Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th of July 2013 (Sun)   #1
Kim F

Default 6D Vs 70D

I can't see a similar thread. I have permission from Minister of Finance to upgrade my 30D and I was going down the 6d path but now looking at the specs for the 70D, I am a tad confused. In the value for money considerations, I have to take into consideration my EF-S 10-22 which gets sent to the back of the cupboard if I go down the 6D path. GPS doesn't excite me too much but low light performance is a big plus. Anyone else going through this deliberation?
Kim F is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 7th of July 2013 (Sun)   #2
Charlie
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: 6D Vs 70D

6D for sure. If the minister of finance ok's the more expensive body, then go for it.

70D is a new item, value will go down a LOT faster than the 6D, which has kind of stabilized. You can sell off the 10-22 in favor of the 17-40, which in some ways better, and some ways worst.
Old 7th of July 2013 (Sun)   #3
xinvisionx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
6D for sure. If the minister of finance ok's the more expensive body, then go for it.

70D is a new item, value will go down a LOT faster than the 6D, which has kind of stabilized. You can sell off the 10-22 in favor of the 17-40, which in some ways better, and some ways worst.
Agreed. A crop is as a knife as a ff is a gun to a fight.
Old 7th of July 2013 (Sun)   #4
apthai86

Both are/will be excellent cameras but the real question you need to answer before deciding is what type of shooting do you do? If you do wildlife or sports then the 70D will suit you better. If shooting portraits or landscape then the 6D's full frame will suit you better. Once we know what type of subjects you shoot it'll help with providing which one is better for you.
Old 7th of July 2013 (Sun)   #5
Kim F

Quote:
Originally Posted by apthai86 View Post
Both are/will be excellent cameras but the real question you need to answer before deciding is what type of shooting do you do? If you do wildlife or sports then the 70D will suit you better. If shooting portraits or landscape then the 6D's full frame will suit you better. Once we know what type of subjects you shoot it'll help with providing which one is better for you.
Mainly landscapes and then portraits.
Kim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of July 2013 (Sun)   #6
xinvisionx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim F View Post
6D. Simple.
Old 7th of July 2013 (Sun)   #7
Cyth0n

I recently upgraded from a 30D to a 6D and gave up a 10-22 and 17-55 for it. Full frame is nice but it won't make your pictures magically better. That's all just fluff. The usefulness of shallower DoF is overblown as well. However, it is much easier to post process photos on a 6D due to improved dynamic range, less noise, and a better noise profile generally. You can pull back highlights and push shadows without worrying about degrading image quality too much. The larger viewfinder is also a big plus for me, especially when equipped with a precision focusing screen. It is genuinely easy to manually focus, whereas on the 30D it was hit and miss at best. I don't imagine a 70D would be better than the 30D in this respect.

Needless to say, the 6Ds high ISO performance is exceptional. ISO 12800 is cleaner than ISO 3200 on the 30D. ISO 25600 and 51200 aren't too bad with some aggressive noise reduction. In all honesty, if you have some decent fast glass, you'll be hard pushed to find situation where ISO 25600 and 51200 are actually necessary anyway. I would be surprised if the 70D was as capable as the 6D in this category.

As for lenses, the 10-22 was a hard one to give up. In my opinion, there aren't any wide lenses for full frame that are as good as the 10-22 without spending $$$$ on the 16-35. The 24-105 is a pretty good substitute for the 17-55 f/2.8 though. What I have found is that a lot of the primes start to make more sense on full frame. I bought the Sigma 35 f1.4 which is a lovely field of view and it hasn't come off my camera since. 50mm and 85mm aren't bad either.

I think that if you shoot a lot of sports or wildlife, or shoot exclusively in JPEG, then you'd probably be better off with the 70D. If you shoot RAW, prefer wide photography, portrait, or low light photography, the 6D is a clear winner.

Last edited by Cyth0n : 7th of July 2013 (Sun) at 04:43.
Cyth0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of July 2013 (Sun)   #8
watt100
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
then my vote would also be the 6D
watt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of July 2013 (Sun)   #9
sega62

Quote:
I can't see a similar thread. I have permission from Minister of Finance to upgrade my 30D and I was going down the 6d path but now looking at the specs for the 70D, I am a tad confused. In the value for money considerations, I have to take into consideration my EF-S 10-22 which gets sent to the back of the cupboard if I go down the 6D path. GPS doesn't excite me too much but low light performance is a big plus. Anyone else going through this deliberation?
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EO...-Canon-EOS-70D
sega62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of July 2013 (Sun)   #10
jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop

snapsport pretty much sucks for comparison.
Heck, they already have the 7d2 specs listed.
weak.
but yes the 6d is the clear winner here given the choices.
jhayesvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of July 2013 (Sun)   #11
CyberManiaK

Why you don't wait until the 70D is out to SEE exactly what the new sensor can do.
Old 7th of July 2013 (Sun)   #12
WC4Glam

Marked.
I have similar interest but fascinate by 70d ability to tilt screen and AF by touch screen. That maybe more versatile for family of 3 children.
WC4Glam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of July 2013 (Sun)   #13
amfoto1
Cream of the Crop

I'm sure all these folks have used 70Ds alongside their 6Ds extensively, to be able to give you valid and useful comparisons.

Oh wait, the 70D isn't out until mid-August or early September!
amfoto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of July 2013 (Sun)   #14
he's gone

Quote:
Anyone else going through this deliberation?
yes. been deliberating for 6 months. I was close to pre-ordering the 70D, and spent the better part of the announcement day looking at specs and speculation. I really, really need better low light performance and am not sure the 70D is going to deliver anything overwhelming in that department.

I can deal with the hobbled focusing on the 6D, it's got to be better than my XSi.

The 70D video features are sick, but i'm not yet marketing video services.

Ended up ordering the 6D last night from B&H.

Package deal with the camera, 24-105L, Canon Pixma Pro printer, and a puny little 16 gig card.

$2599 - $200 instant rebate - $400 mail in rebate = $1999

the deal can be found here http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...splay.php?f=89

but i think the $200 instant rebate ended at midnight.
PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk / 6D, XSi, Canon; 24-105 f/4, 70-200 2.8 IS, 85 1.8, 70-210 3.5-4.5, Tokina 16-28 / 2x CL-360, 580EXII, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20
he's gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of July 2013 (Sun)   #15
Mavgirl

Quote:
It's hard to decide between the two because the 70D isn't even in people's hands yet. If you're on the fence I'd wait until it comes out and see what kind of real world results people get. I think its better to wait to buy (since we know the specs and know it's coming out) then to pull the trigger now and end up wishing you'd bought a different camera.