Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 27 Jun 2013 (Thursday) 12:28
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Lost My Monopod

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
7,588 posts
Joined Nov 2005
San Diego County, California, USA
Jun 27, 2013 12:28 |  #1

My monopod is somewhere in Croatia right now. I left it on a bus in Dubrovnik. I need to replace it. It was an excellent Calumet Carbon Fiber pod with a Kirk MPA-1 swivel head. This was all the monopod that I need since my heaviest load is a 7D + 400mm f/5.6L lens. Not exactly a back or monopod breaking weight.

Replacing the tripod will be pretty easy. Calumet has several house brand and Induro brand monopods which will fit my needs. Replacing the MPA-1 swivel head is a different matter since Kirk no longer supplies this head and has replaced it with the more robust (more expensive and heavier) MPA-2 swivel head. I really think that this is overkill for me...

I have an extra Arca Compatible lever clamp which I think I will install on a Manfrotto 234 swivel head. This should suit my needs.

The RRS heavy duty swivel head does not work for me, nor does th Sirui heavy duty head because the clamps are oriented so that I cannot use the clamp with an RRS L-bracket. The slots on either swivel head are oriented 90 degrees wrong and I don't believe that they can be changed.

There are Chinese copies of the Kirk MPA-2 on eBay for $85 U.S. Dollars. However, I can get a Manfrotto swive head (without quick release clamp) for around $28 USD. Since I already have a good A/C quick release clamp; that seems the way to go.

Anyone have other ideas??? Thanks...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

craig_k
203 posts
Joined Mar 2012
lubbock texas
Jun 27, 2013 12:42 |  #2

"The RRS heavy duty swivel head does not work for me, nor does th Sirui heavy duty head because the clamps are oriented so that I cannot use the clamp with an RRS L-bracket. The slots on either swivel head are oriented 90 degrees wrong and I don't believe that they can be changed."

rrs mh 01 or l-10 suri either one, they can be turned by loosening the screw that attatches it to the base with an allen wrench and rotated by hand to desired position.....the rrs mh-02 can be rotated by loosening the side screw to rotate base......i have rrs l plates on camera 7d bodies and rrs mh-02 on a rrs monopod and the sirui L10 on a sirui monopod that work just fine....with rrs L plates on the 7d or 50 d either one

feedback: [URL]http://photograph​y-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=15029315&postco​unt=36656
feedback: [URL]http://photograph​y-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=28608&page=25​83
feedback: [URL]http://photograph​y-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=28608&page=25​93
nice bodies, L-lenses, rrs, 1600 alien bees,pelican cases..."lots of try"

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2013
Temecula
Jun 27, 2013 13:16 |  #3

If you're looking to get a 6 section monopod Adoroma had the Gitzo GM3680C for a really good price(I think it's an old model that has a new replacement).

craig_k wrote in post #16070091external link
rrs mh 01 or l-10 suri either one, they can be turned by loosening the screw that attatches it to the base with an allen wrench and rotated by hand to desired position.....the rrs mh-02 can be rotated by loosening the side screw to rotate base......i have rrs l plates on camera 7d bodies and rrs mh-02 on a rrs monopod and the sirui L10 on a sirui monopod that work just fine....with rrs L plates on the 7d or 50 d either one

This might have been true with the older tilt heads(I've read this before), but mine is keyed. The key doesn't make it impossible to rotate 90°, RRS B2 Pro II clamp has the slots machined for both orientations or you could probably walk into any machine shop have then cut the slot for next to nothing. Take a look at the picture that shows bottom of the the clampsexternal link

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Jun 27, 2013 15:23 |  #4

I recently purchased a RRS monopod and MH-02 head. As Craig mentioned, it is easily rotated for different applications, i.e., lens plates, etc. Here is their verbiage: Integral clamp can be positioned in any one of four indexed stops. Simply loosen the Index Lock Knob, rotate the clamp, then tighten Index Lock Knob to secure. No tools necessary!

And here is the link: http://reallyrightstuf​f.com ...ndexing-Pro-Clamp&key=aitexternal link

I love the setup... smooth, easy to use. It's a nice complement to my TVC-34L tripod with BH-55 Pro ball head.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

ghost68
163 posts
Joined Jan 2012
Los Angeles
Jun 28, 2013 10:53 |  #5

I had to modify my Sirui head to rotate 90*... You have to make clearance for the locking pin as well as mill grooves for it to rotate... Stock it definitely does NOT rotate 90* (The model i have is the L-10 - LINKexternal link)

Smugmugexternal link

1,077 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lost My Monopod
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.