Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 18 May 2013 (Saturday) 21:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photoshop, RAM, and scratch disc?

SmokeySiFy
463 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2011

May 18, 2013 21:47 |  #1

System:

i5-2500k
Win7 64 bit
16GB ram (was 8GB before today)
60GB SSD for programs and scratch use
external usb hd for storage (I keep all photo files on there and don't move them to the ssd when working on them)

So as I have started to use more advanced post processing workflows in photoshop which can lead me to a document with MANY layers, I kept running into out of memory errors when trying to save or crop, probably some other things too. My computer even just went black a few times forcing me to force power down. I have plenty of space (30 gig) available on the SSD and I thught ps would just use that when it ran out of memory. Since my task manager was routinely showing me using 7+ gigs of ram when running ps, I decided to buy 8 more gigs today.

I installed the 8 gigs, and was able to work on the large panorama I had been trying to work with, and was causing the computer to black out. Was able to do the crop that was crashing my system. Also found that with the document open, I was up to 14 gigs of ram being used in no time. I decided to save and reboot ps to try to clear some of the memory usage as I had done before the upgrade to get through memory bottle necks and optimize the document to reduce memory load. And I got a damn out of memory error. Luckily quitting chrome and bridge freed up enough memory to allow me to save. What I really don't get though, is why doesn't it just use the scratch disc and get on with it?

Now I'm wondering if I didn't just waste my money and should have instead just gone for 32GB of ram, but that would have been like 2.5x more money. Although, put that way, it would have been a 4x increase in ram. Alas, I don't plan on upgrading the ram again any time soon. Would getting a standalone gpu card help me out here? Would ps be using the ram on the video card?

500px Gallery (external link) -- Critique is OK: Feel free to critique any image I post
ChrisMeierPhotograpghy​.com (external link)

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,908 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 19, 2013 00:03 |  #2

Make sure you have Photoshop set to use no more than 70% of RAM. Maybe only 50%, if you have other programs at the same time. You need to leave space for the OS, programs, etc. What is it set on?

Also download the free MemTextx86 to test your RAM.

I have an i7-2600K, 16GB RAM. I don't work on massive documents often, but I have, and I've never had PS crash or complain about memory.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

SmokeySiFy
THREAD ­ STARTER
463 posts
Joined Oct 2011

May 19, 2013 09:50 |  #3

I have it set to use 95% of ram, but that should leave enough for the other programs I have open, no? Will lowering the ram allowed force it to use the scratch disc more and reduce my memory errors?

I'm pretty sure the ram is good, but maybe i'll run a test on it. I only have issues when I work on psd files over 1-1.25GB and when I use tools such as crop that take a lot of ram.

500px Gallery (external link) -- Critique is OK: Feel free to critique any image I post

tim
Light Bringer
50,908 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 20, 2013 00:42 |  #4

Well there's your problem. 70% absolute max. Probably more like 50%. That leaves some space for OS, programs, disk cache, etc. Try it at 50% and see how it works, you can always tweak it up a bit later. Trust me enough to try it, it will only take a few minutes. Put scratch on an SSD if you have one.

Google a photoshop optimisation guide too. You can change things like history states that make it use less ram.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

SmokeySiFy
THREAD ­ STARTER
463 posts
Joined Oct 2011

May 20, 2013 02:21 |  #5

Thanks Tim, sorry I guess I just figured to give it access to as much ram as possible without causing the system to crash. I'm going to have to play around with it to see what is optimum for my system, but I think this may have been my original problem.

tim
Light Bringer
50,908 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 20, 2013 03:18 |  #6

Your logic makes sense, but you're probably causing it to swap to disk. It shouldn't crash though, it should just go slow. Give it a whirl, do try memtest x86 (it's free don't pay). Also try a stress test, prime95 overnight will really tax the memory and CPU, if it crashes that's a sign something's wrong.

Reno_LV
Goldmember
1,289 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 20, 2013 05:39 |  #7

I'm running i7, 16GB Ram and have SSD 120GB for programms and 6TB for other stuff and Nvidia 580GTX. I let photoshop use 99% memory and the only time I get the scratch disk is full message is when my file is huge with layers etc and SSD becomes overloaded, even if it is not 100% full. Reinstall CS to other HDD's and you should be fine. Even if photoshop will; use 100% of your ram, overload the cpu cores and even use GPU it will not crash, yet if the cache file (scracth disk) is full it won't even allow to save files.

Canon 5D mk III, Canon 7D, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L F2.8 IS mkII, Canon 135mm F2 L, Canon 300mm F2.8 IS L ,Canon 17-40 mm F4 USM L, Canon 50mm F1.2
L, Canon 85mm F1.2
http://reinisbphotogra​phy.blogspot.com/ (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,908 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 20, 2013 05:54 |  #8

If you let PS use effectively all your RAM it will just swap everything to disk. An SSD hides a lot of the negative performance impact of that. Still, it's not ideal. You may think all you're asking your computer to do is work on photoshop, but in the background it's doing a bunch of stuff you don't know about.

If nothing else is open 70-80% is probably about right. Like I said, google for a PS performance guide.

Keema
247 posts
Joined Feb 2012

May 20, 2013 07:21 |  #9

@Reno,

I have experienced 3 days back when I'm making a backdrop for my niece's bday party a error message from photoshop something like "max 2gb" blah blah blah..in short, I can't save that psd file. It's in 16bit format (I have accidentally setup'd it that way) and the height of the canvass is 50 inches with a width of 80 inches at 300 dpi.

Is your file .psd one is similar on that size/settings before you get the scratch disk full message?

I kinda agree with tim to not maxed it out and just use something like what he have said @ 50% or use the default one 60%.

I kinda notice it as well on some .psd files which are big in size like 800mb or so and with a lot of layers + "layer groups" once you load it up on photoshop even though it hasn't used all your RAM (for example mine is 16gb) the remaining space on my hdd (120gb ssd that has 73gb free space left) becomes less. I dont know why..

Does this happens as well on yours?

Reno_LV
Goldmember
1,289 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 20, 2013 10:44 |  #10

Depending on which HDD the CS is installed, it will use a temp cache file there (scratch disk) and sometimes I've noticed on large files, the files go up to a few GBs, but while working on it, it can be massive size, so my SSD always throws up that message, what I quickly do is move some stuff from SSD to other HDD's I have and work away just fine. Once the file is saved SSD space is normal again and it's ok. You can change it back to 8bit and see if there is any size difference. In all fairness just try setting useage to about 80% and at some stage try installing the CS on other HDD's. I only ever get that message with massive files, so it could be something else with your PC, but that would be my idea. Try working with smaller files and see if it is ok, check ssd space left, remove all temp files, try even 100% ram useage and see if you get errors.

Canon 5D mk III, Canon 7D, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L F2.8 IS mkII, Canon 135mm F2 L, Canon 300mm F2.8 IS L ,Canon 17-40 mm F4 USM L, Canon 50mm F1.2
L, Canon 85mm F1.2
http://reinisbphotogra​phy.blogspot.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,576 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photoshop, RAM, and scratch disc?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.