Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 12 Aug 2013 (Monday) 23:59
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Google Chrome or Operator Error?

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
7,588 posts
Joined Nov 2005
San Diego County, California, USA
Aug 12, 2013 23:59 |  #1

I had been using Internet Explorer with absolutely no problems sending and receiving images via Gmail.

However, my Internet Explorer became infected with malware and I quit using it. I used Google Chrome instead which was free of the malware. I had been using Google Chrome to access my emails when strange things started to happen.

I receive a lot of images of Maltese rescue dogs in JPEG from various Maltese Rescue Volunteers across the nation and it is my job to edit and improve these images so we can post them on Petfinder.com.

One foster edited her images in Picasa and when she sent them to me and I opened them in Google Chrome in Gmail, they were only around 3/4" x 1" in size. I thought that the Picasa was the problem until, I received some images from another volunteer who had edited the images in Photoshop Elements. When I opened these images, they were also only around 3/4" x 1" in size. This was driving me crazy. I sent myself some JPEG images which I had saved using Photoshop CS6 in JPEG to 8" x 10" in size at 100 pixels per inch. The darn things also opened to right around 3/4" x 1".

Then to troubleshoot the problem, I opened Gmail using Mozilla Firefox and opened the images from the the two volunteers. I also have Mozilla Firefox which is free of the malware that was infecting my Internet Explorer. When I selected "download images", a window opened to ask me what program I wanted to use to open the images. I selected my Photoshop CS6 and the darn things opened to 4" x 6". I sent my 8" x 10" images via Gmail through Mozilla Firefox and they opened to 8" x 10".

I don't know what had happens in Google Chrome but, I am glad that I can avoid the problem by using Mozilla Firefox! But, does anyone know what might have happened to he images using Google Chrome?

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007
London, UK
Aug 13, 2013 04:03 |  #2
banned

Tell me, have you got rid of the malware or just left it there?

Using different browsers won't stop malware infection. I don't know how you measured the photos to become 3/4" x 1" in size, it is probably that some browsers upscale photos, that is what I've noticed when I am developing my website

Also, you may have a setting that only allows small photos to be sent. You say "sent", how are you sending it? Via mobile/cell phone?

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012
Los Angeles
Aug 13, 2013 12:27 |  #3

RPCrowe wrote in post #16203309external link
However, my Internet Explorer became infected with malware and I quit using it. I used Google Chrome instead which was free of the malware.

Malware doesn't infect browsers only. It infects the whole system. I wouldn't trust a system after it's been compromised. Sorry, I have no real answer but I seriously suggest you quit using your computer and take care of that malware infection. Switching to different browsers won't help eliminate your malware problem.

SkedAddled
Goldmember
1,585 posts
Joined Jul 2008
West Michigan
Aug 13, 2013 18:03 |  #4

I'll have to agree with morph2_7 to some extent on this matter, but the method taken by the OP makes no sense to me. Either images are fine, or they're not. Rendering at various apparent sizes are the territory and settings of individual software programs, and not a global setting of an operating system.

This appears to be an issue which needs as much specific information as can be possibly given:
*Operating system
*Browser version(s)
*Hardware driver version(s)

As well as some very specific details about what the conditions were like prior to the situation,
what the conditions were like during the suspected time of change, and what has specifically
been done in an attempt to alleviate the condition(s).

And even when all is said and done here, I have a strong feeling that this is a situation which cannot
be properly resolved without a knowledgeable technician sitting in the driver's seat beside the OP.

CraigΣ 10-20|SP 28-80 AD2|SP 60-300 AD2|Soligor 75-260 M42|Soligor 400 T4|Soligor C/D 500 T2 cat|Zuiko 50 1.8|Vivitar 28 2.8 OM|Hanimar 135 3.5 13-blade M42|Even more Manual-Focus Glass
Of course I'm all right! Why? What have you heard?!?

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Aug 13, 2013 18:11 |  #5

Assuming that your 8"×10" at 100 PPI is coming out as a file size of 1000×800 pixels, then if the image is appearing on screen at a true size of 1" × 4/5" (rather than 3/4) then your screen would seem to be running at around 1000 PPI.

How are you opening the image in the web browser? are you just calling the .JPG file at as the last part of the full URL? Or are you embedding the image in some sort of HTML page? If it is being opened by some HTML there is the possibility that the calling tag in the HTML has a fixed size allocated to it that is causing the image file to be resized on the fly.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,592 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Aug 13, 2013 20:35 |  #6

When you download/save the images from Gmail in Chrome and open them in Photoshop, what is the image size in pixels? And if you do the same using Gmail in Firefox, what is the image size?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

sponsored links

911 views & 0 likes for this thread
Google Chrome or Operator Error?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.