Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th of July 2013 (Tue)   #1
nathan_wong

Default The best battery pack for 600 EX-RT? Turbo SC Slim?

Hi,

I am a wedding photographer and have been using CP-E4 battery packs for my 600 EX-RT. The recycle time is ok but I often find myself running out of juices towards the end of the wedding. (I do a lot of Indian weddings and they are LONG...). Wondering if anyone has experience using 600 EX-RT with more powerful batter packs like Turbo SC Slim? I don't really want to use strobes as they are not as flexible as 600 EX-RT.. Thoughts?

Thanks!
nathan_wong is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 30th of July 2013 (Tue)   #2
dmward
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: The best battery pack for 600 EX-RT? Turbo SC Slim?

Nathan,
I have just recently started to use Cheetah 4500 pack with speedlites. They offer loads of energy. Small, relatively light and you can even get a second battery if you want that slides onto the control section.

It also has two outputs if you for some reason want to carry two cameras with speedlites on them.

I got turned onto this while beta testing the Cells-IIc trigger for Edward.
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of July 2013 (Tue)   #3
The Loft Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_wong View Post
Hi,

I am a wedding photographer and have been using CP-E4 battery packs for my 600 EX-RT. The recycle time is ok but I often find myself running out of juices towards the end of the wedding. (I do a lot of Indian weddings and they are LONG...). Wondering if anyone has experience using 600 EX-RT with more powerful batter packs like Turbo SC Slim? I don't really want to use strobes as they are not as flexible as 600 EX-RT.. Thoughts?

Thanks!

•Purchase several sets of rechargeables (assuming that is what you are using) and change them out when necessary..... $25+

•Purchase another Battery Pack Magazine "INSERT" and already have a fresh set of batteries ready to go and swap them out quickly (less than 30 seconds)..... $75+

•Purchase a Cheetah Litium-Ion Battery Pack..... $200+

•Purchase one of the nicer Quantum Battery Packs.....$300-$600

Since I use the Canon Battery Packs like yourself (I have 4 of them along with 48 recharbles), I'm never concerned about my battery life for my flashes.....
Old 30th of July 2013 (Tue)   #4
dmward
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Loft Studios View Post
•Purchase several sets of rechargeables (assuming that is what you are using) and change them out when necessary..... $25+

•Purchase another Battery Pack Magazine "INSERT" and already have a fresh set of batteries ready to go and swap them out quickly (less than 30 seconds)..... $75+

•Purchase a Cheetah Litium-Ion Battery Pack..... $200+

•Purchase one of the nicer Quantum Battery Packs.....$300-$600

Since I use the Canon Battery Packs like yourself (I have 4 of them along with 48 recharbles), I'm never concerned about my battery life for my flashes.....
Mark,
I agree. I have 6 Pixel packs, extra trays, from packs that failed for one reason or another, and enough batteries to refill each flash and tray at least twice. If I hadn't gotten the 4500 with a Cheetah Light, I'd still be using the packs and rechargeable AAs.

I have associates still using the Quantum SLA turbos. All work. The 4500 is just easier to use for long events since it just keeps truckin'
Old 30th of July 2013 (Tue)   #5
The Loft Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmward View Post
The 4500 is just easier to use for long events since it just keeps truckin'
Agree with the Cheetah Battery Pack, Dave just haven't had the "real" need to get one..... but it's coming soon, probably by years end! And I'm afraid I won't want just one, gotta buy in pairs, LOL.
Old 30th of July 2013 (Tue)   #6
dmward
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Loft Studios View Post
Agree with the Cheetah Battery Pack, Dave just haven't had the "real" need to get one..... but it's coming soon, probably by years end! And I'm afraid I won't want just one, gotta buy in pairs, LOL.
When you break down and get one, or two, get the flash cable with it. Also, get a one of these, its longer and springier. I can put the pack in my back pocket and still have easy movement with the camera.
Old 31st of July 2013 (Wed)   #7
The Loft Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmward View Post
When you break down and get one, or two, get the flash cable with it. Also, get a one of these, its longer and springier. I can put the pack in my back pocket and still have easy movement with the camera.
Cool..... Thanks!
Old 31st of July 2013 (Wed)   #8
JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop

Another option, though pricier than the Cheetah, is the Calumet powerblock 900. I bought one a bit ago and so far I love it. Recharge at full power on my 580exii is about 1 second. I used it last weekend for a wedding and shot around 700 shots with it at higher power levels. (the ceiling was high and the walls were wide)

http://www.calumetphoto.com/product/...owerblock|9000
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of July 2013 (Wed)   #9
nathan_wong

Great information so far guys, thank you! I will look into the Cheetah and the Camulet! (seem like Camulet powerblock 900 -- $249.99 -- is actually slightly more expensive than the Cheetah -- $215).

Ideally, I would love to not have to replace batteries in the middle of the event. 700 shots is not enough for me.. sometime, my wedding last as long as 16 hours and I need to be able to fire considerably more than 700 shots! I usually fire speedlite at 1/16 but sometime I need more power to overpower the ambience light or create some interesting looks.. With CP-E4, it works ok but it seem like towards the end I have to wait longer for my speedlites to recycle and I miss some good shots sometime.

The thing is I set up 4 lights at every corner of the reception area so I have to buy 4 of these battery packs!
Old 31st of July 2013 (Wed)   #10
dmward
Cream of the Crop

There is also this option: http://www.linkdelight.com/017276-PB...for-Canon.html

It works, but its not very well made and if there is a problem its a throw away considering the Chinese source and difficulty getting warranty support. Cables short and stiff so it pulls out of the jack easily, power switch is easy to hit, turning the battery off. It has 4 LED charge indicators. The 4th (full charge) indicator has never lit for me.
Old 31st of July 2013 (Wed)   #11
Whortleberry

A few small points of difference I notice comparing the Cheetah and the Calumet. I feel that any small price difference is inconsequential relative to the amount of service each would potentially provide.

CHEETAH
  1. Lithium battery - the accepted norm for this type of battery is a 5 year life cycle.
  2. Spare battery supply available at extra cost. (Not currently (31 July 2013) listed by CheetahStand but definitely available, if not from Cheetah then definitely HERE although I'd definitely check with CheetahStand FIRST IF you are in the USA - you coyly don't say).
  3. One battery chamber could be charged while second in use.
  4. Any future failed battery could be replaced easily, if ever required, without losing the whole power pack.
  5. TWO power outlets as standard - option to use 2-to-1 cable and halve recycling time (at your own risk as it's designed for the Godox Witstro / CheetahLight flashes ).
  6. Bayonet-fit cables don't pull out of power pack.
  7. Claimed 900+ full-power flashes per charge. Apply your own degree of scepticism to claimed number in both cases.
  8. No in-car charger available. Not exactly vital, I'd personally like to have the option though; to many I appreciate it could be totally unimportant.
CALUMET - (in the same order)
  1. Nickel metal hydride battery - the reliable norm for this type of battery is a 2 year life cycle. Yes, I appreciate that they often last much longer - as too may Lithium cells similarly.
  2. Fixed internal battery with no quick change option.
  3. Charge or use option - unclear if it could be used while simultaneously charging.
  4. Any future failed battery would necessitate surgery or replacing the whole unit.
  5. ONE power outlet as standard.
  6. Push-fit cable connection may possibly pull out of power pack (see David Ward's note re the alternative Sky Eagle PB3000 from Link Delight which uses similar DIN plugs.)
  7. Claimed 500 full-power flashes per charge. Again apply your own degree of scepticism to this figure!
  8. In-car charger included.
With those points in mind, I know which I would spend money on. Both are, like the Sky Eagle, Chinese-sourced but both come with impeccable after-sales service so no worries on that score - the Cheetah service is especially highly regarded by members here..
Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX in 24 DDS, HP3 in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20. Just one or two other bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about!
FlickR ◄► The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.08 ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79

Last edited by Whortleberry : 31st of July 2013 (Wed) at 11:36.
Whortleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of July 2013 (Wed)   #12
nathan_wong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whortleberry View Post
A few small points of difference I notice comparing the Cheetah and the Calumet. I feel that any small price difference is inconsequential relative to the amount of service each would potentially provide.

CHEETAH
  1. Lithium battery - the accepted norm for this type of battery is a 5 year life cycle.
  2. Spare battery supply available at extra cost. (Not currently (31 July 2013) listed by CheetahStand but definitely available, if not from Cheetah then definitely HERE although I'd definitely check with CheetahStand FIRST IF you are in the USA - you coyly don't say).
  3. One battery chamber could be charged while second in use.
  4. Any future failed battery could be replaced easily, if ever required, without losing the whole power pack.
  5. TWO power outlets as standard - option to use 2-to-1 cable and halve recycling time (at your own risk as it's designed for the Godox Witstro / CheetahLight flashes ).
  6. Bayonet-fit cables don't pull out of power pack.
  7. Claimed 900+ full-power flashes per charge. Apply your own degree of scepticism to claimed number in both cases.
  8. No in-car charger available. Not exactly vital, I'd personally like to have the option though; to many I appreciate it could be totally unimportant.
CALUMET - (in the same order)
  1. Nickel metal hydride battery - the reliable norm for this type of battery is a 2 year life cycle. Yes, I appreciate that they often last much longer - as too may Lithium cells similarly.
  2. Fixed internal battery with no quick change option.
  3. Charge or use option - unclear if it could be used while simultaneously charging.
  4. Any future failed battery would necessitate surgery or replacing the whole unit.
  5. ONE power outlet as standard.
  6. Push-fit cable connection may possibly pull out of power pack (see David Ward's note re the alternative Sky Eagle PB3000 from Link Delight which uses similar DIN plugs.)
  7. Claimed 500 full-power flashes per charge. Again apply your own degree of scepticism to this figure!
  8. In-car charger included.
With those points in mind, I know which I would spend money on. Both are, like the Sky Eagle, Chinese-sourced but both come with impeccable after-sales service so no worries on that score - the Cheetah service is especially highly regarded by members here..
Oh man.. you made this choice too simple to pick!
Old 31st of July 2013 (Wed)   #13
nathan_wong

gotta love that Chinese guy in Cheetah 4500 video!
Old 31st of July 2013 (Wed)   #14
JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop

That would be Edward! He owns/operates Cheetah and is one stand up dude. I didnt realize Cheetah had such a product or I would have purchased theirs. Oh well, the Calumet works just fine and they have a store 2 minutes from my house.
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of July 2013 (Wed)   #15
Roshan

Didn't want to start a new thread. I'm in the same boat. Just bought the 600ex rt a week ago.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Pack_for.html

Is this a good battery pack to use?

Last edited by Roshan : 31st of July 2013 (Wed) at 19:39.
Roshan is offline   Reply With Quote