Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st of July 2013 (Wed)   #16
dmward
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: The best battery pack for 600 EX-RT? Turbo SC Slim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshan View Post
Didn't want to start a new thread. I'm in the same boat. Just bought the 600ex rt a week ago.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Pack_for.html

Is this a good battery pack to use?
It appears to be a B&H rebranded Pixel pack. They are good packs, I have several of the Pixel version. If you are using that, or a similar, pack you will also need 24 rechargable AA batteries, Eneloops are very good. Especially the new higher ampHr rated ones. And at least one really good charger/conditioner. When its all added together, the Cheetah 4500 is about the same price.

As discussed above there are other, more attractive options.
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 1st of August 2013 (Thu)   #17
Whortleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmward View Post
It appears to be a B&H rebranded Pixel pack. They are good packs, I have several of the Pixel version. If you are using that, or a similar, pack you will also need 24 rechargable AA batteries, Eneloops are very good. Especially the new higher ampHr rated ones. And at least one really good charger/conditioner. When its all added together, the Cheetah 4500 is about the same price.

Pack 1 - rebranded - US$74.95.
Pack 2 - original brand - US$59.95. https://www.cheetahstand.com/category-s/1923.htm
So ............... an extra US$15 for just a different name printed on the side (which is usually inside the case and hidden anyway)?
You choose!
I chose the Pixel TD381, multiple times like David. Similarly, the Cheetah / Godox is superior in my book - now got those too.
Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4" Ross Xpres, 6" Aldis, Super XX in 24 DDS, HP3 in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20. Just one or two other bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about!
FlickR
UK Railway Photographs 1906-79

Last edited by Whortleberry : 1st of August 2013 (Thu) at 03:43.
Whortleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of August 2013 (Thu)   #18
nathan_wong

Quote:

I have been using these batter packs (I have both Bolt CBP-C1 -- din't know about rebranding!!! and CP-E4 -- purchased when I didn't know about Bolt!!!) and I have Eneloops (2000mAh) / Eneloop XX batteries (2400mAh)) but I still feel that the recycle time got slower towards the end of the wedding. I believe I also have a decent charger that can do reconditioning / soft charging (Powerex Maha MH-C801D)

That's why I was thinking about getting the Cheetah instead but before I do that I would probably try replacing all Eneloop batteries to Eneloop XX batteries instead of a mix..
nathan_wong is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 1st of August 2013 (Thu)   #19
dmward
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_wong View Post
I have been using these batter packs (I have both Bolt CBP-C1 -- din't know about rebranding!!! and CP-E4 -- purchased when I didn't know about Bolt!!!) and I have Eneloops (2000mAh) / Eneloop XX batteries (2400mAh)) but I still feel that the recycle time got slower towards the end of the wedding. I believe I also have a decent charger that can do reconditioning / soft charging (Powerex Maha MH-C801D)

That's why I was thinking about getting the Cheetah instead but before I do that I would probably try replacing all Eneloop batteries to Eneloop XX batteries instead of a mix..
Do you have your speedlites set to use the internal batteries only to support the electronics?
That may help.
My personal test to see if the AAs need replacing is to fire a test at M 1/1 and count the recycle to see if its appreciably longer than when the batteries are fresh.

The Cheetah will definitely get you through even a really long wedding.
Old 1st of August 2013 (Thu)   #20
nathan_wong

Quote:
Do you have your speedlites set to use the internal batteries only to support the electronics?
That may help.
My personal test to see if the AAs need replacing is to fire a test at M 1/1 and count the recycle to see if its appreciably longer than when the batteries are fresh.

The Cheetah will definitely get you through even a really long wedding.
Thank you for this suggestion, I will definitely check. I don't think I changed the default settings of my speedlites.

I think I will probably end up the the Cheetah (it is currently out of stock), I really need that much power -- sometimes I have a need to fire flashes at full power or almost full power at wedding reception to create the look that I want.

thanks again!
Old 1st of August 2013 (Thu)   #21
dmward
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Thank you for this suggestion, I will definitely check. I don't think I changed the default settings of my speedlites.

I think I will probably end up the the Cheetah (it is currently out of stock), I really need that much power -- sometimes I have a need to fire flashes at full power or almost full power at wedding reception to create the look that I want.

thanks again!
Then the Cheetah is the best bet.
Old 1st of August 2013 (Thu)   #22
Whortleberry

Quote:

I think I will probably end up with the Cheetah (it is currently out of stock), I really need that much power -- sometimes I have a need to fire flashes at full power or almost full power at wedding reception to create the look that I want.

thanks again!
Nathan: You probably checked the website yesterday or very early today. It's recently been updated and the L4500 is now shown as IN stock (21:59 GMT 1 August).
Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4" Ross Xpres, 6" Aldis, Super XX in 24 DDS, HP3 in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20. Just one or two other bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about!
FlickR
UK Railway Photographs 1906-79
Whortleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of August 2013 (Thu)   #23
auto-clicker

I'm going with the Godox battery packs with a couple of extra batteries.
auto-clicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of August 2013 (Thu)   #24
nathan_wong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whortleberry View Post
Nathan: You probably checked the website yesterday or very early today. It's recently been updated and the L4500 is now shown as IN stock (21:59 GMT 1 August).
Yep, just ordered one! If all goes well, three more will follow!
Old 9th of August 2013 (Fri)   #25
ejicon

Quote:
I had no idea this was possible. Even with a 580EX I? Curious. Can you share a little more about how to do this?

Some great info in here guys.
Old 9th of August 2013 (Fri)   #26
dmward
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejicon View Post
I had no idea this was possible. Even with a 580EX I? Curious. Can you share a little more about how to do this?

I'm pretty sure it can be done with the 580EX and sure it can be done with the 580EXII and 600EX-RT.
Its a custom function. different number on each flash so you'll have to check in the manual.
Old 10th of August 2013 (Sat)   #27
tongki

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Loft Studios View Post

Since I use the Canon Battery Packs like yourself (I have 4 of them along with 48 recharbles), I'm never concerned about my battery life for my flashes.....
I do concern with your fingers,
it's hot taking out batteries from the charger,
and knowing that you need to look into it after 8 to 10 hours,
and then you have 48 batteries means 6 times put it in and take it out while HOT

also,
you got to keep it in place after using it and separate or labeled it differently,
you can not throw away used batteries, right ? wasting time !
(some part where I did not use rechargeable AA and using Alkaline,
like that easily throw away used alkaline and put the new batteries into the flash,
don't have to worry about put it in the storage again)

and for 6 times charging it could be 3 days ahead of charging all the batteries with 1 charger

Oh, well,
been there done that, it is PAIN !

using rechargeable from Quantum and other similar product definitely better,
you have more time and not wasting time taking care "small batteries"

I'm never concerned about battery for my flashes
sorry, no stupid speedlite from Canon !
tongki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of August 2013 (Sat)   #28
tongki

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejicon View Post

flash custom function menu,
if your camera above EOS 40D,
you could open camera menu and look for flash settings,
open custom flash settings, there is a part mentioned about using external power only

based on my experience,
not much difference, recycle time still "stupid" compare to Barebulb flash,
like Quantum, Godox or Cheetah

Quote:
Then the Cheetah is the best bet.
only for Godox or Cheetah barebulb and speedlites,
Cheetah or Godox Propac is not totally compatible to Quantum flash

some error like check Turbo showing on the display
sorry, no stupid speedlite from Canon !
tongki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of August 2013 (Sun)   #29
dmward
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tongki View Post
only for Godox or Cheetah barebulb and speedlites,
Cheetah or Godox Propac is not totally compatible to Quantum flash

some error like check Turbo showing on the display
Interesting.
I presume that's with Quantum cable. Wonder if there is an extra pin used for signaling that the Propac doesn't support. Charge status indicator?
Old 11th of August 2013 (Sun)   #30
JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop

I have another battery pack question. Does anyone know if you have your flash set to use the internal batteries only for the screen, and then you unplug the external pack, will the flash automatically start using the internal batteries?
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote