Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th of August 2013 (Thu)   #1
wanner

Default OP/TECH Pro strap over shoulder?

A question to everyone with the optech pro / pro loop strap.
Can you quickly and easily access your camera when wearing the strap over your shoulder instead of around your neck?

Reason I'm asking is because black rapid models and similar brands that make sling straps use the tripod mount I figure there must be an advantage to that?
wanner is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 15th of August 2013 (Thu)   #2
ed rader
"I am not the final word"

Default Re: OP/TECH Pro strap over shoulder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanner View Post
A question to everyone with the optech pro / pro loop strap.
Can you quickly and easily access your camera when wearing the strap over your shoulder instead of around your neck?

Reason I'm asking is because black rapid models and similar brands that make sling straps use the tripod mount I figure there must be an advantage to that?

yes but I use http://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-Sy.../dp/B002R6KZLO

and I am broad shouldered so unless you are really huge this should work well for you. black rapid has 0 (zero) appeal to me. I won't hang my camera from one (very expensive) point.

5D3, SL1, 16-35L f4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-300L, 100-400L, 35f2 IS, 15mm FE (sigma), 270ex II, gitzo, markins, benro
ed rader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of August 2013 (Thu)   #3
wanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed rader View Post
yes but I use http://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-Sy.../dp/B002R6KZLO

and I am broad shouldered so unless you are really huge this should work well for you. black rapid has 0 (zero) appeal to me. I won't hang my camera from one (very expensive) point.
Yeah, fastening it to the tripod mount doesn't appeal to me either.

However It's not the length that worries me but rather the way it's fastened to the strap (the regular camera strap mounts on each side). What I'm wondering is if it works good to pull the camera from hanging on your side up to your eyes, or I'd the strap will get in the way and you have to rearrange it.
wanner is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 15th of August 2013 (Thu)   #4
joeblack2022
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanner View Post
However It's not the length that worries me but rather the way it's fastened to the strap (the regular camera strap mounts on each side). What I'm wondering is if it works good to pull the camera from hanging on your side up to your eyes, or I'd the strap will get in the way and you have to rearrange it.
The only way you'll find out is to try it for yourself. I do this with my Optech and it works fine for me. The only thing is that the pad doesn't slide so it is a 2-handed operation for the most part.

It's easier to do with a BR since the camera slides up and down the strap, but the pad slides off too easily unless you spend more money for one of these:

http://www.blackrapid.com/products/brad
Old 15th of August 2013 (Thu)   #5
ed rader

[quote=wanner;16210859]Yeah, fastening it to the tripod mount doesn't appeal to me either.

However It's not the length that worries me but rather the way it's fastened to the strap (the regular camera strap mounts on each side). What I'm wondering is if it works good to pull the camera from hanging on your side up to your eyes, or I'd the strap will get in the way and you have to rearrange it.[/quote]

doesn't cause me any problems. i usually wear my camera this way when i'm walking around. if I am more involved in shooting I just keep the strap around my neck. even on tripod I keep the strap around my neck -- because with extenders it's long enough -- unless I am doing long exposures and there's no one around me.

I would try it first because it's a lot cheaper solution than BR especially when you start adding straps and plates. of course BR to some is a fashion statement .

5D3, SL1, 16-35L f4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-300L, 100-400L, 35f2 IS, 15mm FE (sigma), 270ex II, gitzo, markins, benro
Old 15th of August 2013 (Thu)   #6
Craign

Works good if shooting landscape, not good for portrait. Much more comfortable than using the OEM strap with my gripped 50D with 70-200 f/2.8 lens. The strap seems to always be over the viewfinder in portrait. I will remove it this winter when shooting basketball, which is nearly always shot in portrait.

Overall: Good value for my needs.
Canon EOS 50D w/Canon Battery Grip; Tokina 12mm - 24mm f/4 PRO DX II; Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS; Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS; Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS;Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM; Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS FOR SALE; Canon Extender EF 1.4x II; Canon Extender EF 2x II; Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash
Craign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of August 2013 (Thu)   #7
ed rader

If you do try the optech I recommend the classic, which is my favorite strap.

Old 15th of August 2013 (Thu)   #8
joeblack2022
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craign View Post
Works good if shooting landscape, not good for portrait. Much more comfortable than using the OEM strap with my gripped 50D with 70-200 f/2.8 lens. The strap seems to always be over the viewfinder in portrait. I will remove it this winter when shooting basketball, which is nearly always shot in portrait.

Overall: Good value for my needs.
Since your body is gripped, have you tried using the bottom strap attachment point on the grip instead of the top right one? It will probably work better in portrait orientation this way.

Also, this way the lens hangs down close to your body and does not stick out.
Old 15th of August 2013 (Thu)   #9
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)

I "wear my camera like a purse" far more often than around my neck, ( like 85%/15% ) and I use Optech/POTN strap.

Works well for me.
CyberDyneSystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of August 2013 (Thu)   #10
Craign

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack2022 View Post
Since your body is gripped, have you tried using the bottom strap attachment point on the grip instead of the top right one? It will probably work better in portrait orientation this way.

Also, this way the lens hangs down close to your body and does not stick out.
I use the right camera attachment point and the bottom right grip attachment point. This is not typical. Don't ask why I am using it this way. I might have seen a photo or something on You Tube and then I might have had a dream. It works fine like this as the lens lies next to my body.

I seldom shoot portrait except for basketball. I will remove it and use a hand strap then.
Canon EOS 50D w/Canon Battery Grip; Tokina 12mm - 24mm f/4 PRO DX II; Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS; Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS; Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS;Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM; Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS FOR SALE; Canon Extender EF 1.4x II; Canon Extender EF 2x II; Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash
Craign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of August 2013 (Thu)   #11
CanonCameraFan

Considering all the rave of BR type straps, I bought a Sunsniper from my local store, about $85. High quality, theft resistant, etc. I hated it. The Shoulder portion seemed very heavy, slick and always fell down. Quite annoying, in spite of all I read of the BR lovers and similar. It simply isn't right for me. I missed my Op/Tech straps of years gone by. Well, after seeing they had a Slider version but with their stickier shoulder strap, I had to try it. Loved it!

Advantages were it is lighter, more flexible, comfortable to store and use, easier to maneuver, held at 2 lugs, freed tripod mount for my Manfrotto plate, less bulky both in use and especially in storage, color selection, 15 years previous experience and price (about $25) . Having my camera stolen by a knife wielding snatcher is low on my list of fears/concerns. I like it so much, I am going to get another for my spare. I did buy extensions, and used just 1 of the 2 to get the perfect length for me, even though I'm just of average height.

BTW; on subject of camera being only held at one point: Tripod mount is a risk, but never bothered me (except loss of QD plate). However, even with 2 points of connection with conventional straps, it still has risk of one point of attachment as the main strap it self could slide apart in some manner, unsnap, untie... Not common if properly assembled of course, but just be aware and be certain all is tight, regardless of brand/style!

Op/Tech actually sells a velcro type piece to wrap around it's Military style connectors to assure they never separate. I never had that problem, except one connector when I was in the military, on my TA-50 strap!
EOS 40D w/BG-E2N, EOS 40D w/BG-E2, 550EX, 430EX II, Sunpak 622 Pro, Opteka 6.5mm/3.5, Tokina AT-X PRO DX 12-24/4.0, Canon EF 100/2.0 USM, Canon EF 70-300/4-5.6 L IS USM, Quantums 1 & 1+, Tamrac 614 Bag & 787 Backpack, Dyna-Lite 500 W&P...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnebersole/sets/

Last edited by CanonCameraFan : 15th of August 2013 (Thu) at 19:08.
CanonCameraFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of August 2013 (Thu)   #12
ed rader

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonCameraFan View Post
Considering all the rave of BR type straps, I bought a Sunsniper from my local store, about $85. High quality, theft resistant, etc. I hated it. The Shoulder portion seemed very heavy, slick and always fell down. Quite annoying, in spite of all I read of the BR lovers and similar. It simply isn't right for me. I missed my Op/Tech straps of years gone by. Well, after seeing they had a Slider version but with their stickier shoulder strap, I had to try it. Loved it!

Advantages were it is lighter, more flexible, comfortable to store and use, easier to maneuver, held at 2 lugs, freed tripod mount for my Manfrotto plate, less bulky both in use and especially in storage, color selection, 15 years previous experience and price (about $25) . Having my camera stolen by a knife wielding snatcher is low on my list of fears/concerns. I like it so much, I am going to get another for my spare. I did buy extensions, and used just 1 of the 2 to get the perfect length for me, even though I'm just of average height.

BTW; on subject of camera being only held at one point: Tripod mount is a risk, but never bothered me (except loss of QD plate). However, even with 2 points of connection with conventional straps, it still has risk of one point of attachment as the main strap it self could slide apart in some manner, unsnap, untie... Not common if properly assembled of course, but just be aware and be certain all is tight, regardless of brand/style!

Op/Tech actually sells a velcro type piece to wrap around it's Military style connectors to assure they never separate. I never had that problem, except one connector when I was in the military, on my TA-50 strap!
an optech that slides? let me go a do a quick google search .

Old 16th of August 2013 (Fri)   #13
clacson

Quote:
an optech that slides? let me go a do a quick google search .
Here you have it:
http://optechusa.com/straps/utility-strap-sling.html
clacson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of August 2013 (Fri)   #14
ed rader

Quote:
Originally Posted by clacson View Post
I looked at that earlier. for $25 i'm going to have to give it a try. looks interesting!

Old 16th of August 2013 (Fri)   #15
clacson

Quote:
I looked at that earlier. for $25 i'm going to have to give it a try. looks interesting!
I made the same decision and ordered mine today.
clacson is offline   Reply With Quote