Why no focal reducer

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 20 Jul 2013 (Saturday) 21:50   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Rstanford
Joined Feb 2009
147 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Does anyone know why canon or anyone else for that matter does not make focal reducer? Wouldn't you like to turn your 50 1.4 into a 35 f1.0 or close to it.

Post #1, Jul 20, 2013 21:50:38

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
krb
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2008
8,818 posts
Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together
[MORE/SHARE]

Lack of demand is probably the largest issue. I suspect that there are technical issues with making them work well on the wide angle lenses where such a tool would be desired.

Post #2, Jul 20, 2013 21:53:18

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickrexternal link
Gear list

Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,165 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Well, technically there are - they're called "close-up lenses" and they screw onto the front of your lens. The drawback is that they also take away infinity focus. There are a very few rear-mounting examples of this; one of which is the 1:1 adapter for the 50 mm f/2.5 macro (which focuses to 1:2 without the adapter; the adapter lets it focus to 1:1, and will also let other lenses focus closer than normal).

Post #3, Jul 20, 2013 21:59:26

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

sapearl
emailed Tim some prozac
Joined Dec 2005
14,854 posts
Cleveland, Ohio
[MORE/SHARE]

They seem to be popular among astronomers. Some do cause an amount of vignetting though.

Post #4, Jul 20, 2013 22:03:42

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITEexternal link- MY GALLERIESexternal link- MY BLOGexternal link
Artists Archives of the Western Reserveexternal link - Board

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
Joined Aug 2005
33,430 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

The only focal length reducer that mounts on the rear of the lens I have ever heard of is one which only reduces the size of the image circle to a smaller format coverage, in order to both produce more angle of view.

Post #5, Jul 20, 2013 22:31:18

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

sponsored links
Rstanford
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2009
147 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

http://www.engadget.co​m ...edbooster-ef-nex-adapter/external link

"increasing the speed of a lens by a full stop. That may sound impossible, but it apparently works by concentrating the extra light-gathering area of a full-frame lens down to the smaller E-mount sensor area, turning an f4.0 lens into an f2.8 lens,"

Post #6, Jul 20, 2013 22:58:10

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
Joined Aug 2005
33,430 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

This not only talks about the FL reducer, but in the first paragraph mentions what inherently has made that difficult up until now...

http://www.sansmirror.​com ...reducer-lens-adapter.htmlexternal link

Post #7, Jul 20, 2013 22:59:37

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

Rstanford
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2009
147 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

This is the direction canon needs to go in, they need to make a small sensor dslr in a small frame like the eos-m and make a focal reducer. then we can have below f1 lenses.

Post #8, Jul 20, 2013 23:51:24

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2008
24,529 posts
Utah, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

You can't make a focal reducer for EF lenses to work on an EOS camera. The way they work requires space for the focal reducer to fit in the optical path, which only works adapting to significantly shallower mounts. They can make one to use EF lenses on a NEX because the mount depth is about 26mm difference. You also require a larger imaging circle, so you'd have to use a FF lens on a APS-C body, or a medium format lens on a FF body, etc.

Post #9, Jul 21, 2013 00:03:38

Taylor
Galleries: Flickrexternal link
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2008
24,529 posts
Utah, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Rstanford wrote in post #16138966external link
This is the direction canon needs to go in, they need to make a small sensor dslr in a small frame like the eos-m and make a focal reducer. then we can have below f1 lenses.

But since you have to go to a smaller sensor for them to work, you take away effective aperture. All it does is get you back to where you would be if you used the lens on a FF camera in the first place.

Also, the attractiveness of a small camera like the EOS-M diminishes rapidly with adapters and larger FF lenses.

Post #10, Jul 21, 2013 00:06:36

Taylor
Galleries: Flickrexternal link
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

Rstanford
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2009
147 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

If thats not what I said thats what I meant, they need a smaller sensor in a small frame dslr camera.

Post #11, Jul 21, 2013 00:10:03

sponsored links
maverick75
Goldmember
Joined May 2012
3,786 posts
Riverside,California
[MORE/SHARE]

Cameras are getting better and better at high ISO that I think lens manufacturer are going to stop trying to make them faster.

Post #12, Jul 21, 2013 00:15:31

- Alex Corona
Flickrexternal link - 500pxexternal link - Websiteexternal link - Feedback

ElectronGuru
Joined Apr 2009
421 posts
Oregon
[MORE/SHARE]

maverick75 wrote in post #16139002external link
Cameras are getting better and better at high ISO that I think lens manufacturer are going to stop trying to make them faster.

The relevance of big apertures is changing. The point used to be compensating for slow ISO. With that disappearing, the relevance will be DOF. If shallow DOF is not worth it for customers, they will stop buying them and manufacturers will stop making them. If shallow DOF is worth it, manufacturers will not stop. When I show someone a photo of them taken at 1.2, they get all excited and ask what camera I'm using. What they really want to know is how do I get a fast lens.

Tying back into topic: as tkbslc notes above, reducers seem to be creating equivalency with FF, not really gaining an advantage. You're shrinking the projected light as you're shrinking the sensor. 1.4 becomes 1.0 in brightness (concentrated light), but not shallow DOF. 1.4 on FF will look like 1.4 on crop + reducer, just with less of the ISO than would normally be needed.

Post #13, Jul 21, 2013 09:03:00

"Light is the paint, lenses are brush, sensors are the canvas"
6D | 100L Macro | 50L | 24L TSE
Builder of custom flashlights, OVEREADY.comexternal link

maverick75
Goldmember
Joined May 2012
3,786 posts
Riverside,California
[MORE/SHARE]

Well all know aperture is not the only thing that controls DOF....

Post #14, Jul 21, 2013 17:19:08

- Alex Corona
Flickrexternal link - 500pxexternal link - Websiteexternal link - Feedback

Rstanford
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2009
147 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

It also improves sharpness in the center.

Post #15, Jul 21, 2013 21:33:34

LIST NEARBY THREADS
992 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why no focal reducer
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES