Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd of July 2013 (Tue)   #1
D 550D

Default Someone has to do it: 7d vs 70D

70D has just been announced. When we compare the specs with 7D, we see a lot of similarities (virtualy the same AF and frame rate). What surprised me was the fact that it's quiet reasonalby priced. It could have been worse. Price wise it is a direct competitor to the 7D.

Of course there are differences in features. 70D has tiltable touchscreen, Wifi and improved liveview AF. The 7d on the other hand has an important feature that 70D lacks - AFMA.

IQ wise 70D features an imrpved sensor with higher mp count which accounts for even higher pixel density. It also has the Digic V processor unlike the older model with its Digic IV. How does all that translate into High ISO performace only time and tests will tell...

I have a T2i at the moment and am looking at an upgrade, particularly due to AF for photography. Which one should I pick? he 7D offering me no gain in IQ, but much improved AF and with the help of AFMA, hopefully consistantly sharp images with fast lenses wide open.
Or should I take the 70D with probably marginally improved IQ but woth features I don't really care about?

550D|Sigma 18-35 1.8 Art|Sigma EX 70-200 OS|Nifty Fifty|Samyang 85 1.4|430 EX II|
D 550D is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 2nd of July 2013 (Tue)   #2
nellyle

Default Re: Someone has to do it: 7d vs 70D

Quote:
Originally Posted by D 550D View Post
The 7d on the other hand has an important feature that 70D lacks - AFMA.
Not read the specs then?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/68525435@N05/
nellyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of July 2013 (Tue)   #3
bfinta

I just read through the spec list. I didnt see any mention of af micro adjustment. I also was curious about AEB, whether it can do 7 shots or only 3.
Also no mention of weather sealing or shutter life durability from what i could see
bfinta is online now   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 2nd of July 2013 (Tue)   #4
nellyle

Have a read, Canons own words.

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Prod...specification4

https://www.flickr.com/photos/68525435@N05/
nellyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of July 2013 (Tue)   #5
TeamSpeed
Cream of the Crop

Regarding price comparisons, you cannot reasonably compare prices of a new 7D that is 4 years old to a newly announced camera. When the 7D first came out, it was $1700.

The best thing you can do is just wait out the release of the camera, and watch the reviews and comparisons that come out. My rule of thumb is usually to wait 1-2 months after a new camera has hit the streets before I decide to buy it. This gives time for the "honeymoon" to wear off.

My guess is that the AF won't be quite as good, as the 7D is still spec'd out better with its own dedicated AF processor, but the 70D will be about 1 stop better ISO, and very comparable to the 5D2. This new body could be nearly the perfect crop counterpart to the 6D, if it is 1 stop better.

Last edited by TeamSpeed : 2nd of July 2013 (Tue) at 06:21.
TeamSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of July 2013 (Tue)   #6
kin2son
User is banned from forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfinta View Post
I just read through the spec list. I didnt see any mention of af micro adjustment. I also was curious about AEB, whether it can do 7 shots or only 3.
Also no mention of weather sealing or shutter life durability from what i could see
AF Microadjustment C.Fn II-13
+/- 20 steps (wide and tele setting for Zooms)
Adjust all lenses by same amount
Adjust up to 40 lenses individually
Adjustments remembered for lens by serial number

- AEB 2, 3, 5 or 7 Shots +/-3 EV 1/3 or 1/2 stop increments

One can safely assume the sensor is going to be more or less better, I mean it can't be worse than the 4 years old 18MP sensor right? Although just how good it is remains to be seen.

I would pick the 70D over the 7D if I'm upgrading from a Rebel. To me that's a no-brainer.

Last edited by kin2son : 2nd of July 2013 (Tue) at 06:23.
kin2son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of July 2013 (Tue)   #7
whothafunk

70D has AFMA and it is weather sealed (to some degree). I am more or less sold, it is quite a leap from 550D. Just wish it would be available before September.
Old 2nd of July 2013 (Tue)   #8
Gert-JanS

I would go for the 70D because of it's newer technology and sensor, unless you want the better build quality of the 7D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gert-jans/
Gert-JanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of July 2013 (Tue)   #9
boufa

I'm in a forced upgrade situation and the now factor makes the 7d the right answer. Plus a refurbished 7d is several hundred dollars cheaper. That puts me in a good place buying the 7d without feeling like I made a bad choice.

I'm not sold on the touch screen for a camera. Does it only work in live view? Are pushing buttons any more difficult than touching the screen.

Gallery/Website/Blog - TowPathPhoto
Social Media - - - on Flickr . . . on Twitter
boufa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of July 2013 (Tue)   #10
mpix345
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by boufa View Post
I'm in a forced upgrade situation and the now factor makes the 7d the right answer. Plus a refurbished 7d is several hundred dollars cheaper. That puts me in a good place buying the 7d without feeling like I made a bad choice.

I'm not sold on the touch screen for a camera. Does it only work in live view? Are pushing buttons any more difficult than touching the screen.
I can see the 7D being the right choice. I think it all comes down to how you'd use the new features on the 70D.

As for touch screen, yeah, you can use buttons or screen to make adjustments. No benefit there afaiac. But the nice thing with touch screen is selecting your focus point. Not a must-have for me, but helpful at times.
mpix345 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of July 2013 (Tue)   #11
kin2son

Quote:
Originally Posted by boufa View Post
No. It can also be used during photo playback like swiping to next photo on a smartphone. Changing setting in the Q menu etc.
kin2son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of July 2013 (Tue)   #12
ZIM SOGEN

The Digitalrev tv will compare it to the 7d and the Nikon d7100, once enough people tell them to do it, they will get it done, maybe Gordon lang at Camera labs may do it too!
ZIM SOGEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of July 2013 (Tue)   #13
05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.

Id be interested except for the rear control layout. I hate the way its setup compared to the 7D and the touch sensitive wheel I dont like either. I like the way the 7D is setup with a real dial wheel that turns. I guess i will see what the 7D2 brings to the table if ever announced
Old 2nd of July 2013 (Tue)   #14
Phoenixkh
Goldmember

I suspect the markets for the 70D and a new 7D Mk2 are different, though there will always be some overlap.

I see lots of 60D owners interested in the 70D... sort of a natural upgrade, but I don't think many 7D owners will make the switch unless they end up doubting a 7D Mk 2 will ever be released and the 70D turns out to be special.

If I had to guess, I think Canon will announce/release a 7D Mk 2. I think it will have to rival the now discontinued 1D crop series since that void is still there.I wouldn't be surprised to see it become the go to sports/wildlife/aviation camera.

Available everywhere on April 23rd.
Old 2nd of July 2013 (Tue)   #15
TeamSpeed
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by kin2son View Post
No. It can also be used during photo playback like swiping to next photo on a smartphone. Changing setting in the Q menu etc.
I finally set up my eye-fi card last night, and now when I take a pic and mark it as protected via the rate button, my Nexus 7 gets the image and I can view, swipe, and zoom, etc there. This may be my new preferred method of showing people pictures I have taken when they ask to see them.

But having that on the camera would be great too, I have not had the luxury of trying the newest bodies that have it to see how well it works.
TeamSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote