Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th of July 2013 (Sun)   #1
Dexinthecity

Default 70D vs 5d Mark III vs 6D

So got my gf a t4i, now I want one for myself. Had the 60D two years ago and I loved it. However I've always read that full frame is better and I'm wondering what all the fuss is about.

Anywho, what I'm looking for is a great body all around. Before I got the 60D I was choosing between that and the t3i. I liked the 60D because it felt way better in my hands. So I'd like a great body with great features and capable of video recording. Though I don't shoot video alot, I would like the option.
Old 28th of July 2013 (Sun)   #2
rent

Default Re: 70D vs 5d Mark III vs 6D

Is there anything on the 60D that is lacking for what you'd like to shoot? It's certainly capable of shooting the occasional 1080p video and is a capable body all around.

The fuss about full frame is that you can get a wider angle (and I'm sure there will be a lengthy discussion below about DoF which you can probably ignore). So really, it all depends on what you want to use the camera for, and how much you want to spend.

-alex
rent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of July 2013 (Sun)   #3
jaomul

You cant compare yet so 6d or 5d3. The 70d could end up being better or worse than the 60d. It likely will be slightly better for images and substantially better for video so the full frame cameras will likely remain better for high iso shooting

Olympus EM5,Nikon d7100,
Olympus 12-50mm, 40-150mm, 17mm F2.8. Nikon 50mm F1.8, 35mm F1.8, 18-105mmVR, Tamron 17-50mm F2.8
jaomul is online now   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 28th of July 2013 (Sun)   #4
Mavgirl

In some ways full frame is better, in some ways it's not. It really depends on what you need from a camera.

You already have a great all around body with great features capable of shooting video. What specifically are you looking for?
Old 28th of July 2013 (Sun)   #5
Dexinthecity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavgirl View Post
In some ways full frame is better, in some ways it's not. It really depends on what you need from a camera.

You already have a great all around body with great features capable of shooting video. What specifically are you looking for?
I currently don't have a body, we have the t4i but it's the girlfriends camera that I just got for her.

Maybe I just have this perception that at some point I would need a full frame camera. I don't really have a preference on what type of shooting I do. I pretty much shoot anything.
Old 28th of July 2013 (Sun)   #6
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)

Since you list the three which differ in price almost perfectly as 1,2, ,and 3x values
It's hard for us to decipher your budget, let alone needs.

The 5D3 is 3x the cost, and perhaps rightfully so.
CyberDyneSystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of July 2013 (Sun)   #7
brettjrob

Full frame is a mixed bag, in terms of pros and cons, unless you have a budget at least around $4-5k (including the body).

The 6D/5D3 sensor is substantially better than crop sensors. It will give you slightly cleaner images at low ISO, and much cleaner images at moderate to high ISO. Obviously, that's a positive.

Unfortunately, image quality is a function of both the sensor and the lens. Which factor is the bottleneck can vary depending on the situation, or even across different parts of the image. I say "unfortunately" because, in general, lenses that are sharp across the larger image circle of the full frame sensors are substantially more expensive.

On crop, lenses like the EF-S 10-22mm and EF-S 17-55mm IS can be had for $600-800 apiece, and will give you awesome sharpness and image quality throughout the frame. In fact, some respectable third-party alternatives to those lenses go for under $500! In general, it's much harder (and more expensive) to achieve that on full frame. Similarly-priced lenses like the 17-40L, 24-105L, etc. tend to have soft corners and other more noticeable flaws on full frame. For example, the 10-22mm and 17-40L are about the same price and serve roughly the same function on crop and FF, respectively. But in my experience, the 10-22mm was a lot sharper in the corners on crop than my 17-40L is on FF.

To get corner-to-corner sharpness on FF, you often need to look at primes or very expensive zooms like the 24-70L II. Some primes are relatively affordable, but you need several of them to cover the range that one lens like the EF-S 17-55 IS covers perfectly well on crop. Either way, you're looking at a much higher budget for good lenses on FF.

You really have to weigh the pros and cons in the context of your budget. If your budget is just high enough for a 6D, but not enough for several top-end L lenses, are you sure the lower noise is worth the potential tradeoff of softer corners? That was actually the decision I had to make recently, and I decided it was worth moving to the 6D from crop, with the hopes of acquiring better glass over time. But based on my experience thus far, for some applications, one could easily argue I spent a lot of money to get results whose advantages (cleaner files) are offset by other disadvantages (softer corners). The Samyang 14mm prime is a glaring exception, offering corner-to-corner sharpness for bargain-bin pricing ($350). But it's a very specialized lens, and one whose value cannot be replicated at most other focal lengths.

Flickr | 500px | skyinmotion.com
Feedback
brettjrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of July 2013 (Sun)   #8
Dexinthecity

Great responses so far, so budget wise if I be a 5dmkiii or 6d I would have a mediocre lens. Or if I go with a 60d I could get an L lens. Which is a better choice?
Old 28th of July 2013 (Sun)   #9
rent

Spend money on good (L) lenses, which will outlast bodies many times over.
rent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of July 2013 (Sun)   #10
brettjrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexinthecity View Post
Great responses so far, so budget wise if I be a 5dmkiii or 6d I would have a mediocre lens. Or if I go with a 60d I could get an L lens. Which is a better choice?
If the 5D3 is even in consideration, that means your budget could support a 6D and a couple respectable lenses. It all hinges on what you shoot and what focal lengths you plan to use most frequently. If you can elaborate on that, the answer should become clearer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rent View Post
Spend money on good (L) lenses, which will outlast bodies many times over.
I strongly agree with this philosophy, but moreso within the context of a single sensor size than between different sensor sizes. In other words, don't spring for a 7D when the 650D has an identical sensor, unless you're constantly shooting sports and other fast action. It's not as simple when comparing crop to full frame. Full frame does give you significant return on investment in image quality, much like good glass. The downside is that the investment depreciates much faster with a body (even a good one like the 6D or 5D3) than good glass. Still, "investing" in good EF-S glass now becomes kind of moot if you end up moving to full frame with your next body.

Flickr | 500px | skyinmotion.com
Feedback
brettjrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of July 2013 (Sun)   #11
Mavgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexinthecity View Post
I currently don't have a body, we have the t4i but it's the girlfriends camera that I just got for her.

Maybe I just have this perception that at some point I would need a full frame camera. I don't really have a preference on what type of shooting I do. I pretty much shoot anything.
Ahh.. sorry, I missed that. I locked onto the "Before I got he 60D" part.
Old 29th of July 2013 (Mon)   #12
Paulstw

In real terms it matters not. Far too many people get hung up about what body to buy, then fire the worse lenses on to said body.

If you want wider angles, better DOF and IQ then get FF. If you want cropped pics/better reach and don't mind using EF-S lenses then get a crop sensor camera. The only thing that should be a concern is the placement of buttons and build quality.

Don't waste money on a camera that you can use to buy a good lens. It's thee most important aspect of gear that is so over looked that I'm sure it frustrates the hell out of folk on here.

Plus, you need to ask. What are you using your pictures for? Uploading online? printing? sharing on social media? I can tell you now, it doesn't matter what camera you are using unless you want to create large prints, even then it comes down to IQ, which only gets better with better glass.
Old 29th of July 2013 (Mon)   #13
mesakid

"I think"this Canon 70D will be a formidable low light camera/action. It just has to be. It won't be a full-frame competitor, but it should have some improvements in image quality over the 60D/7D cameras.

About full-frame
1. Images are richer, tend to look better
2. Better low-light performance
3. Easier to work with photos in post, cleans up better

Can you still get great shots on crop cameras? Absolutely (as long as you don't pixel peep too much 1:1). Do you really need a full frame? Depends. If you shoot low-light environment, it's the way to go.

Something to think about:
I've been using a Nikon d7100 the past few months and I will be perfectly honest with you. It is one of the best crop cameras I've used to date. The 7D/60D don't match up (IQ wise) (obviously since their older). There are times when I look at the files I get out of the Nikon d7100 that are honestly comparable to full-frame like the 5D Mark III (in lower ISO's). I shot a festival event and some basketball games over the weekend. I love my 5D Mark III, but at times I reached for that Nikon D7100. I knew the image quality and the performance of the camera were up to the job. Oh, this camera also does video (has a headphone jack if you care about that).

Don't forget to still get decent glass. Good primes or at least 2.8 zooms will help you out.
Old 29th of July 2013 (Mon)   #14
hcbph

One more thing to think on - the actual lenses. If you have a FF body you have to use EF (or equivalent) lenses on it. If you use a crop sensor body, you can use either EF or EF-S lenses (don't know if there are any restrictions to models so do your checking first).
I have a T4I and the 2 kit EF-S lenses that came with it. I've also picked up a Sigma telephoto that's also compatible with a FF body. If I ever go to FF and they have not changed the mounts, I should be able use it.
hcbph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of July 2013 (Mon)   #15
Dexinthecity

I'm thinking maybe going with another 60D and getting a great L lens (ideally I want the holy trinity 35, 86, 135mm L)

Last edited by Dexinthecity : 29th of July 2013 (Mon) at 14:36.
Dexinthecity is offline   Reply With Quote