The best battery pack for 600 EX-RT? Turbo SC Slim?

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 30 Jul 2013 (Tuesday) 17:04   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
7,127 posts
Metro Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

Roshan wrote in post #16171077external link
Didn't want to start a new thread. I'm in the same boat. Just bought the 600ex rt a week ago.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ...act_Battery_Pack_fo​r.htmlexternal link

Is this a good battery pack to use?

It appears to be a B&H rebranded Pixel pack. They are good packs, I have several of the Pixel version. If you are using that, or a similar, pack you will also need 24 rechargable AA batteries, Eneloops are very good. Especially the new higher ampHr rated ones. And at least one really good charger/conditioner. When its all added together, the Cheetah 4500 is about the same price.

As discussed above there are other, more attractive options.

Post #16, Jul 31, 2013 22:39:54

David | digifotografi tutorialsexternal link | dmwfotos websiteexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Whortleberry
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
1,553 posts
Yorkshire, England
[MORE/SHARE]

dmward wrote in post #16171466external link
It appears to be a B&H rebranded Pixel pack. They are good packs, I have several of the Pixel version. If you are using that, or a similar, pack you will also need 24 rechargable AA batteries, Eneloops are very good. Especially the new higher ampHr rated ones. And at least one really good charger/conditioner. When its all added together, the Cheetah 4500 is about the same price.

Pack 1 - rebranded - US$74.95.
Pack 2 - original brand - US$59.95. https://www.cheetahsta​nd.com/category-s/1923.htmexternal link
So ............... an extra US$15 for just a different name printed on the side (which is usually inside the case and hidden anyway)?
You choose!
I chose the Pixel TD381, multiple times like David. Similarly, the Cheetah / Godox is superior in my book - now got those too.

Post #17, Aug 01, 2013 03:18:42

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4" Ross Xpres, 6ܽ" Aldis, Super XX in 24 DDS, HP3 in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20. Just one or two other bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about!
FlickRexternal link ◄► The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.09external link ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79external link

nathan_wong
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Oct 2012
13 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

dmward wrote in post #16171466external link

I have been using these batter packs (I have both Bolt CBP-C1 -- din't know about rebranding!!! and CP-E4 -- purchased when I didn't know about Bolt!!!) and I have Eneloops (2000mAh) / Eneloop XX batteries (2400mAh)) but I still feel that the recycle time got slower towards the end of the wedding. I believe I also have a decent charger that can do reconditioning / soft charging (Powerex Maha MH-C801D)

That's why I was thinking about getting the Cheetah instead but before I do that I would probably try replacing all Eneloop batteries to Eneloop XX batteries instead of a mix..

Post #18, Aug 01, 2013 09:57:14

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
7,127 posts
Metro Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

nathan_wong wrote in post #16172419external link
I have been using these batter packs (I have both Bolt CBP-C1 -- din't know about rebranding!!! and CP-E4 -- purchased when I didn't know about Bolt!!!) and I have Eneloops (2000mAh) / Eneloop XX batteries (2400mAh)) but I still feel that the recycle time got slower towards the end of the wedding. I believe I also have a decent charger that can do reconditioning / soft charging (Powerex Maha MH-C801D)

That's why I was thinking about getting the Cheetah instead but before I do that I would probably try replacing all Eneloop batteries to Eneloop XX batteries instead of a mix..

Do you have your speedlites set to use the internal batteries only to support the electronics?
That may help.
My personal test to see if the AAs need replacing is to fire a test at M 1/1 and count the recycle to see if its appreciably longer than when the batteries are fresh.

The Cheetah will definitely get you through even a really long wedding. :-)

Post #19, Aug 01, 2013 11:00:01

nathan_wong
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Oct 2012
13 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

dmward wrote in post #16172597external link
Do you have your speedlites set to use the internal batteries only to support the electronics?
That may help.
My personal test to see if the AAs need replacing is to fire a test at M 1/1 and count the recycle to see if its appreciably longer than when the batteries are fresh.

The Cheetah will definitely get you through even a really long wedding. :-)

Thank you for this suggestion, I will definitely check. I don't think I changed the default settings of my speedlites.

I think I will probably end up the the Cheetah (it is currently out of stock), I really need that much power -- sometimes I have a need to fire flashes at full power or almost full power at wedding reception to create the look that I want.

thanks again!

Post #20, Aug 01, 2013 13:30:18

sponsored links
dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
7,127 posts
Metro Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

nathan_wong wrote in post #16173046external link
Thank you for this suggestion, I will definitely check. I don't think I changed the default settings of my speedlites.

I think I will probably end up the the Cheetah (it is currently out of stock), I really need that much power -- sometimes I have a need to fire flashes at full power or almost full power at wedding reception to create the look that I want.

thanks again!

Then the Cheetah is the best bet.

Post #21, Aug 01, 2013 13:45:34

Whortleberry
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
1,553 posts
Yorkshire, England
[MORE/SHARE]

nathan_wong wrote in post #16173046external link

I think I will probably end up with the Cheetah (it is currently out of stock), I really need that much power -- sometimes I have a need to fire flashes at full power or almost full power at wedding reception to create the look that I want.

thanks again!

Nathan: You probably checked the website yesterday or very early today. It's recently been updated and the L4500 is now shown as IN stock (21:59 GMT 1 August).

Post #22, Aug 01, 2013 16:00:01

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4" Ross Xpres, 6ܽ" Aldis, Super XX in 24 DDS, HP3 in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20. Just one or two other bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about!
FlickRexternal link ◄► The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.09external link ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79external link

auto-clicker
Joined Dec 2009
760 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm going with the Godox battery packs with a couple of extra batteries.

Post #23, Aug 01, 2013 16:37:17

nathan_wong
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Oct 2012
13 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Whortleberry wrote in post #16173423external link
Nathan: You probably checked the website yesterday or very early today. It's recently been updated and the L4500 is now shown as IN stock (21:59 GMT 1 August).

Yep, just ordered one! If all goes well, three more will follow! :D

Post #24, Aug 01, 2013 16:37:55

ejicon
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
1,866 posts
Hollywood, California
[MORE/SHARE]

dmward wrote in post #16172597external link

I had no idea this was possible. Even with a 580EX I? Curious. Can you share a little more about how to do this?

Some great info in here guys.

Post #25, Aug 09, 2013 12:56:58

5D & 30D| Canon 16-35ii f/2.8 L USM| Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | Canon EF 100 f/ 2.8 Macro USM

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
7,127 posts
Metro Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

ejicon wrote in post #16194405external link
I had no idea this was possible. Even with a 580EX I? Curious. Can you share a little more about how to do this?

I'm pretty sure it can be done with the 580EX and sure it can be done with the 580EXII and 600EX-RT.
Its a custom function. different number on each flash so you'll have to check in the manual.

Post #26, Aug 09, 2013 16:09:18

sponsored links
tongki
Joined Oct 2009
390 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

The Loft Studios wrote in post #16167838external link
Since I use the Canon Battery Packs like yourself (I have 4 of them along with 48 recharbles), I'm never concerned about my battery life for my flashes.....

I do concern with your fingers,
it's hot taking out batteries from the charger,
and knowing that you need to look into it after 8 to 10 hours,
and then you have 48 batteries means 6 times put it in and take it out while HOT

also,
you got to keep it in place after using it and separate or labeled it differently,
you can not throw away used batteries, right ? wasting time !
(some part where I did not use rechargeable AA and using Alkaline,
like that easily throw away used alkaline and put the new batteries into the flash,
don't have to worry about put it in the storage again)

and for 6 times charging it could be 3 days ahead of charging all the batteries with 1 charger

Oh, well,
been there done that, it is PAIN !

using rechargeable from Quantum and other similar product definitely better,
you have more time and not wasting time taking care "small batteries"

I'm never concerned about battery for my flashes

Post #27, Aug 10, 2013 11:56:57

EOS 70D x 5 units
Newton FR3, Newton modified bracket, EF 17-40mm x2, EF 70-200mm x1
Quantum Trio x2, T5D-R x1 + FW7Q x1, CoPilot x2, Godox AD-180 x3, Ving 860 x1, FT-16 x2
sorry, no stupid speedlite from Canon !

tongki
Joined Oct 2009
390 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

ejicon wrote in post #16194405external link

flash custom function menu,
if your camera above EOS 40D,
you could open camera menu and look for flash settings,
open custom flash settings, there is a part mentioned about using external power only

based on my experience,
not much difference, recycle time still "stupid" compare to Barebulb flash,
like Quantum, Godox or Cheetah

dmward wrote in post #16173089external link
Then the Cheetah is the best bet.

only for Godox or Cheetah barebulb and speedlites,
Cheetah or Godox Propac is not totally compatible to Quantum flash

some error like check Turbo showing on the display

Post #28, Aug 10, 2013 12:00:19

EOS 70D x 5 units
Newton FR3, Newton modified bracket, EF 17-40mm x2, EF 70-200mm x1
Quantum Trio x2, T5D-R x1 + FW7Q x1, CoPilot x2, Godox AD-180 x3, Ving 860 x1, FT-16 x2
sorry, no stupid speedlite from Canon !

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
7,127 posts
Metro Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

tongki wrote in post #16196533external link
only for Godox or Cheetah barebulb and speedlites,
Cheetah or Godox Propac is not totally compatible to Quantum flash

some error like check Turbo showing on the display

Interesting.
I presume that's with Quantum cable. Wonder if there is an extra pin used for signaling that the Propac doesn't support. Charge status indicator?

Post #29, Aug 11, 2013 09:10:54

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2010
6,155 posts
Silver Spring, MD
[MORE/SHARE]

I have another battery pack question. Does anyone know if you have your flash set to use the internal batteries only for the screen, and then you unplug the external pack, will the flash automatically start using the internal batteries?

Post #30, Aug 11, 2013 09:40:30

Shane
http://www.ReighardPho​tography.comexternal link
www.500px.com/JakAHear​ts
www.facebook.com/Reigh​ardPhotography

LIST NEARBY THREADS
6,970 views & 0 likes for this thread
The best battery pack for 600 EX-RT? Turbo SC Slim?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES