached to a BR strap. I've found that the better shape I'm in, the less sore I get. Also, good shoes help A LOT.

Canon 1D4 | Canon 1D3 | Canon 5D3 with grip | Canon 16-35mm f2.8 MKII | Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS MKII | Canon 300mm f2.8 IS MKI | Canon 50mm f1.4 | Canon 85mm f1.8 | 4 Canon 580EX II | Gigapan Epic Pro
philpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote