Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts
Thread started 02 Aug 2013 (Friday) 11:24
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Joey Cape and Scorpios @ Café Campus

SuburbanSteve
114 posts
Joined Feb 2011
suburb near Montreal
Aug 02, 2013 11:24 |  #1

A few shots of Joey Cape and Scorpios at the Café Campus in Montreal.

I'm still in the 'steep learning curve' part of my adventure in live music photography, so here's a question: I've been looking through several live music portfolios and aesthetically, I tend to prefer more 'rugged,' high-contrast, desaturated or B/W, dramatic, or 'vintage-look' images over super-sharp, color-balanced, 'true-rendition' images, so naturally I tend to shoot and process my own in that way.

to try to keep this short, I got a comment on another forum to the effect that the clipped blacks, for example in the last photo I posted, was unacceptable and maybe even ruined the photo. I feel differently about it. It's not my favorite image by a long shot, but the dark, quasi-silhouette effect is kinda what I was going for. So I'd like to hear from others regarding that--or anything else really--so's I can further my reflection about this.

You can see the rest of the gallery here (external link), if you're interested.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

stevebourdeauphotosexternal link

PMGphotog
325 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Aug 03, 2013 14:36 |  #2

I like your shots mate. And

I got a comment on another forum to the effect that the clipped blacks, for example in the last photo I posted, was unacceptable and maybe even ruined the photo

I like it for what it's worth. It's a style/treatment of a shot that you made so how can it be unacceptable or ruin the shot? Does it reflect the artist or the song he was playing? Does he like it?

If we all did the same treatments on our shots then it would be pretty boring :) Stick with your vision if you think it is right.

Canon EOS 1000d /60d : 18-55mm IS kit lens. Canon 50mm 1.8 MK2. Tamron 55-200mm F4-5.6, battery grip to make my cam look pro..and 30mm Sigma F1.4 recently added
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/patmcguire2011/external link

SuburbanSteve
THREAD ­ STARTER
114 posts
Joined Feb 2011
suburb near Montreal
Aug 03, 2013 21:14 |  #3

Pat McGuire wrote in post #16178304external link
If we all did the same treatments on our shots then it would be pretty boring :) Stick with your vision if you think it is right.

Thanks Pat, I appreciate the nice words. I agree with you fully, and I'm not going to change my style at the first negative comments. Still though I'm always on the lookout for ways to improve, so I'm open to other's opinions regarding the aesthetics of live music photography, and I'm always curious to understand what makes other's work interesting or boring in my eyes.

Again, though, happy you like 'em.

Cheers.

stevebourdeauphotosexternal link

Iscariotau
Joined Jun 2011
Sydney Australia
Aug 03, 2013 22:03 |  #4

the last shot is actually my favourite.

MyFlickrexternal link

BJWOK
Cream of the Crop
5,409 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2007
Sydney, New South Wales
Aug 14, 2017 21:10 |  #5

Looks like some dead links? Any chance of a re-up?

My name is Benon (BJWOK are my initials) :)
www.bjwok.com (external link) <<-- NEW LIGHTROOM CC & LIGHTROOM CC CLASSIC PRESETS FOR MUSIC PHOTOGRAPHERS
Benon Koebsch - Photographer (external link) (Facebook)
Gives A Minute (external link) (YouTube channel)

856 views & 0 likes for this thread
Joey Cape and Scorpios @ Café Campus
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.