Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk
Thread started 09 Jun 2013 (Sunday) 23:37
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Heading to Sunriver/Bend Oregon

sdblade
66 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Jun 09, 2013 23:37 |  #1

I'm heading up to Bend and Sunriver at the end of July for a weeks vacation. Can anyone who is familiar with the area recommend not to be missed landscape opportunities? I will also be taking some long exposure nighttime skyscapes of anyone has any great locations that are car accessible with dark shoes. Thanks in advance.

sponsored links
Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,190 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Jun 10, 2013 10:00 |  #2

sdblade wrote in post #16015701external link
I'm heading up to Bend and Sunriver at the end of July for a weeks vacation. Can anyone who is familiar with the area recommend not to be missed landscape opportunities? I will also be taking some long exposure nighttime skyscapes of anyone has any great locations that are car accessible with dark shoes. Thanks in advance.

The Painted Hills are not to far from Bend, John Day Fossil Beds are near there as well.

sdblade
THREAD ­ STARTER
66 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Jun 10, 2013 11:15 as a reply to Littlejon Dsgn's post |  #3

Thanks for the response, I will research those places.

Anyone else?

WaltA
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
White Rock, BC, Canada
Jun 10, 2013 13:22 |  #4

Lots of locations on this website
http://www.americansou​thwest.net/oregon/inde​x.shtmlexternal link

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

Nightdiver13
Unabashed nerd!
2,272 posts
Joined May 2010
Bigfoot Country
Jun 10, 2013 13:41 |  #5

The whole stretch of Cascade Lakes Highway grants you access to all sorts of beautiful areas. Mountains include Mt Bachelor, Broken Top, the Three Sisters and more. All the lakes up there have their unique aspects, but my personal favorites are Devil's Lake for it's wonderful turquoise color, and the meadows of Sparks Lake. Those are both roadside attractions. If you're up for some hiking, Green Lakes and Moraine Lakes offer some great mountain backdrops. Word of warning: bring bug spray of some sort if you're visiting these lakes. The mosquitoes in July can be soooo bad.

For night time stuff, I'd still consider the Cascade Lakes Highway to be the best access point for that. The only light pollution you get out there will come from individual campers or resorts (if you get close enough). But it's easy to find an empty meadow with no man made lights in view to get some night shots.

Some other places I recommend that aren't in the immediate area are Smith Rocks State Park, and Newberry Caldera. The latter has a trail that takes you past some nice waterfalls (although not very large), and up to a couple really nice lakes and vistas of the surrounding areas. The former is pretty dramatic looking, and has a river running through that makes for the perfect refreshing dip in July.

A fantastic waterfall is Tumalo Falls, but as of now it's off limits due to some restoration work (I think). I'm not sure when it will re-open, but if it does, I'd try to make it out there. If you'd like to get a level view of Mt Bachelor for a shot, hike up Tumalo Mountain, which is directly across the road and gives the perfect vantage point.

Neil

sdblade
THREAD ­ STARTER
66 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Jun 10, 2013 16:37 as a reply to Nightdiver13's post |  #6

Great reply and more research for me.

Thanks!

woos
Goldmember
2,221 posts
Joined Dec 2008
a giant bucket
Jun 29, 2013 21:52 |  #7

Absolutely, glad that you asked. Older thread, but hey. Make sure you hit up:

1. Koosah Falls ( http://amanathia.zenfo​lio.com/img/s8/v0/p415​975895-6.jpgexternal link )

2. Sahalie Falls ( http://amanathia.zenfo​lio.com/img/s8/v0/p314​030905-6.jpgexternal link )

Optional but also good, is Proxy Falls. Most rate it higher than those, but imho it's not quite as good of viewing as the two above (here's my best shot of it: http://amanathia.zenfo​lio.com/img/s2/v51/p10​17093857-6.jpgexternal link )

amanathia.zenfolio.com

sdblade
THREAD ­ STARTER
66 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Jul 01, 2013 17:17 as a reply to woos's post |  #8

Great stuff!
Thanks

ArisPhoto
63 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Finland
Jan 01, 2014 09:54 |  #9

By a chance this old post come up. Those Black and white pictures by woos (Koosah falls & Proxy Falls) are absolutely fantastic!

Ariexternal link
Websiteexternal link |Facebookexternal link

sponsored links

1,202 views & 0 likes for this thread
Heading to Sunriver/Bend Oregon
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.