The best battery pack for 600 EX-RT? Turbo SC Slim?

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 30 Jul 2013 (Tuesday) 17:04   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

nathan_wong
Mostly Lurking
Joined Oct 2012
13 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi,

I am a wedding photographer and have been using CP-E4 battery packs for my 600 EX-RT. The recycle time is ok but I often find myself running out of juices towards the end of the wedding. (I do a lot of Indian weddings and they are LONG...). Wondering if anyone has experience using 600 EX-RT with more powerful batter packs like Turbo SC Slim? I don't really want to use strobes as they are not as flexible as 600 EX-RT.. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Post #1, Jul 30, 2013 17:04:05

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
7,127 posts
Metro Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

Nathan,
I have just recently started to use Cheetah 4500external link pack with speedlites. They offer loads of energy. Small, relatively light and you can even get a second battery if you want that slides onto the control section.

It also has two outputs if you for some reason want to carry two cameras with speedlites on them.

I got turned onto this while beta testing the Cells-IIc trigger for Edward.

Post #2, Jul 30, 2013 17:48:42

David | digifotografi tutorialsexternal link | dmwfotos websiteexternal link

The ­ Loft ­ Studios
Joined Oct 2009
988 posts
Houston, Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

nathan_wong wrote in post #16167678external link
Hi,

I am a wedding photographer and have been using CP-E4 battery packs for my 600 EX-RT. The recycle time is ok but I often find myself running out of juices towards the end of the wedding. (I do a lot of Indian weddings and they are LONG...). Wondering if anyone has experience using 600 EX-RT with more powerful batter packs like Turbo SC Slim? I don't really want to use strobes as they are not as flexible as 600 EX-RT.. Thoughts?

Thanks!

•Purchase several sets of rechargeables (assuming that is what you are using) and change them out when necessary..... $25+

•Purchase another Battery Pack Magazine "INSERT" and already have a fresh set of batteries ready to go and swap them out quickly (less than 30 seconds)..... $75+

•Purchase a Cheetah Litium-Ion Battery Pack..... $200+

•Purchase one of the nicer Quantum Battery Packs.....$300-$600

Since I use the Canon Battery Packs like yourself (I have 4 of them along with 48 recharbles), I'm never concerned about my battery life for my flashes.....

Post #3, Jul 30, 2013 18:08:01

MARK

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
7,127 posts
Metro Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

The Loft Studios wrote in post #16167838external link
•Purchase several sets of rechargeables (assuming that is what you are using) and change them out when necessary..... $25+

•Purchase another Battery Pack Magazine "INSERT" and already have a fresh set of batteries ready to go and swap them out quickly (less than 30 seconds)..... $75+

•Purchase a Cheetah Litium-Ion Battery Pack..... $200+

•Purchase one of the nicer Quantum Battery Packs.....$300-$600

Since I use the Canon Battery Packs like yourself (I have 4 of them along with 48 recharbles), I'm never concerned about my battery life for my flashes.....

Mark,
I agree. I have 6 Pixel packs, extra trays, from packs that failed for one reason or another, and enough batteries to refill each flash and tray at least twice. If I hadn't gotten the 4500 with a Cheetah Light, I'd still be using the packs and rechargeable AAs.

I have associates still using the Quantum SLA turbos. All work. The 4500 is just easier to use for long events since it just keeps truckin' :-)

Post #4, Jul 30, 2013 18:15:10

The ­ Loft ­ Studios
Joined Oct 2009
988 posts
Houston, Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

dmward wrote in post #16167856external link
The 4500 is just easier to use for long events since it just keeps truckin' :-)

Agree with the Cheetah Battery Pack, Dave just haven't had the "real" need to get one..... but it's coming soon, probably by years end! And I'm afraid I won't want just one, gotta buy in pairs, LOL.

Post #5, Jul 30, 2013 19:16:29

MARK

sponsored links
dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
7,127 posts
Metro Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

The Loft Studios wrote in post #16168034external link
Agree with the Cheetah Battery Pack, Dave just haven't had the "real" need to get one..... but it's coming soon, probably by years end! And I'm afraid I won't want just one, gotta buy in pairs, LOL.

When you break down and get one, or two, get the flash cable with it. Also, get a one of theseexternal link, its longer and springier. I can put the pack in my back pocket and still have easy movement with the camera.

Post #6, Jul 30, 2013 23:32:30

The ­ Loft ­ Studios
Joined Oct 2009
988 posts
Houston, Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

dmward wrote in post #16168586external link
When you break down and get one, or two, get the flash cable with it. Also, get a one of theseexternal link, its longer and springier. I can put the pack in my back pocket and still have easy movement with the camera.

Cool..... Thanks!

Post #7, Jul 31, 2013 03:20:47

MARK

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2010
6,153 posts
Silver Spring, MD
[MORE/SHARE]

Another option, though pricier than the Cheetah, is the Calumet powerblock 900. I bought one a bit ago and so far I love it. Recharge at full power on my 580exii is about 1 second. I used it last weekend for a wedding and shot around 700 shots with it at higher power levels. (the ceiling was high and the walls were wide) :D

http://www.calumetphot​o.com ...earchterm:powerbloc​k|9000external link

Post #8, Jul 31, 2013 06:59:22

Shane
http://www.ReighardPho​tography.comexternal link
www.500px.com/JakAHear​ts
www.facebook.com/Reigh​ardPhotography

nathan_wong
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Oct 2012
13 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Great information so far guys, thank you! I will look into the Cheetah and the Camulet! (seem like Camulet powerblock 900 -- $249.99 -- is actually slightly more expensive than the Cheetah -- $215).

Ideally, I would love to not have to replace batteries in the middle of the event. 700 shots is not enough for me.. sometime, my wedding last as long as 16 hours and I need to be able to fire considerably more than 700 shots! I usually fire speedlite at 1/16 but sometime I need more power to overpower the ambience light or create some interesting looks.. With CP-E4, it works ok but it seem like towards the end I have to wait longer for my speedlites to recycle and I miss some good shots sometime.

The thing is I set up 4 lights at every corner of the reception area so I have to buy 4 of these battery packs!

Post #9, Jul 31, 2013 09:41:09

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
7,127 posts
Metro Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

There is also this option: http://www.linkdelight​.com ...USB-Output-for-Canon.htmlexternal link

It works, but its not very well made and if there is a problem its a throw away considering the Chinese source and difficulty getting warranty support. Cables short and stiff so it pulls out of the jack easily, power switch is easy to hit, turning the battery off. It has 4 LED charge indicators. The 4th (full charge) indicator has never lit for me.

Post #10, Jul 31, 2013 09:59:32

Whortleberry
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
1,552 posts
Yorkshire, England
[MORE/SHARE]

A few small points of difference I notice comparing the Cheetah and the Calumet. I feel that any small price difference is inconsequential relative to the amount of service each would potentially provide.

CHEETAH

1. Lithium battery - the accepted norm for this type of battery is a 5 year life cycle.
  2. Spare battery supply available at extra cost. (Not currently (31 July 2013) listed by CheetahStand but definitely available, if not from Cheetah then definitely HEREexternal link although I'd definitely check with CheetahStand FIRST IF you are in the USA - you coyly don't say).
  3. One battery chamber could be charged while second in use.
  4. Any future failed battery could be replaced easily, if ever required, without losing the whole power pack.
  5. TWO power outlets as standard - option to use 2-to-1 cable and halve recycling time (at your own risk as it's designed for the Godox Witstro / CheetahLight flashes :lol:).
  6. Bayonet-fit cables don't pull out of power pack.
  7. Claimed 900+ full-power flashes per charge. Apply your own degree of scepticism to claimed number in both cases.
  8. No in-car charger available. Not exactly vital, I'd personally like to have the option though; to many I appreciate it could be totally unimportant.

CALUMET - (in the same order)

1. Nickel metal hydride battery - the reliable norm for this type of battery is a 2 year life cycle. Yes, I appreciate that they often last much longer - as too may Lithium cells similarly.
  2. Fixed internal battery with no quick change option.
  3. Charge or use option - unclear if it could be used while simultaneously charging.
  4. Any future failed battery would necessitate surgery or replacing the whole unit.
  5. ONE power outlet as standard.
  6. Push-fit cable connection may possibly pull out of power pack (see David Ward's note re the alternative Sky Eagle PB3000 from Link Delight which uses similar DIN plugs.)
  7. Claimed 500 full-power flashes per charge. Again apply your own degree of scepticism to this figure!
  8. In-car charger included.
With those points in mind, I know which I would spend money on. ;) Both are, like the Sky Eagle, Chinese-sourced but both come with impeccable after-sales service so no worries on that score - the Cheetah service is especially highly regarded by members here..

Post #11, Jul 31, 2013 11:31:27

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4" Ross Xpres, 6ܽ" Aldis, Super XX in 24 DDS, HP3 in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20. Just one or two other bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about!
FlickRexternal link ◄► The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.09external link ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79external link

sponsored links
nathan_wong
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Oct 2012
13 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Whortleberry wrote in post #16169810external link
A few small points of difference I notice comparing the Cheetah and the Calumet. I feel that any small price difference is inconsequential relative to the amount of service each would potentially provide.

CHEETAH

1. Lithium battery - the accepted norm for this type of battery is a 5 year life cycle.
  2. Spare battery supply available at extra cost. (Not currently (31 July 2013) listed by CheetahStand but definitely available, if not from Cheetah then definitely HEREexternal link although I'd definitely check with CheetahStand FIRST IF you are in the USA - you coyly don't say).
  3. One battery chamber could be charged while second in use.
  4. Any future failed battery could be replaced easily, if ever required, without losing the whole power pack.
  5. TWO power outlets as standard - option to use 2-to-1 cable and halve recycling time (at your own risk as it's designed for the Godox Witstro / CheetahLight flashes :lol:).
  6. Bayonet-fit cables don't pull out of power pack.
  7. Claimed 900+ full-power flashes per charge. Apply your own degree of scepticism to claimed number in both cases.
  8. No in-car charger available. Not exactly vital, I'd personally like to have the option though; to many I appreciate it could be totally unimportant.

CALUMET - (in the same order)

1. Nickel metal hydride battery - the reliable norm for this type of battery is a 2 year life cycle. Yes, I appreciate that they often last much longer - as too may Lithium cells similarly.
  2. Fixed internal battery with no quick change option.
  3. Charge or use option - unclear if it could be used while simultaneously charging.
  4. Any future failed battery would necessitate surgery or replacing the whole unit.
  5. ONE power outlet as standard.
  6. Push-fit cable connection may possibly pull out of power pack (see David Ward's note re the alternative Sky Eagle PB3000 from Link Delight which uses similar DIN plugs.)
  7. Claimed 500 full-power flashes per charge. Again apply your own degree of scepticism to this figure!
  8. In-car charger included.
With those points in mind, I know which I would spend money on. ;) Both are, like the Sky Eagle, Chinese-sourced but both come with impeccable after-sales service so no worries on that score - the Cheetah service is especially highly regarded by members here..

Oh man.. you made this choice too simple to pick!

Post #12, Jul 31, 2013 11:46:43

nathan_wong
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Oct 2012
13 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

gotta love that Chinese guy in Cheetah 4500 video!

Post #13, Jul 31, 2013 12:03:22

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2010
6,153 posts
Silver Spring, MD
[MORE/SHARE]

That would be Edward! He owns/operates Cheetah and is one stand up dude. I didnt realize Cheetah had such a product or I would have purchased theirs. Oh well, the Calumet works just fine and they have a store 2 minutes from my house.

Post #14, Jul 31, 2013 13:13:02

Shane
http://www.ReighardPho​tography.comexternal link
www.500px.com/JakAHear​ts
www.facebook.com/Reigh​ardPhotography

Roshan
Joined Feb 2013
300 posts
Toronto, Ontario
[MORE/SHARE]

Didn't want to start a new thread. I'm in the same boat. Just bought the 600ex rt a week ago.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ...act_Battery_Pack_fo​r.htmlexternal link

Is this a good battery pack to use?

Post #15, Jul 31, 2013 19:37:10 as a reply to JakAHearts's post 6 hours earlier.

Cameras: Nikon D700 FX X2 + MBD10 Grip, Nikon D7000 (backup), Canon T2i for video
Lenses: Nikon 28mm 1.8G, Nikon 70-200 2.8G VR 2, Nikon 50mm 1.8G, Nikon 18-105mm
Light: Nikon SB 900 X 2, SB-700 Speedlight

LIST NEARBY THREADS
6,951 views & 0 likes for this thread
The best battery pack for 600 EX-RT? Turbo SC Slim?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES