Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 30 Jul 2013 (Tuesday) 17:04
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

The best battery pack for 600 EX-RT? Turbo SC Slim?

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Aug 11, 2013 15:52 |  #31

JakAHearts wrote in post #16198396external link
I have another battery pack question. Does anyone know if you have your flash set to use the internal batteries only for the screen, and then you unplug the external pack, will the flash automatically start using the internal batteries?

Yes. However, if the pack goes dead and its plugged in the flash won't fire.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

sponsored links
JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2010
Silver Spring, MD
Aug 12, 2013 08:56 |  #32

dmward wrote in post #16199113external link
Yes. However, if the pack goes dead and its plugged in the flash won't fire.

Good to know. Thanks! :D

Shane
flickr (external link)

ejicon
Goldmember
1,916 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Hollywood, California
Aug 16, 2013 12:28 |  #33

dmward wrote in post #16194858external link
I'm pretty sure it can be done with the 580EX and sure it can be done with the 580EXII and 600EX-RT.
Its a custom function. different number on each flash so you'll have to check in the manual.

tongki wrote in post #16196533external link
flash custom function menu,
if your camera above EOS 40D,
you could open camera menu and look for flash settings,
open custom flash settings, there is a part mentioned about using external power only

based on my experience,
not much difference, recycle time still "stupid" compare to Barebulb flash,
like Quantum, Godox or Cheetah

only for Godox or Cheetah barebulb and speedlites,
Cheetah or Godox Propac is not totally compatible to Quantum flash

some error like check Turbo showing on the display

Thanks for the info you two. Much appreciated.

dmward wrote in post #16168586external link
When you break down and get one, or two, get the flash cable with it. Also, get a one of theseexternal link, its longer and springier. I can put the pack in my back pocket and still have easy movement with the camera.

Any difference between the Paramount cord and the one offered on Cheetah's website besides price?

5D & 30D| Canon 16-35ii f/2.8 L USM| Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | Canon EF 100 f/ 2.8 Macro USM

ejicon
Goldmember
1,916 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Hollywood, California
Aug 21, 2013 13:23 |  #34

One last question. This pack has a lot of warning labels in regards to it's handling and operation... How does this thing do when traveling on an airplane? Can you carry it on along with the rest of my camera gear. I've never had a problem traveling with batteries (AA+Canon Batteries) but this thing is way more powerful. I'm heading out of town next month and will be carry this with me.

5D & 30D| Canon 16-35ii f/2.8 L USM| Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | Canon EF 100 f/ 2.8 Macro USM

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Aug 21, 2013 15:59 |  #35

ejicon wrote in post #16213503external link
Any difference between the Paramount cord and the one offered on Cheetah's website besides price?

The Paramount cable is longer, less springy, and doesn't have a 90* connector at the flash end. The longer less springy aspect is very nice with the battery on one's belt or in a back pocket. The 90* cable end is nice but not a real concern one way or the other.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,718 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Yorkshire, England
Aug 21, 2013 17:48 |  #36

ejicon wrote in post #16227845external link
One last question. This pack has a lot of warning labels in regards to it's handling and operation... How does this thing do when traveling on an airplane? Can you carry it on along with the rest of my camera gear. I've never had a problem traveling with batteries (AA+Canon Batteries) but this thing is way more powerful. I'm heading out of town next month and will be carry this with me.

"Out of town" is about as unspecific as you can get - is that within California, inter-State or International? After recent events, there are now innumerable regulations about (specifically) Lithium batteries but there is no general consensus as yet. The broad thrust of these regs. seems to be severe restrictions on

1. Loose batteries (ie not installed in the equipment they power).
  2. Checked (ie hold) luggage as opposed to cabin baggage.
How, or even IF, these restrictions are implemented is debatable, variable, open to interpretation by Agents and possibly even subject to their comprehension of the different types of lithium battery.
I have twice had spare (loose but securely packaged, with safety covers) Canon lithium batteries queried, let alone something like the CL4500 with considerably greater discharge capacity. The best idea would be to check with your specific airline(s) and airports rather than accept broad, unqualified but well-intentioned advice here. The fact that "Person A" has already done what you want to do isn't any guide as to what may pertain on the day you travel, on the airline(s) you use, on the airports you pass through or even the countries you visit. ASK YOUR CARRIERS!

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

tongki
439 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Aug 30, 2013 02:36 |  #37

ejicon wrote in post #16227845external link

there is one of the reason, Quantum battery still using nimh batteries

yes, there is some notifications about Lithium, BUT,
nowadays, all equipment are using Lithium, right ?

Once, I got small problems in Paris, I go from Hamburg to Paris,
and security in Paris suspect my camera bag and they pointed out to Turbo 2x2,
so, they take the Turbo into a room and do some check,
they did not explain about what they are afraid of, that time,
I don't even know about Lithium matters, maybe because they can not speak english,
don't know, but Turbo 2x2 are passed

lesson learned,
since then, I carry Lithium batteries on baggage and secure it

maybe we should ask to people who carry R/C cars, plane, chopter,
they do using lots of Lithium, they said they always carry batteries in baggage

EOS 70D x 2 units + EOS 7D mark II x3 units
Newton FR3, Newton modified bracket, EF 17-40mm x4,EF 24-70mm f/2.8 x2, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 x2
Quantum Trio x2, T5D-R x1 + FW7Q x1, CoPilot x2, Godox AD-180 x5
Propac PB960 head x12, PB960 battery x10
sorry, no stupid speedlite from Canon !

tongki
439 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Aug 30, 2013 02:39 |  #38

dmward wrote in post #16198347external link
Interesting.
I presume that's with Quantum cable. Wonder if there is an extra pin used for signaling that the Propac doesn't support. Charge status indicator?

I am afraid it is related to Amps,
I also have Godox 2 to 1 cables and still no effect,
that's why I said, I doubt about the effectiveness of Godox 2 to 1 cable

extra pin like you said, well, the unit will not turn on,
the unit works fine, unless, I think recycle time is not as good as using Turbo

I am planning to make a special circuit to make 328VDC output and 8VDC output,
connected to Godox and Quantum cables

the battery performance measured by C,
based on my experience not related to flash recycle performance,
it is more like limited to step down trafo circuit resulting the output current

I got Turbo 2x2 with broken circuit, it is taken off from the board,
the result is check Turbo, that time, I haven't think about measuring the output,
is it 328VDC or 8VDC output not correct

Quantum cable based on my experience, only 3 cables are connected

Canon high voltage cable, only 2 cables are connected, the other one are dummy

EOS 70D x 2 units + EOS 7D mark II x3 units
Newton FR3, Newton modified bracket, EF 17-40mm x4,EF 24-70mm f/2.8 x2, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 x2
Quantum Trio x2, T5D-R x1 + FW7Q x1, CoPilot x2, Godox AD-180 x5
Propac PB960 head x12, PB960 battery x10
sorry, no stupid speedlite from Canon !

ejicon
Goldmember
1,916 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Hollywood, California
Aug 30, 2013 17:17 |  #39

Whortleberry wrote in post #16228542external link
"Out of town" is about as unspecific as you can get - is that within California, inter-State or International?

I'm heading from Los Angeles to Reno, Nevada.

I'm flying Southwest Airlines. I checked their flying regulations and this is the reason I posted my question and wanted to see if others had any input:

Turns out I can carry a Lithium Battery Pack that's up to 100 and 300 watt-hours. The Cheetah Pack is: 42 Watt-Hours.

I'm golden.

sponsored links

16,425 views & 0 likes for this thread
The best battery pack for 600 EX-RT? Turbo SC Slim?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.