Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 07 Jul 2013 (Sunday) 20:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Digital Slideshow Programs?

dhornick
643 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 07, 2013 20:16 |  #1

So, I just got home from 17 days across Europe and out of 1666 pictures taken, I have several keepers. What I would like to know is what software programs you guys use to compile a digital slideshow. One that doesn’t reduce the quality of the photos. And one that can be played for an audience. Any suggestions?

Darrell
6D | 16-35mm f/4 L | 8-15mm Fisheye L | 24-105mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 100-400mm f/4.5 5.6L | Speedlights 430EX III, 600EX II RT & ST-E3-RT transmitter.
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,251 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jul 07, 2013 23:06 |  #2

Since you used a descriptive title, the forum has done a mini-search for you. Look at the links at the very bottom left hand corner of this page.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

WaltA
Goldmember
3,854 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 08, 2013 13:18 |  #3

I use PhotoDVD from VSO software (external link)

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,662 posts
Gallery: 515 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 08, 2013 20:17 |  #4

I use the output tools in LR, the slideshow module seem quite good, with plenty of options. PS has a similar tool, but I prefer the LR interface these days.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

mark48
905 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 10, 2013 10:21 |  #5

I use PS Elements to do a simple slide show. It's got the basics, pan, zoom, etc. and you can add music. Pretty easy to use. You can save it on a DVD or CD if need be.

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,720 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 10, 2013 10:40 |  #6

Though it's no longer supported, my favorite when I want someones jaw to drop is 3DAlbum. I went and built a pc running windows xp just for that and one other program I use.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentacon 645D I SMC FA 645 75 f2.8
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

lexplayer
30 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 11, 2013 14:51 as a reply to  @ Thorrulz's post |  #7

I know that The Picture People portrait studio uses a program called Darkroom, but I'm not sure who makes the software.

dhornick
THREAD ­ STARTER
643 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 12, 2013 07:29 as a reply to  @ lexplayer's post |  #8

There’s just doesn’t seem to be a clear consensus on a program that out numbers the others. Even going back to posts of 2004.

Darrell
6D | 16-35mm f/4 L | 8-15mm Fisheye L | 24-105mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 100-400mm f/4.5 5.6L | Speedlights 430EX III, 600EX II RT & ST-E3-RT transmitter.
Flickr (external link)

m.good
87 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 12, 2013 09:18 |  #9

Try Proshow Gold.

Michael - Pro photographer

dhornick
THREAD ­ STARTER
643 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 12, 2013 10:06 as a reply to  @ m.good's post |  #10

Yep. It seems to be the program of choice if there is a clear winner. Thanks.

Darrell
Flickr (external link)

Alexid1
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jul 2013

Jul 15, 2013 13:36 |  #11

dhornick,

Try free Perfect Photo Show - www.perfectphotoshow.c​om (external link)

Regarding paid software. Proshow Gold is a good program, also try another professional slideshow software - PicturesToExe Deluxe - www.wnsoft.com/picture​stoexe/ (external link) Most of photographers in the UK and France prefer this software for Audiovisual festivals and local competitions.

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 17, 2013 20:59 |  #12

dhornick wrote in post #16100107 (external link)
. What I would like to know is what software programs you guys use to compile a digital slideshow. One that doesn’t reduce the quality of the photos.

What exactly do you mean by "doesn't reduce the quality"? Your digital photos are going to have to be reduced in size in order to either be displayed on your computer screen, HD TV, or a digital projector. So the "quality" of the images will have to be reduced in order to display them since there aren't 18 MP screens or digital projectors yet.

Lightroom, if you use it, has a slideshow function. THere's also the free Irfanview photo viewer than has a slideshow function.

toolmanlh
57 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jul 18, 2013 09:34 |  #13

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #16129935 (external link)
What exactly do you mean by "doesn't reduce the quality"? Your digital photos are going to have to be reduced in size in order to either be displayed on your computer screen, HD TV, or a digital projector. So the "quality" of the images will have to be reduced in order to display them since there aren't 18 MP screens or digital projectors yet.

Lightroom, if you use it, has a slideshow function. THere's also the free Irfanview photo viewer than has a slideshow function.

In the past I have used Irfanview for a simple slideshow and
ProShow Gold, ... it is very good if you don't mind paying for it. As I recall, it was able to adjust the slideshow to the music so that everything ends at the same time. Nice transitions too.

Shooting RAW with a gripped Canon t4i, 18-135 STM, 55-250 STM, 50mm 1.8 II, 40 mm 2.8 STM, 430exII, and manfrotto tripod.

dhornick
THREAD ­ STARTER
643 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 19, 2013 08:44 |  #14

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #16129935 (external link)

Yes, I'm realizing that the quality will be reduced with pretty much any program used. I guess I was just hoping. I mean it's like when you post a razor crisp sharp picture on Facebook it then becomes just another picture almost to the point that it could have simply been taken with a phone camera. Just kinda sad that there are no means to post a picture and keep the quality of the original.

I do use PS CS6 and it also has a slide show function which is what I will end up using IMO.

Darrell
Flickr (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,662 posts
Gallery: 515 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 19, 2013 09:15 |  #15

The trick to posting images to many of these online hosts, such as Flickr and even FB is to make sure that the image you post will not then be resized by the host. For example I took to posting to FB at 700px wide, as this was small enough that it would not then be resized. I post all my Flickr images at 1024 px wide, and normally view them at that size. Also I can attach them to posts and maintain the full quality at least within the limits of the sRGB colour space, and 8 bit compressed JPEG. Personally from LR I save at quality setting 80, which gives a good level of file compression (40-60% smaller than Q100), but when compared by eye is indistinguishable from the maximum quality version.

If you are posting a slideshow online that usually needs you to be running it on your own server, so the image quality will solely depend on the quality of the files that you save/post. Posting full size images is also pointless as the image would otherwise need to be resized for display, so use sizes that can be displayed full size on the average monitor/display.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links

3,484 views & 0 likes for this thread
Digital Slideshow Programs?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.