Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 28 Jul 2013 (Sunday) 07:14
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

1DX and it's metering

LincsRP
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
Jul 28, 2013 07:14 |  #1

I'm finding my 1DX metering now to be a bit more sensitive to specular highlights. Having done a wedding at the end of Dec last year I hadn't used it much except for a few social occasions (presentations etc).

Since I loaded the latest firmware and it's been to Canon Elstree it nearly caught me out big time last Friday night photographing the local church Baptisms and Confirmations.

Simply put it now seems to really dial back the exposure if a few specular hightlights are in the scene. I'm no rookie to this and have looked out a few threads on the 1DX underexposing nearly as much as 1 stop in some cases.

Having done a few tests this morning I've found that an 'average' scene with maybe a couple stops of difference is ok but, then include (even on the edge of the frame) a specular highlight and the metering dials back severely.

Even multi-spot it does. Multi-spot on an 'average' scene and it's ok, then mult-spot and include just one area of spcular in say a four/five spot case and it really dials exposure back. Ok, I often bracket in these cases if the action is fast moving like lining up family groups with the Bishop for instance which covers the problem nicely.

Looking at the in-camera compensation (menu) which Canon say shouldn't be needed if I dial in a half stop over base it's then slightly over-exposing the 'general' scene.

Has anyone found this since the last firmware update? Curious to know.

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.ukexternal link

sponsored links
2slo
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2011
Jul 28, 2013 08:11 |  #2

Interesting. I haven't noticed a problem with this so far albeit I use mine for birds and wildlife. I tend to use spot metering most of the time tied to the AF point and it does the job very well.
I haven't updated the firmware on mine yet (I'm using 1.2.4). Are you using a different version which might be the cause of what you describe?

LincsRP
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
Jul 28, 2013 10:25 as a reply to 2slo's post |  #3

Mine too is firmware 1.2.4.

Steve

2slo
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2011
Jul 28, 2013 11:43 as a reply to LincsRP's post |  #4

One option for you might be multi spot metering. Assuming you have the same manual as me, see page 178.

LincsRP
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
Jul 28, 2013 12:21 |  #5

2slo wrote in post #16160726external link
One option for you might be multi spot metering. Assuming you have the same manual as me, see page 178.

Mark, see my para 5, even multi-spot which I use to get a 'base' exposure is severely affected by just one specular highlight.

I think the specular gold and silver made it worse on Friday night as our church has lots of this compared to some. I'm coming to this conclusion as the 1DX has a colour metering sensor so maybe I need to factor this in?

Testing this morning against a white sheet of paper in natural light against a 1Dmk2 gave same reliable results from both bodies, same lens. A grey looking sheet with no compensation almost identical from both bodies. Increase both to +2 stops came out almost identical again. So there's really nothing wrong with it - just under some conditions!

Steve

jase1125
Goldmember
Joined May 2010
Lewisville, TX (DFW)
Jul 28, 2013 13:12 |  #6

I find mine underexposes as well. I finally dialed in exposure correction in the custom functions. 3/4 of a stop.

Jason

2slo
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2011
Jul 28, 2013 13:48 |  #7

LincsRP wrote in post #16160814external link
Mark, see my para 5, even multi-spot which I use to get a 'base' exposure is severely affected by just one specular highlight.

Doh! Missed that, sorry :o

Good to hear you've made some progress.

LincsRP
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
Jul 28, 2013 14:03 |  #8

2slo wrote in post #16161017 (external link)
Doh! Missed that, sorry :o

That's ok, I waffle plenty anyway :lol:

2slo wrote in post #16161017 (external link)
Good to hear you've made some progress.

Yes, and I've tested this again between visitors and the F1 grand prix and nothing is upsetting it more than the mk2's I have under 'normal' shooting conditions.

This image taken with the 1Dsmk2 was unfazed with the strip of white (open curtain) but I bet the 1DX won't be happy with it...

IMAGE: http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd154/SteveForman/XI4N0490.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://s220.photobucke​t.com ...n/media/XI4N0490.jp​g.html] (external link)

Steve

N2bnfunn
Joined Dec 2010
Jul 28, 2013 14:18 |  #9

Funny you should say that yesterday I did and event, "The Color Vibe Race" and when I went to edit the pictures a lot of them were like you said under exposure, the event was outside with a lot of sun,
I to have the latest firmware, and I did not notice the problem before I upgrade the firmware, I was shooting in spot mode as well. http://www.flickr.com/​photos/snapuphoto/external link

Canon 1DX Canon 5D MkIII Lens EF 16-35 L 2.8 EF 70-200 L 2.8 EF 50mm 1.2 L 24-105 4.0 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 Intuos Small Tablet 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

LincsRP
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
Jul 28, 2013 14:27 |  #10

N2bnfunn wrote in post #16161082external link
Funny you should say that yesterday I did and event, "The Color Vibe Race" and when I went to edit the pictures a lot of them were like you said under exposure, the event was outside with a lot of sun,
I to have the latest firmware, and I did not notice the problem before I upgrade the firmware, I was shooting in spot mode as well. http://www.flickr.com/​photos/snapuphoto/external link

Spot linked to AF point? I haven't really used that much in the past, rather relying on evaluative and tweaking plus and minus as I see fit.

I did test it today and am surprised it came out ok. Spot for me was one of those 'last resort' settings for stage work, etc. :)

Steve

N2bnfunn
Joined Dec 2010
Jul 28, 2013 15:19 |  #11

jase1125 wrote in post #16160939external link
I find mine underexposes as well. I finally dialed in exposure correction in the custom functions. 3/4 of a stop.

Hey could you explain a little more on how to do that in the custom functions, I looked and I am not seeing how to do that?

Canon 1DX Canon 5D MkIII Lens EF 16-35 L 2.8 EF 70-200 L 2.8 EF 50mm 1.2 L 24-105 4.0 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 Intuos Small Tablet 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

aliengin
Goldmember
1,149 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Jul 28, 2013 22:17 |  #12

jase1125 wrote in post #16160939external link

Doing the exactly same on both cameras. Spot metering works good though.

Ali Engin Photographyexternal link

jase1125
Goldmember
Joined May 2010
Lewisville, TX (DFW)
Jul 28, 2013 22:19 |  #13

N2bnfunn wrote in post #16161228external link
Hey could you explain a little more on how to do that in the custom functions, I looked and I am not seeing how to do that?

CF2 Exposure
2nd menu
6th option (AE Microadjustment)

Jason

N2bnfunn
Joined Dec 2010
Jul 28, 2013 22:55 |  #14

jase1125 wrote in post #16162283external link
CF2 Exposure
2nd menu
6th option (AE Microadjustment)

Dude feel like you sent me a text, CF2? custom function 2? I am not seeing that?

N2bnfunn
Joined Dec 2010
Aug 04, 2013 22:01 |  #15

This is what I have notice using the 1DX and spot metering, I only get the under -exposing when I am using the 4 Lens, not with the 2.8 lens

sponsored links

5,313 views & 0 likes for this thread
1DX and it's metering
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.