Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th of May 2013 (Wed)   #1
KitzKlikz

Arrow Will the Canon ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter work in Hi Sync ?

Hi Guys anyone can solve this mystery for me ? .. does the Canon ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter work in hi sync & ettl ii & all its functions with a canon 6d and speedlites 600 ex rt ?
As i found this on the net which is making me step back from purchasing it -

Compatible Cameras : Type A EOS cameras (E-TTL II/E-TTL autoflash)
Sync Speed : High-Speed Sync provided (EOS-1D X and EOS 5D Mark III only)

Thanks

Keith
Old 15th of May 2013 (Wed)   #2
aliengin

Default Re: Will the Canon ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter work in Hi Sync ?

isn't Canon 6D newer than 1Dx and 5D III? If I were you i would call Canon and confirm. My understanding was it is compatible with the "new" canon bodies in this case 6D should be included but I am NOT 100% sure!
Old 15th of May 2013 (Wed)   #3
KitzKlikz

that was my thinkin too .. since it`s a new body , everything should work out fine ...
Old 15th of May 2013 (Wed)   #4
jlambe

I automatically assumed it would be fully functional with all new bodies so don't see why not.
Old 15th of May 2013 (Wed)   #5
timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop

All the functions seem to work with the 6D, including HSS.
timnosenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of May 2013 (Wed)   #6
dmward
Cream of the Crop

According to Syl Arena, via personal testing, it works with EOS-M, which implies that it will work with all 2012 and newer cameras. I think that's what the Canon manuals say as well.
Old 16th of May 2013 (Thu)   #7
Nick5
Goldmember

The 6D takes advantage of all the features of the ST-E3 and 600 EX-RT system.
HSS does work along with camera sync speed on the 7D.
Canon 5D Mark III, BG-E11 Grip, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 10-22, 17-40 f/4 L, 17-55 f/2.8 IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 4 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer
Nick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of May 2013 (Thu)   #8
KitzKlikz

Thanks guys ... you pushed me up to order it
Old 18th of May 2013 (Sat)   #9
Submariner
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick5 View Post
The 6D takes advantage of all the features of the ST-E3 and 600 EX-RT system.
HSS does work along with camera sync speed on the 7D.
High Nick5
Canon told me the ST-E3 and 600EX RT would not do HSS and would drop the /sync speed on a 7D to 1 stop less i.e. 1/250 drops to 1/125 sec synch speed.
To perform properly it and the 600 3ex needs a 2012 and onward camera eg 1DX or 5D3

May I ask are you sure - very important to me?
Canon EOS 5D Mk III, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x2, YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens GM500R, Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold 7D, EF 50mm F1.8 , 430 EX Mk II
Submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of May 2013 (Sat)   #10
Nick5
Goldmember

I have been using the 7D with the ST-E3 and 600 EX-RT's for over a year now.
Never had a problem with sync speed of 1/250 on any of my images. Never had a problem using HSS too.
You will see the the TV icon warning show up on your master ST-E3 when shutter is 160, 200 and 250th. However, all images are fine regarding banding issue associated with shutter speed above camera sync speed.
Still have not heard from Canon as to why this misinformation is still in print.
Besides myself, several other Canon CPS members I know and Syl Arena who travelers the country with wonderful Speedliting Intensives, have all supported our conclusions above.
Unfortunately, GROUP will not work on the 2011 cameras and prior. This a feature that I miss on my 7D. Guess I have to get on the Good List for Christmas this year.
Canon 5D Mark III, BG-E11 Grip, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 10-22, 17-40 f/4 L, 17-55 f/2.8 IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 4 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer
Nick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of May 2013 (Sat)   #11
Submariner
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick5 View Post
I have been using the 7D with the ST-E3 and 600 EX-RT's for over a year now.
Never had a problem with sync speed of 1/250 on any of my images. Never had a problem using HSS too.
You will see the the TV icon warning show up on your master ST-E3 when shutter is 160, 200 and 250th. However, all images are fine regarding banding issue associated with shutter speed above camera sync speed.
Still have not heard from Canon as to why this misinformation is still in print.
Besides myself, several other Canon CPS members I know and Syl Arena who travelers the country with wonderful Speedliting Intensives, have all supported our conclusions above.
Unfortunately, GROUP will not work on the 2011 cameras and prior. This a feature that I miss on my 7D. Guess I have to get on the Good List for Christmas this year.
Thanks so much Nick, as long as I dont get banding at 1/250 using Ettl II,thats great for me!
What did you mean by "This is a feature that I miss on my 7D. "?
Was it that groups wont work on the 7D? Surely you can have basic groups A.b.&c ? With basic ratios?

Really don't see why they won't check out the 7d to work with the 600 exrt , and update the literature,
Just confused here. Now that there is no 580ex ii ; surely they want to sell Speedlite s, and I assume they don't expect us to alll throw away any camera pre 2012?
If so why bother waste the time upgrading the 7D firmware to ver 2.0 ?
Canon EOS 5D Mk III, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x2, YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens GM500R, Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold 7D, EF 50mm F1.8 , 430 EX Mk II

Last edited by Submariner : 18th of May 2013 (Sat) at 23:51.
Submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of May 2013 (Sun)   #12
dwdallam

I read where the STE3 and 600RT flash guns will do HSS to 1/8000th with the 1DSMKIII. However, the Canon Flash system will not do second curtain off camera with any body no matter what. It is incapable of 2nd curtain wireless.
dwdallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of June 2013 (Sun)   #13
KitzKlikz

600Rt s arrived and they worked in HSS with my 6d & St E3

Thanks for your help
Old 2nd of June 2013 (Sun)   #14
dwdallam

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitzKlikz View Post
600Rt s arrived and they worked in HSS with my 6d & St E3

Thanks for your help
They will work in HSS with all cameras think, or at least most of them. The problem is that after you go over (on most cameras, some older ones seem to work, but I cannot confirm that) one stop below your camera's sync speed--you automatically go into HSS. So with a camera that has a sync speed of 1/250th you would be limited to a shutter speed of 1/125th--unless you go into HSS mode. The problem is that HSS greatly shortens the distance of the flash and eats power like wolves eat rabbits.

I finally made the decision to buy one 600RT (I needed a fourth flash) and buy a second set of Odins. So now I have one extra Odin TCU and one extra Odin Receiver. the 580EXIIs I have work as well as the 600 and I cannot justify the upgrade. So now I have triple back up: One STE2 and two Odin TCUs + one extra receiver.

Total cost of while having 4 flashes (1100.00)

If I had bought totally into the Canon system that would have been 4x 500+ for the flashes at over 2200.00 ish. I just could not justify that plus the reduced flexibility of the Canon system. (I use the Odins to trip studio and a mixture of studio and Canon flash units.)
dwdallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of June 2013 (Sun)   #15
agv8or

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdallam View Post
They will work in HSS with all cameras think, or at least most of them. The problem is that after you go over (on most cameras, some older ones seem to work, but I cannot confirm that) one stop below your camera's sync speed--you automatically go into HSS. So with a camera that has a sync speed of 1/250th you would be limited to a shutter speed of 1/125th--unless you go into HSS mode. The problem is that HSS greatly shortens the distance of the flash and eats power like wolves eat rabbits.

I finally made the decision to buy one 600RT (I needed a fourth flash) and buy a second set of Odins. So now I have one extra Odin TCU and one extra Odin Receiver. the 580EXIIs I have work as well as the 600 and I cannot justify the upgrade. So now I have triple back up: One STE2 and two Odin TCUs + one extra receiver.

Total cost of while having 4 flashes (1100.00)

If I had bought totally into the Canon system that would have been 4x 500+ for the flashes at over 2200.00 ish. I just could not justify that plus the reduced flexibility of the Canon system. (I use the Odins to trip studio and a mixture of studio and Canon flash units.)
Not so! Your flash system will not automatically go into HSS unless you have enabled HSS and the cameras shutter speed is set above the max sync speed of the camera. Even with HSS enabled the flash system will still function in normal flash (non HSS) until you set a shutter speed at least 1/3 stop faster than the cameras max sync speed. For my 5DmII I need to set a shutter speed of 1/250 before I get HSS. I get the little warning icon <!Tv> but HSS does NOT automatically kick in one stop below max sync speed even with HSS enabled. The warning icon <!Tv> is present on the 5DmII at shutter speeds of 1/125, 1/160 and 1/200 to warn you that you are not completely syncing with the flash but the flash does NOT go into HSS. At shutter speeds from max sync speed down to one stop slower than max sync you get a slight shadowing of the lower portion of the image frame from the rear curtain closing but it is not very noticeable except when shooting white eraser boards.

EDIT: The first 3 images were all shot with a 5D mII, ST-E3-RT as master and a 600EX-RT as slave with the flash bounced off the wall behind me. The flash mode was manual at 1/1 (full) power and HSS was enabled for all images. All images were shot at f/4 and ISO 100 and only shutter speed was changed. 1st image 1/100 (1/2 max sync): you can see the flash synced with the shutter and we have a nice clean image. 2nd image 1/200 (max sync): we are having some sync issues and lower portion of the frame is shadowing but so far the flash is still in normal flash (NO HSS). 3rd image 1/250 (1/3 stop more than max sync): we have clearly lost about 2 full stops of flash power due to HSS with only 1/3 stop increase in shutter speed.

Edit II: This second set of images were all shot with the 5D mII, ST-E3-RT as master and a 600EX-RT as slave on a light stand direct flash (no modifier) zoomed to 50mm. The flash was in manual mode with flash power 1/1 (full) and HSS was enabled for all shots. An ISO of 50 and f/11 aperture was used for all images. In the first 3 images the flash was 7 feet from the subject and in the last image the flash was moved to 3 1/2 feet to make up for the about 2 stop loss of HSS. In the first 2 images the exposure on the subject face is the same which means that HSS, although enabled, was not used by the system. In the third and fourth images HSS was used as the shutter speed was set to 1/250 (1/3 stop faster than max sync).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hsswhtbrd.jpg (149.5 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg HSS5dmIIrwimages.jpg (142.3 KB, 104 views)

Gear

Last edited by agv8or : 2nd of June 2013 (Sun) at 21:45.
agv8or is offline   Reply With Quote